What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Harry on November 01, 2009, 12:32:34 AM
Back in 1987, I walked on a Saturday morning into a CD shop and browsed through the new issues that month. Among them was the first recording of the Dvorak Symphonies, conducted by Neeme Jarvi, on Chandos. Excited as aI was about a complete cycle I bought this cd, and went home expecting great things. I was disappointed! First of all in the sonic's of this recording, secondly in the tempi, and thirdly in the coldness of interpretation. I bought them until the fourth Symphony, and then stopped buying the rest.

On a Saturday morning in 2009 I browsed through the new issues on JPC de, and I stumbled upon a Brilliant issue, I did not see when released. A box with all the Symphonies of Dvorak, of which the first four where by Neeme Jarvi, the same recordings as I started with in 1987. Having now a much better Stereo set, and am more knowledgeable about music, and how to listen, I took the plunge, and re acquainted my self with these recordings again.
Starting with the first I noticed immediately how well the brass of this Scottish Orchestra sounded, and how well recorded, that the tempi where spot on, the commitment excellent, and not a drop of coldness around. How impressions can change. The only quibble I have is with the recording in general, a tad muffled, so that the inner detail, starting from the third row, is somewhat undernourished, by the dense scoring of this work. Not that it is dramatic though, but it is a point I took issue with in the olden days. Must admit that it sounds much better, but I would not try this on computer speakers, or some other low life boom boxes. That would be a devastating disaster for your ears. As it is I enjoyed it much more, although Kubelik is still the man for me.

This is the ONLY complete Dvorák Symphonies cycle I have, though I have many versions of the 9th ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Harry on November 01, 2009, 12:32:34 AM
Starting with the first I noticed immediately how well the brass of this Scottish Orchestra sounded, and how well recorded, that the tempi where spot on, the commitment excellent, and not a drop of coldness around. How impressions can change. The only quibble I have is with the recording in general, a tad muffled, so that the inner detail, starting from the third row, is somewhat undernourished, by the dense scoring of this work. Not that it is dramatic though, but it is a point I took issue with in the olden days. Must admit that it sounds much better, but I would not try this on computer speakers, or some other low life boom boxes. That would be a devastating disaster for your ears. As it is I enjoyed it much more, although Kubelik is still the man for me.

Interesting story/reflection, Harry. In my case the set by Kertész /LSO has been during years the standard, precisely because of the marvelous inner detail of these old Decca recordings. I have never tried Kubelik, but it seems a great set too.

:)

Henk

Quote from: Bulldog on October 29, 2009, 02:03:58 PM
Any verdict on this new set?

First impression: very good recording. I will give more comments when I have listened it fully.

Novi

Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Antoine Marchand

Even for people -like me- who generally doesn't enjoy Handel's music: beautiful instruments, crystal clear sound, the AAM in great form and totally compelling performances by Egarr.

Handel - Organ Concertos Op. 7 [HYBRID SACD - DSD]
Academy of Ancient Music
Richard Egarr, organ harsichord & direction
2 CDs [2h07'35]
HM USA, 2009

Organ - Goetze & Gwyn (1998) based on the chamber organs of Richard Bridge and Thomas Parker (recorded with the permission of the Handel House Museum)
CD2, tracks 11-15: Four-stop chamber organ by Robin Jennings (2005)

Harpsichord - CD2, tracks 8-9: Malcolm Greenhalgh, 2005, after 2-manual Franco-Flemish original
CD2, track 10: Joel Katzman, Amsterdam, 1991, after Ruckers, Antwerp, 1638

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set from my Handel collection ...

Papy Oli

Olivier

Bogey

Smetana
String Quartet No. 1
Takács Quartet
Decca
Recorded 1996

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set from my Handel collection.  As our friend George pointed out a while back, we should all enjoy what we already have in our collection more ...     0:)

Orpheus

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 01, 2009, 04:09:05 AM
In my case the set by Kertész /LSO has been during years the standard, precisely because of the marvelous inner detail of these old Decca recordings. I have never tried Kubelik, but it seems a great set too.

Try Rowicki (Philips) too!!!

Orpheus
;)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Orpheus on November 01, 2009, 05:42:13 AM
Try Rowicki (Philips) too!!!

Orpheus
;)

I will make a note of that name, Orpheus:)

Coopmv

Quote from: Bogey on November 01, 2009, 05:22:36 AM
Smetana
String Quartet No. 1
Takács Quartet
Decca
Recorded 1996

Bill,  How is this CD?  Can you provide a link to it?  Thanks.

SonicMan46

Well, for Sunday morning:

Mozart, WA - Last Four Symphonies w/ Mackerras - re-listening to a 'new' recording by Sir Charles - wonderfully dynamic performances -  :D

Mendelssohn, Felix - String Symphonies w/ Ross Pople (3-CD set purchased from BRO a  while back for a 'steal') - currently reading a book on Mendelssohn by R. Larry Todd (check the 'reading thread', if interested), so I've decided to play along - just into the large tome, so Felix has passed 10 y/o - the first six works on this set (disc one) were composed when he was 12 y/o - remarkable!

hildegard

Off to a brisk start this Sunday morning with this wonderful recording while waiting for George (Stephanapoulos, that is!). ;)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: hildegard on November 01, 2009, 06:01:38 AM

Off to a brisk start this Sunday morning with this wonderful recording while waiting for George (Stephanapoulos, that is!). 

I like your Linus avatar, Hildegard. That was a great episode with Linus waiting for the Great Pumkin.  :)

Orpheus

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 01, 2009, 05:50:12 AM
I will make a note of that name, Orpheus.  :)

Oh Thanks!  :D

I'm new here, I discovered this amazing forum few days ago. My english is not too perfect, but my love for classical music is endless...

Dedicated to you:

The Supreme

Passacaglia and Fugue BWV 582 (arr. O.Respighi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBtEOEG30U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZlwjhCSfw

Orpheus
8)

Coopmv

Quote from: Orpheus on November 01, 2009, 06:10:03 AM
Oh Thanks!  :D

I'm new here, I discovered this amazing forum few days ago. My english is not too perfect, but my love for classical music is endless...

Dedicated to you:

The Supreme

Passacaglia and Fugue BWV 982 (arr. O.Respighi)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCBtEOEG30U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRZlwjhCSfw

Orpheus
8)

Bach only drank Beck's, not Heineken and certainly would NEVER go near Budweiser ...    ;D

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 31, 2009, 04:22:17 PM
These (Suzuki) are not performances intended to surprise with mad tempi or virtuosistic approaches (Il Giardino Armonico, Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin, I Barocchisti). Here all seems made with good taste, well blended textures and careful deliberation, which probably will seem a little boring for some people.

Do I read between your lines, that Suzuki´s interpretation is a bit aristocratic in contrast to the more vulgar renderings of Fasolis et alii?

γνῶθι σεαυτόν