What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived last week ...

Q, this is one tangible benefit of being a member of GMG, I get to learn about new labels I did not even know exist.  Glossa is a great label in that it makes many of these rarely recorded works of early music available ...    ;D

Henk

Disappointing, and badly recorded.

Disappointing.

Great!

Lethevich

Quote from: Conor71 on October 09, 2009, 05:51:06 PM

Great choices! An underrated pick.

Quote from: erato on October 09, 2009, 02:27:52 PM
He lived right up the road from my home and I saw him several time at concerts. Both he and Grieg lived right around the corner.

Dang, despite living in a densely populated country, I don't think that my area has any even moderate classical claim to fame, other than the title of a Holst rhapsody ::) Sæverud must've stood out. He had an amazingly characterful face - the kind that if seen carved as a bust, you would suspect the features were exaggerated. The cover of one CD I own (violin works, Simax) also implies he wore pretty fancy clothes, too :D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Conor71

Quote from: Lethe on October 10, 2009, 05:13:38 AM
Why thank you  :D

Now listening to:
Glasunov: Violin Concerto - Heifetz/Hendl/RCAVSO

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Coopmv on October 10, 2009, 04:42:51 AM
Sarge, How do you like this recording?

It's a bit over the top  :D ...but, yeah, I love it. Not something I put on very often though (Previn, Mravinsky and Szell get more play).

Bernstein has a much older complete Tchaikovsky set with the NYPO from the what some consider to be the golden age of the NYPO, i.e. when he was the conductor.

I haven't heard it but may investigate. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

The new erato

Quote from: Lethe on October 10, 2009, 05:13:38 AM

Dang, despite living in a densely populated country, I don't think that my area has any even moderate classical claim to fame, other than the title of a Holst rhapsody ::) Sæverud must've stood out. He had an amazingly characterful face - the kind that if seen carved as a bust, you would suspect the features were exaggerated. The cover of one CD I own (violin works, Simax) also implies he wore pretty fancy clothes, too :D

He was a bit of a dandy, and quite colorful. His home is now a museum with a very fine park for walking.

Here's a link to its website (in English):

http://www.kunstmuseeneibergen.no/Default.asp?enhet=siljustol&sp=2

and a picture:

Keemun

Bruckner
Symphony No. 7

Blomstedt
Staatskapelle Dresden
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Coopmv

Now playing this CD, another Glossa CD I received earlier in the week ...

Bogey

Picked up this set of London vinyl yesterday and am enjoying it.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Opus106

Quote from: Harry on October 10, 2009, 04:17:58 AM
Sure...because its good! :)

As Karl would say: It's. It's. It's. It's. It's.

;) ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Aye, but Harry gets a goodwill pass.

"JdP" used up his grace period long, long, long ago  8)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Bogey on October 10, 2009, 06:58:28 AM
Picked up this set of London vinyl yesterday and am enjoying it.

Interesting timing, Bill. Mom & I watched Quantum of Solace last night (and, you may recall, a Eurotrash production of Tosca was the backdrop for one scene).

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: Henk on October 10, 2009, 04:56:50 AM

Disappointing, and badly recorded.

Henk - boy, that Aimard set got some excellent 5* reviews on Amazon, including a superlative one by Scott Morrison! 

Just received a package from BRO of Hyperion CDs, including the one above w/ Angela Hewitt playing Messiaen - listening to the earlier Preludes at the moment and enjoying.

Messiaen has been 'on & off' my radar screen - use to have some organ discs, but could not really tolerate the music (probably just me?) - but would like to explore his orchestral & piano compositions - except for this new CD, I just own a disc w/ the Quartet for the End of Time - so 'wide open' for suggestions!  :)

secondwind

Elgar, Enigma Variations
Vaughan Williams, Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus
Michael Tippett, Ritual Dances from The Midsummer Marriage

BBC National Orchestra of Wales

Listening my way through a stack of BBC magazine CDs.  Something old (Elgar), something new to me (Vaughan Williams and Tippett pieces).

The new erato

I have it in its older, 3disc, incarnation. A magical score.

Coopmv

Now playing this CD, which arrived earlier this week from BRO ...

Lethevich

Quote from: secondwind on October 10, 2009, 08:15:27 AM
Elgar, Enigma Variations
Vaughan Williams, Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus
Michael Tippett, Ritual Dances from The Midsummer Marriage

BBC National Orchestra of Wales

Listening my way through a stack of BBC magazine CDs.  Something old (Elgar), something new to me (Vaughan Williams and Tippett pieces).

A favourable position to be in - these works are magical.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.