(W.A. Albert/Melbourne SO)

CD

Time for the perennial listen:

Conor71

Mahler: Symphony No. 9 In D Major

Que

Q

listener

Szymanowski violin and piano music: Sonata op.,Romance op.23, Notturno e tarantella op.28, Mythes op.30, 3 Paganini Caprices op.40, La Berceuse d'Aitcho Enia op.52.  I've seen a transcription of Roxelane's aria from "King Roger"  not included here
Then Milhaud Concerto for Vibraphone and Marimba (only one soloist listed), Cortège funèbre, and String Sinfonietta, and Michael Radanovics' Introversion - sounds like Lionel Hampton meets Lutoslawski at times, a fugue is sometimes welcome to help focus on just what might possibly be a theme instead of a really big band set.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on December 03, 2009, 06:35:01 AM
I totally agree.  Vartolo is a wonderful Bach performer.  I especially enjoy how he brings out the severity and darkness of the Art of Fugue; as a result, the uplifting Bach passages are a compelling contrast.  Too many performers minimize the work's severity.

"Severity". I did search that word when I wrote my post, but I didn't find it. I thought "seriousness" like is "serious", for instance, a child playing his games... But "severity" is probably more exact here.  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on December 03, 2009, 10:55:56 PM

Q

By coincidence I was also listening to some lute, but your listening looks rather more intriguing.  :) 

schweitzeralan

Quote from: Maciek on April 06, 2007, 03:03:42 AM
Well, since this is the NEW forum I might as well try to post what I'm listening to for a while (I know I won't persevere - that's what happened on the old one :().

Right now I just finished:

Andrzej Dziadek Stabat Mater for soprano and string orchestra (Elzbieta Towarnicka, Polish Radio National Symphony Orchestra/Antoni Wit)

Jan Oleszkowicz Lux aeterna for orchestra (Polish Radio Orchestra/Wojciech Michniewski)

Good day to you all! :D

Maciek

Recently I heard on You Tube two works by Alexander Krein: Poem 1 and Poem 2 for Piano.  Excellent pieces which reflect the subtleties and nuances of his particular style.   Krein wrote many vocal pieces many of which are available on recordings.  His two masterpieces remain, in my judgement, the "After Scriabin" Symphony, and the superb Piano Sonata.

karlhenning

karlhenning

karlhenning

This is getting a lot of play by me these several days:

Sergei Vasilyevich
Variations on a Theme of Corelli, Opus 42
Andrei Nikolsky

Novi

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

Starting my seasonal listening with Une Cantate de Nöel, a piece I came across from last year's GMG Christmas music discussion:

Then dispelling the yuletide mood with some Shostakovich (#15) :P:

Mravinsky's 15 has a relentless forward momentum; it seems a bit more driven than Kondrashin's, which is my favourite.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

springrite

Quote from: Novi on December 04, 2009, 06:33:21 AM
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

Starting my seasonal listening with Une Cantate de Nöel, a piece I came across from last year's GMG Christmas music discussion:

Then dispelling the yuletide mood with some Shostakovich (#15) :P:

Mravinsky's 15 has a relentless forward momentum; it seems a bit more driven than Kondrashin's, which is my favourite.

Well, I would expect Joan of Arc at the Stake would be enough to dispell the yuletide mood...

Now listening: Alwyn Violin Concerto (CHANDOS)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

pi2000

Menuhin In Moscow(1962)
Bach-Adagio from Sonata nr 1
Beethoven-Violin Concerto(Svetlanov)
Brahms 3rd Violin Sonata(Hephzibah Menuhin) :-*

Novi

Quote from: springrite on December 04, 2009, 06:42:04 AM
Well, I would expect Joan of Arc at the Stake would be enough to dispell the yuletide mood...

Oh, I don't know. A nice toasty fire and all that... :P
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Opus106

(Probably) First Listen Friday

Alexander Porfir'yevich <-- That is very much a first for me.
Symphony No. 3 in A minor [Alexander Konstantinovich completion]
CSR Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)|Stephen Gunzenhauser
Regards,
Navneeth

Brahmsian

Shostakovich

String Quartet No. 3 in F major, Op.73
String Quartet No. 5 in B flat major, Op.92

Eder Quartet
Naxos

Lethevich

Holst was incapable of writing music which did not charm and seduce. Total hug-music.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Now playing SACD1 from this set, which just arrived 2 days ago ...

Benji

Quote from: Lethe on December 04, 2009, 09:32:40 AM

Holst was incapable of writing music which did not charm and seduce. Total hug-music.

Hug music. I like it!  ;D