What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Que on October 31, 2009, 11:27:32 AM

CD 2 - "Meyerbeer et le grand opéra"
Arias from operas by Giacomo Meyerbeer, Ambriose Thomas, Ernest Reyer and Camille Saint-Saens.
In recordings from 1904(!) to 1937, sung by illustrious singers from the past like: André Pernet, André Arkor, Fernand Ansseau, César Vezzani, Felia Litvinne, Arthur Endrèze, Jean-Emile Vanni-Marcoux, Maurice Renaud, Janine Micheau and others.

Q

Saw that EMI red flag, Que.  How is the sound?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Haydn, Joseph - String Quartets, Op. 55 - for about a week or so now, I've been comparing the 'newly acquired' box of the complete Haydn SQs w/ alternates that I already own - today the Buchbergers vs. the Lindsays - believe that my preference is w/ the Buchbergers at the moment in this comparison - :D

Que

Quote from: Bogey on October 31, 2009, 11:49:34 AM
Saw that EMI red flag, Que.  How is the sound?

Remastering was done in 2004 and sounds quite good, actually - no complaints! :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on October 31, 2009, 11:38:02 AM

An amazing live performance. Makes me want to move to England and subscribe to the Philharmonia year-round. Also makes me wish somebody would give Sir Charles Mackerras and the orchestra of his choice a recording studio and all the salary they needed to just spend three or four months recording whatever they wanted to play.

Instead of putting up with some second-rate orchestras in TX ... ;D

Coopmv

Now playing another Glossa CD, which arrived some two weeks ago.  I still may have a few on back order ...

listener

Reger and R. Strauss part-songs, then some Koechlin chamber music for oboe d'amore (opp.194 /1&2)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

offbeat

Quote from: papy on October 31, 2009, 01:35:38 AM
Good morning all  :)

2  maiden works so far :

Arvo Part - Nun eile ich zu euch (for Choir - 1989)

off this album : 

and

Arvo Part - Stabat Mater

off this album :

just perfect for a saturday morning  0:)

Im a great Part fan but dont think ive heard the works for choir album - is it up to his usual magic ?

as for the the Stabat Mater what an incredible bleak work this is but such atmosphere

SonicMan46

Tonight, a couple of 'new' acquisitions:

Haydn, Joseph - The Seven Last Words.... w/ Ronald Brautigam on fortepiano; I now own ALL versions of this work (which can be tedious - 7 adagios!); however, this one may become my favorite (not the original Haydn orchestral composition, but just a pleasurable listening experience) -  :)

Myslivecek, Josef (1737-1781) - Violin Concertos, Vol. 2 w/ Ishikawa & Pesek+Dvorak Cham Orch - just becoming more interested in this 'Italian influenced' composer, once friend of the Mozarts, ending his life miserably (see the separate thread that needs more contributions!) - I had purchased and thoroughly loved the first volume of these recordings - hence this new addition & as expected, excellent!

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set.  This may actually be the first HIP version of La Cetra I own ...

Antoine Marchand

This 3-CD box set is slightly weird. It includes a new recording of the Brandenburgs recorded the last year at the MUZA Kawasaki Symphony Hall (Japan), joined with a reissue of the Orchestral Suites from 2003. The traditional cello part is replaced in four of the concertos (concertos 2, 3, 4 & 6) with violoncellos da spalla played by three well-known baroque violinists: Ryo Terakado, François Fernandez & Dmitry Badiarov (who is the builder of these violoncellos da spalla). Additionally, it is added a new second movement to the 3rd Concerto (an arrangement of the 2nd movement of Concerto for Three Harpsichords, BWV 1064).

:)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on October 31, 2009, 03:48:25 PM
Now playing CD1 from this set.  This may actually be the first HIP version of La Cetra I own ...

Stuart - I've owned that one for a while, you may not 'want to look back' after hearing Vivaldi played in that fashion - Dave  :D

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on October 29, 2009, 11:45:16 AM
Poeme Symphonique for 100 Metronomes by Ligeti. Sooner or later I had to.

Cannot possibly be as ghastly as it sounds  8)

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on October 31, 2009, 04:01:03 PM
Stuart - I've owned that one for a while, you may not 'want to look back' after hearing Vivaldi played in that fashion - Dave  :D

While I generally prefer my baroque music to be performed on original instruments, I enjoy performance done on modern instruments once in a while as well ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 31, 2009, 03:50:12 PM
This 3-CD box set is slightly weird. It includes a new recording of the Brandenburgs recorded the last year at the MUZA Kawasaki Symphony Hall (Japan), joined with a reissue of the Orchestral Suites from 2003. The traditional cello part is replaced in four of the concertos (concertos 2, 3, 4 & 6) with violoncellos da spalla played by three well-known baroque violinists: Ryo Terakado, François Fernandez & Dmitry Badiarov (who is the builder of these violoncellos da spalla). Additionally, it is added a new second movement to the 3rd Concerto (an arrangement of the 2nd movement of Concerto for Three Harpsichords, BWV 1064).

I have just listened to three times the first disc and two times the second one. Therefore, my opinions are in construction; but it is eye-catching the sobriety and calm way adopted here. These are not performances intended to surprise with mad tempi or virtuosistic approaches (Il Giardino Armonico, Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, I Barocchisti). Here all seems made with good taste, well blended textures and careful deliberation, which probably will seem a little boring for some people.

:)

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set. 

Brian

Coopmv

Now playing CD7 and the last CD from this set ...

Conor71

Barber: Violin Concerto - Shaham/Previn/LSO

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set ...

Coopmv

Now playing this CD from my Brahms collection ...