What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Brunetti, Gaetano (1744-1798) - String Quartets w/ Anton Steck & Schuppanzigh Quartett - this composer is 'new' to me but has been recommended in these pages; an Italian who spent his adult life at the Spanish court of the late 18th century, and a contemporary of Boccherini - Brunetti wrote a LOT of music (esp. chamber works & symphonies), but little has been published and even much less recorded - this guy is good & needs some further exploration!  If you like classical SQs, this recording will be a joy!

Berens, Hermann (1826-1880) - String Trios w/ Trio Zilliacus Persson Raitinen (last names of the three women performers) - another new composer to me, but a strong recommendation in a recent issue of Fanfare, and I do love trio music!  Both recent purchases w/ the latter comin' up next!  :D

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2009, 02:16:04 PM
SHOSTAKOVICH | Symphony No 9
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

This set is a winner, isn't it, Ray?!  :D

Fantastic, Brian!  :) I should someday purchase it, instead of the library.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2009, 02:26:45 PM
MOAR!

SHOSTAKOVICH | Symphony No 10
WDR Symphony Orchestra
Rudolf Barshai

Although I hear nothing wrong with this performance at all, I do enjoy the Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra/Sony recording better.  It really kicks ass!  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 20, 2009, 03:44:54 PM
Although I hear nothing wrong with this performance at all, I do enjoy the Ormandy/Philadelphia Orchestra/Sony recording better.  It really kicks ass!  :)

I have always found it is quite challenging to find any new Ormandy's CD's.

ChamberNut

Quote from: Coopmv on May 20, 2009, 04:08:49 PM

Yes.  I think the one I was referring to is out-of-print.  :(

George

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 20, 2009, 04:27:02 PM
Yes.  I think the one I was referring to is out-of-print.  :(

Indeed it is.

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on May 20, 2009, 04:08:49 PM
Frankly, the absence of an Ormandy jumbo-box set at this point is appalling. They have an "Original Jacket Collection" with ten of his albums, but that's by no means comprehensive, and albums of his like the Shostakovich 10 on Sony, the uncut '70s Rachmaninov Symphony No 2*, and more are going unprinted and unplayed. If they started rolling out jumbo Ormandy boxes a la Karajan, I'd be all over 'em.

*My favorite recording of the piece by a margin so big it's silly.

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, another MDT special I got a few weeks ago ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2009, 04:51:56 PM
Frankly, the absence of an Ormandy jumbo-box set at this point is appalling. They have an "Original Jacket Collection" with ten of his albums, but that's by no means comprehensive, and albums of his like the Shostakovich 10 on Sony, the uncut '70s Rachmaninov Symphony No 2*, and more are going unprinted and unplayed. If they started rolling out jumbo Ormandy boxes a la Karajan, I'd be all over 'em.

*My favorite recording of the piece by a margin so big it's silly.

Didn't Ormandy make a few hundred recordings with the PO?

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on May 20, 2009, 04:54:17 PM
Didn't Ormandy make a few hundred recordings with the PO?
He's probably one of the most recorded performers ever ... but Sony has, for instance, an 80 CD Glenn Gould box set ...

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2009, 05:08:33 PM
He's probably one of the most recorded performers ever ... but Sony has, for instance, an 80 CD Glenn Gould box set ...

I bought that 80-CD set from Amazon for $109 plus free shipping.  The goal was to get all of Gould's JS Bach keyboard works since I am a Bach fanatic ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on May 20, 2009, 04:53:05 PM
Now playing CD1 from this set, another MDT special I got a few weeks ago ...

For those interested in the orchestral works of Debussy & Ravel, I've owned plenty of different recordings, including the one shown above (left) posted by Stuart, but I finally bought an 8-CD box set (above, right inserted), i.e. the Jean Martinon's classic EMI Debussy and Ravel cycles from the 1970s - just an excellent purchase for me, both composers wonderfully interpreted w/ excellent sound - 8 5* Amazonian Reviews; for ONE-STOP shopping, this is a great consideration!  ;D

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan on May 20, 2009, 05:19:14 PM
For those interested in the orchestral works of Debussy & Ravel, I've owned plenty of different recordings, including the one shown above (left) posted by Stuart, but I finally bought an 8-CD box set (above, right inserted), i.e. the Jean Martinon's classic EMI Debussy and Ravel cycles from the 1970s - just an excellent purchase for me, both composers wonderfully interpreted w/ excellent sound - 8 5* Amazonian Reviews; for ONE-STOP shopping, this is a great consideration!  ;D
Dave, be sure to supplement that box with this exceptional CD of orchestrations of Debussy's piano music by Caplet, Ansermet, Ravel and Stokowski:

The sonics are very fine on this SACD hybrid, but the orchestral playing is really special - remarkably beautiful! The works include Children's Corner, the Petit Suite, six highly rewarding "Epigraphs Antiques," and two different orchestrations of "Clair de Lune." Marvelous music, a really relaxing but engaging experience. I highly recommend it.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on May 20, 2009, 05:51:12 PM
Dave, be sure to supplement that box with this exceptional CD of orchestrations of Debussy's piano music by Caplet, Ansermet, Ravel and Stokowski:

The sonics are very fine on this SACD hybrid, but the orchestral playing is really special - remarkably beautiful! The works include Children's Corner, the Petit Suite, six highly rewarding "Epigraphs Antiques," and two different orchestrations of "Clair de Lune." Marvelous music, a really relaxing but engaging experience. I highly recommend it.

The Canadian label ATMA has issued some very fine recordings.  I bought a number of them recently.

SonicMan46

Good evening, Brian - thanks for the above recommendation; superlative reviews also on Amazon - will add to my 'wish list' - I enjoy orchestral 'transcriptions' if done well and these seem to be TOP NOTCH!  Dave  :D

Coopmv

Brian

Quote from: SonicMan on May 20, 2009, 06:03:37 PM
Good evening, Brian - thanks for the above recommendation; superlative reviews also on Amazon - will add to my 'wish list' - I enjoy orchestral 'transcriptions' if done well and these seem to be TOP NOTCH!  Dave  :D
Here's another brief review to add to the anticipation!  :D

Teresa

I second Brian's recommendations, this Debussy SACD is superb both musically and sonically, one of my favorites.

Valentino

God Kristi himmelfartsdags morgen!

ATMA classics should get into the hirez download market. A very interesting disk that Debussy.

---

With no Bach cantata for Ascension Day in my collection (oh horrors!), I randomly picked BWV 180 'Schmücke dich, o liebe Seele'.
Cristophe Coin leads Christoph Prégardien, Gotthold Schwarz, Barbara Schlick, Andreas Scholl, Ensemble Baroque de Limoges and Concerto Vocale Leipzig.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Valentino

Artur Schnabel plays LvB op. 31/1. I think the Naxos transfer has struck a very good compromise soundwise.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma