What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 09:26:25 AM

Indeed, this is an excellent set.  I bought the set a few months ago.  I need to find time for a second listen ...

Certainly, it deserves an attentive listening. Several aspects called my attention on this set in the past: the place where it was recorded -Palatine Basilica of Santa Barbara, where this work was probably performed for the first time-; the singers and musicians involved in this project -just to mention some performers of La Capella Reial: Onofri, Pandolfo, Lislevand, Stubbs, Dufstchmid, Lawrence-King, Dickey, Alessandrini-  and, finally, the recording in hands of Michel Bernstein, founder of Astrée, Arcana, etc., who was, IMO, one of the greatest producers of Ancient Music, just comparable to names like Wolf Erichson.  :) 

Que

One of the noisiest transfers but one that gives it all.

Though EMI should let Seth Winner redo Schnabel's complete Beethoven IMO - if the results of the same with the Busch SQ set of late LvB SQ's are anything to go by.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on December 05, 2009, 12:02:17 PM

One of the noisiest transfers but one that gives it all.

Though EMI should let Seth Winner redo Schnabel's complete Beethoven IMO - if the results of the same with the Busch SQ set of late LvB SQ's are anything to go by.

Q

I followed the suggestion from George and bought all the LvB PS's by Schnabel on Naxos Historical and am generally quite happy with the sound ...

Coopmv

Now getting ready to play this DVD, which just arrived an hour ago.  No comments for the moment since I have never heard this CD set by Bernstein ...

offbeat

Came in post yesterday - delicious - tks to Elgarian for putting me onto this  :)

Coopmv

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 12:21:32 PM
Now getting ready to play this DVD, which just arrived an hour ago.  No comments for the moment since I have never heard this CD set by Bernstein ...

The DVD IMO presents quite a stellar performance, from Lenny to the soloists, orchestra and the choir.  I have this work on LP (by Marriner and ASMIF I think) but not on CD, though I should consider some CD versions to be added to my Haydn collection ...

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set - works of Bach, Handel and Vivaldi.  Arthur Grumiaux could make his violin sing and Nathan Milstein was definitely a worthy competitor.  It appears the remastered sound on the Grumiaux's Philips set is a tad better ...

listener

BACH the 6 organ (trio) sonatas BWV 525-530, (Marie-Claire Alain at l'Église Saint-Hilaire de Näfels (Swiss)   
REGER viola sonatas
and I'll set myself up for tomorrow with HINDEMITH's The Long Christmas Dinner, a one-act opera based on a play by Thornton Wilder (Our Town) depicting a family's Christmas dinners in the same house over ninety years in one continuous "take".   A very good work, not as academic-sounding as much of his orchestral music, short - only 47:27 (and more suited to Sunday listening than Sancta Susanna), sung in its German version.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Coopmv

Quote from: listener on December 05, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
BACH the 6 organ (trio) sonatas BWV 525-530, (Marie-Claire Alain at l'Église Saint-Hilaire de Näfels (Swiss)   
REGER viola sonatas
and I'll set myself up for tomorrow with HINDEMITH's The Long Christmas Dinner, a one-act opera based on a play by Thornton Wilder (Our Town) depicting a family's Christmas dinners in the same house over ninety years in one continuous "take".   A very good work, not as academic-sounding as much of his orchestral music, short - only 47:27 (and more suited to Sunday listening than Sancta Susanna), sung in its German version.

I probably have close to 70% of Marie Claire-Alain CD singles on the original Erato label that made up her second Bach Complete Organ Works set.  I am just waiting for her third Bach Complete Organ Works set to be re-issued so I can grab it ...

Conor71

Air

Béla Bartók
String Quartet No. 2 Sz. 67, BB 75 (Op. 17)
Emerson String Quartet

The second movement is downright funky and exotic.  One part kind of reminds me of a dissonant Petrouchka on Hungarian drugs...
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Renfield

Say what you will, I still hear a superb pianist in the making, especially in the 2nd concerto; and the Beethoven 4th he did with Eschenbach [whom I almost mistyped 'Aschenbach']. Not to mention both Mehta here, and Eschenbach there, contribute stylistically appropriate accompaniments, an especially crucial thing the way Lang plays; that is, sonorously and spaciously, overall.

Wanderer

Delightful works (including a charming piano concerto) in very good, vivacious performances.

Wanderer

A fine recital, including an eclectic mix of arias by Borodin, Mussorgsky, Rubinstein, Wagner, Giordano, Verdi, Puccini, Leoncavallo, Thomas, Massenet, Gounod and Bizet (from Carmen, surprisingly enough:-).

The new erato

Quote from: Wanderer on December 06, 2009, 01:12:48 AM

A fine recital, including an eclectic mix of arias by Borodin, Mussorgsky, Rubinstein, Wagner, Giordano, Verdi, Puccini, Leoncavallo, Thomas, Massenet, Gounod and Bizet (from Carmen, surprisingly enough:-).
What, no Beach Boys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_and_Villains

Marc

Hadn't listened to Piazzolla for a long time.
But I'm happy I picked this one this Sunday morning!

Makes me forget my autumn feelings and my petite hangover. Makes me sink into oblivion without regretting it. ;)

The new erato

The 3rd Symphony is so stunningly beautiful  that I never succeed in getting around to the 7th! But I will, rest assured. As well as the rest of his symphonies, my poor credit card just needs to rest for some weeks.

Now I've just started playing this:

The two first movements of quartet no 7 sure are wonderful.

I have a felling there is quite a lot of Nørgård in my future...

Marc

Quote from: Coopmv on December 05, 2009, 10:35:05 AM
Now playing CD1 from this set, which consists of some Handel and Mozart arias by the late Lucia Popp - a set that just arrived from MDT a few days ago.  What a coloratura soprano Lucia Popp was?  Selections from Handel Messiah sung in German and conducted by Neville Marriner with the Stuttgart Radio Symphonie Orchestra, though not the most natural sounding to the ears of someone who has over 20 versions of this work (all in English except one), are simply spellbinding.
Quote from: Elgarian on December 05, 2009, 10:57:13 AM
Yes, yes. That wonderful box knocked me for six too, when I bought one a few months ago. I'm not surprised you're enjoying it.
Sie sind ein Wundertier! (Elizabeth Schwarzkopf on a young Lucia Popp.)

Papy Oli

Morning all

Perfect for a sunday morning :

0:)
Olivier

Christo

No Sunday without Pärt:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948