What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

Just finished a second run-through of Mario Brunello and Andrea Lucchesini playing Beethoven's complete music for Cello and Piano.  Warm, broad, lyrical, it's exceptionally nice to listen to.  Not my favorite takes on these works, but still worth listening to many times.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

George

Schubert
D 960
Sofronitsky
Live

Henk

Fëanor

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 05:18:54 AM
Delighted to be of service to you, neighbor!

I have the original single-disc release of the Jansons, which includes a splendid rendition of the Shostakovich orchestration of Musorgsky's Songs & Dances of Death. So I am hoping this is what the "ArkivCD" reissue may be!

It is in fact.  :) ... http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=73330

karlhenning

Excellent, Feanor; that there is one delicious disc!

Lethevich

Handel - [some] Chandos Anthems (Christophers, Sixteen)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

jlaurson

Beethoven, op.18/1, op. 59/1
Hagen Quartet, DG

Like four needles through one piece of musical cloth.

"Chaconne"
Buson, Brahms & Lutz on BACH's Chaconne

After reviewing THIS CD, I had to get this 'predecessor'.
Loving it already, on first listen.

Keemun

I really like this symphony, but truth be told, I usually skip the third movement because it gets on my nerves.  So I guess you could say I really like three-fourths of this symphony.  ;D
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

George

Beethoven
Op. 51
Bagatelles
Richter
Praga

Brian

BEETHOVEN | Piano Concerto No 4
Russell Sherman, piano
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Vaclav Neumann

George

Quote from: Brian on June 10, 2009, 02:59:53 PM
BEETHOVEN | Piano Concerto No 4
Russell Sherman, piano
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Vaclav Neumann

niiiiiiiiice.  8)

karlhenning

Berlioz
Grande symphonie funèbre et triomphale, Opus 15
Colin Davis cond

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

ChamberNut

Strauss, R.

Eine Alpensinfonie, op. 64

Staatskapelle Dresden
Rudolf Kempe
EMI Classics

My favorite Strauss composition and one of my favorite of all orchestral works.  8)

*Andy - This one's for you!  0:)

Drasko

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 05:21:09 AM
Probably, the metronome marking that Shostakovich inked for the second movement is impossibly fast for any orchestra. 

What would be the movement timing if Shostakovich metronome markings would be observed?
Mitropoulos drove NewYork Philharmonic through utterly breakneck speed to about three and a half minutes iirc.

op.64/5

karlhenning

Quote from: Drasko on June 10, 2009, 04:08:53 PM
What would be the movement timing if Shostakovich metronome markings would be observed?
Mitropoulos drove NewYork Philharmonic through utterly breakneck speed to about three and a half minutes iirc.

Not sure (that's a relatively simple math problem I can do later when I fetch the score from upstairs).  Maksim Dmitiyevich's Allegro runs 4:18, Kondrashin's, 4:09.  Ančerl's runs a mighty brisk 3:51, and that is likely the fastest I've ever heard an orchestra manage it.

Lilas Pastia

Richard Arnell: chamber music. Trios, string quintet, a solo cello suite etc. The Cello Suite is an important and very rewarding work. The rest is generally good, with various levels of interest. I'll definitely put this back in th eplayer from time to time. and wallow in the Cello Suite.

Bizet :L'Arlésienne, André Cluytens and a French orchestra (too lazy to get up and check >:D). Very good, in okay sound (1953).

Gounod: symphony no 2. Igor Markevitch and the Lamoureux Orchestra. Gounod's second is his contribution to the world of the symphony. He did what he does best (he was a great tunesmith and a master craftsman), but a deeply emotional and intellectual work it ain't. think of a modernized, amplified Weber symphony. Very good, and expertly put across by the berst possible advocates.

Havergal Brian: Symphonies 22, 23, 24, 26, Elegy. The latter is a ver satisfying work. As is the very short 22nd. After two hearings the jury is still out on 23, 24 and 26.

Brian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 10, 2009, 04:33:37 PM
Not sure (that's a relatively simple math problem I can do later when I fetch the score from upstairs).  Maksim Dmitiyevich's Allegro runs 4:18, Kondrashin's, 4:09.  Ančerl's runs a mighty brisk 3:51, and that is likely the fastest I've ever heard an orchestra manage it.
Skrowaczewski/Halle gets through in 4:09, Karajan digital in 4:16, but! These kids do it in 3:54... :)

http://www.youtube.com/v/2ZbJOE9zNjw

Simply phenomenal (and not just for speed) - the nonplussed, detached-looking blonde man in the blue shirt in the front row is a person whom I will never be able to understand.