What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: premont on December 06, 2009, 02:31:31 AM
But this is only for completists. I do not think the Näfels recording adds much to the Schwenkedel recording, and if one also has got the Aa Kerk recording (third integral) one is very well-assorted as to M C Alain / Bach Triosonatas.

Well, I have ALL THREE of them. :P
(Long live the libraries!)
And because of my chauvinism :P :P I (slightly) prefer the Der Aa-kerk recording .... yes, I admit, it's the instrument that does it!

Wanderer

Quote from: erato on December 06, 2009, 01:22:00 AM
What, no Beach Boys?

Had the comment been linkless,  the joke would've surely been lost on me.

karlhenning

Quote from: listener on December 05, 2009, 06:49:04 PM
. . . and I'll set myself up for tomorrow with HINDEMITH's The Long Christmas Dinner, a one-act opera based on a play by Thornton Wilder (Our Town) depicting a family's Christmas dinners in the same house over ninety years in one continuous "take".   A very good work, not as academic-sounding as much of his orchestral music, short - only 47:27 (and more suited to Sunday listening than Sancta Susanna), sung in its German version.

Say more of this afterwards, please.

Que

Before:

Now:

Sonatas nos. 31-33.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Marc on December 06, 2009, 02:05:16 AM
Sie sind ein Wundertier! (Elizabeth Schwarzkopf on a young Lucia Popp.)

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Lucia Popp were both awesome - beautiful and had great voice.  They were the all-time greats.

Coopmv

Now playing this old favorite from my Bach collection.  IMO, Colin Tilney is a harpsichord virtuoso and Micaela Comberti is also an excellent violinist.  The brisk and light tempi of this piece are very appropriate for a Sunday morning ...

The new erato

Quote from: Wanderer on December 06, 2009, 03:28:40 AM

Had the comment been linkless,  the joke would've surely been lost on me.
There's life outside classical you know. After an early Sunday heavy on Per Nørgård, I'm playing similarly magnificent music, The Beatles' Abbey Road remastered.

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on December 06, 2009, 05:30:47 AM
There's life outside classical you know. After an early Sunday heavy on Per Nørgård, I'm playing similarly magnificent music, The Beatles' Abbey Road remastered.

You mean there is life besides getting online in general such as strolling around downtown Bergen, which I did a number of times many moons ago ...   ;D

Coopmv

Now playing this CD from my Bach collection.  Jill Crossland approached these well-recorded works with freshness and sensitivity ...

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 05:33:20 AM
You mean there is life besides getting online in general such as strolling around downtown Bergen, which I did a number of times many moons ago ...   ;D
Yep, just been outside for a couple of hours with my wife and the dog, nice, dry weather !

Novi

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

The soloists are great here - I particularly like Schlick and Scholl - but what impresses most is the instrumental playing and just how vocal and instrumental all balance and come together.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

Wanderer

I may not have liked Seta Tanyel's renditions of Scharwenka's second and third piano concertos, but here she gives terrific performances of the composer's second sonata, E minor sonatine and the delightfully Brahmsian Romanzero op.33.

Quote from: erato on December 06, 2009, 05:30:47 AM
There's life outside classical you know.

Not in this thread, there isn't.

Coopmv

Quote from: Novi on December 06, 2009, 06:05:11 AM
Good afternoon, everyone. :)

The soloists are great here - I particularly like Schlick and Scholl - but what impresses most is the instrumental playing and just how vocal and instrumental all balance and come together.

I have heard of many people raving about Barbara Schlick and really should get some of her recordings ...

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 06:13:02 AM
I have heard of many people raving about Barbara Schlick and really should get some of her recordings ...
The Arcana disc of Conti cantatas is a little gem if it's still available.

offbeat

Quote from: Christo on December 06, 2009, 02:34:37 AM
No Sunday without Pärt:

Hi Christo - love this cd - some of the singing is mind blowing imo- did y ever get to the Part Symphony 4 concert
- Just wondered what it was like  ???

Marc

The Bach Cantata discs with Christophe Coin have all been reissued recently on the Naïve label.

BWV 85, 183, 199, 175: label no. 8911.
BWV 6, 41, 68: label no. 8918.
BWV 180, 49, 115: label no. 8926.

Bulldog

Quote from: Coopmv on December 06, 2009, 04:47:57 AM
Now playing this old favorite from my Bach collection.  IMO, Colin Tilney is a harpsichord virtuoso and Micaela Comberti is also an excellent violinist.  The brisk and light tempi of this piece are very appropriate for a Sunday morning ...

I don't find this set satisfying at all.  Although beautifully played, both artists are deficient in animation and muscularity.  They skim the surface of the music, no more.  Also, Tilney's playing of the cembalo solo from the last sonata is ridiculously slow and thick.

Much better sets come from Blumenstock/Butt on Harmonia Mundi, Huggett/Koopman on Philips, van Dael/van Asperen on Naxos, Kuijken/Leonhardt on DHM and Podger/Pinnock on Channel Classics.  Even the Manze set on Harmonia Mundi leaves the Comberti in the dust.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on December 06, 2009, 10:13:50 AM
Huggett/Koopman on Philips

Thanks, Don, I didn't know about the existence of this recording (absolutely OOP, I suppose).

Another interesting set: Frédérick Haas/Mira Glodeanu on Ambronay, one of the most "sensual" versions of these works that I have heard ever.  "Sensual" is not an adjective used frequently by me as far as Bach is concerned, but here can be a plus. My only complaint is about some decisions -fortunately few- on matter of tempi, for example, BWV 1014-Allegro.

Bulldog

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 06, 2009, 10:46:37 AM
Thanks, Don, I didn't know about the existence of this recording (absolutely OOP, I suppose).

Yes, Huggett/Koopman is currently dead in the water.  Not the best set around but worthy of coming back to life.

The new erato

The Lassus (Lagrime di San Piertro) disc of this set, which maintains a consistent, and extremely high, standard.