What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

"The Tempest" 's
Sibelius  op.109  complete
Beethoven piano sonata 17  op.31/2    + Sonatas 25, 26, 27      Richard Goode
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on January 04, 2010, 08:27:35 PM

I sent MusicWeb 23 reviews in 2009 (pretty good for starting employ mid-June) and have just submitted 2 more tonight (including the Bernstein Mass, a review which took 132 days to write). Now I'm going to start a review of this sensational CD, Jordi Savall's "ISTANBUL," but not for MusicWeb - for my university newspaper. About time I flaunted my Turkishness for all campus to see! Will have to mention that my mom started singing along to a couple of these pieces.  ;D

Brian,   Is this SACD any good?

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on January 05, 2010, 06:15:12 PM
Brian,   Is this SACD any good?

Well in the original post I called it "sensational" - my mom, who's Turkish, says it's one of the best CDs of Turkish music she's ever heard - if your question is targeted at the engineering, well, we don't have SACD equipment in our home, but on the regular stereo it sounded like a revelation, fantastic sound!

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on January 05, 2010, 09:10:19 AM
Nope, originally instrumentals as recorded on the "Istanbul" CD, but in the 20th century a few of them were adapted as the main tunes of Turkish pop songs. One Armenian folk song even became a love song ("Katibim") which rumor has it was written about my two-greats-grandfather, and which has been recorded in a hilariously Americanized version by Eartha Kitt.

That is interesting. Thanks for sharing that. :)

Quote from: Turiddu on January 05, 2010, 03:41:28 PM
Clementi evidently thought so. The sonata was composed 10 years before MF, and at every re-printing of his work Clementi made sure t include a note of warning to the potential buyer, to the effect that the MF theme had been lifted from HIS work - and not vice-versa  :D

Hehe... I didn't know that.
Regards,
Navneeth

George

Quote from: listener on January 05, 2010, 05:47:17 PM
"The Tempest" 's
Sibelius  op.109  complete
Beethoven piano sonata 17  op.31/2    + Sonatas 25, 26, 27      Richard Goode

I was just listening to Gould's Tempest over at youtube. He brings something very unique to Beethoven for sure.

Que

Continues to sound impressive! :)
Forget about Lindberg (BIS/ Brilliant) IMO.

Q

jlaurson

Beginning a Day with Bach

Bach
Organ Works
(16 CDs)
Koopman
Warner

Apparently still not available in the US yet.
UK link.

Talk about 'sloppy listening'. If someone had asked me yesterday, whether Koopman's disc includes any choral music, I would just have stared at them quizzically. But of course half the disc contains sung chorales! That's the genius of Koopman's organ chorales: He couples each with its two Cantata-counterparts performed by his ABC.

Edit: No wonder I was confused. I was listening to disc 2 today... thinking I was listening to disc 1 from today. Disc: no chorales. Disc 2: chorales.

pi2000

CD1 from this set

Piano Concerto 1&2  Jorge Bolet-piano
Charles Dutoit-Conductor, OS Montreal

Harry

Giovanni Battista Fontana.
Sonate a 1,2,3 per Violino, o cornetto, fagotto, chitarone, violoncino, o simili altro instrumento.

Giovanni Paolo Cima/Andrea Cima.
Sei sonate per instrumenti a due, tre e quatro.

Francesco Turini.
6 Sonatas for 2 Violins & Continuo.

Ensemble Sonnerie.

Really beautiful music and performances, with a perfect sound stage front to back. Well worth the modest investment.

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

George

MN Dave

karlhenning

Britten
Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge, Opus 10
Simple Symphony, Opus 4
Lachrymae, reflections on a song of Dowland (viola & string orchestra), Opus 48a
Prelude & Fugue for strings, Opus 29
English String Orchestra
Wm Boughton

A Portrait of Britten

3 CDs

jlaurson

Quote from: Dave of MN on January 06, 2010, 05:08:20 AM
wtc gould

wtf dave

thread duty:

Poulenc Me!

Francis Poulenc
Concertos for Keyboard Instruments
(Organ, Two Pianos, Harpsichord)
in versions for soloist(s), organ & percussion!
HJ Albrecht, Groethuysen Piano Duo et al.
Bach Collegium München

Oehms SACD

(Not yet released outside of Germany?)

Ok... I do think I like the orchestral versions a good deal better. But that's not to say this isn't great fun.

Conor71

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5, "Reformation"

SonicMan46

Kraus, Joseph (1756-1792) & Crusell, Berhard (1775-1838)

Flute Quintet & Flute Quartets, respectively (Crusell works being clarinet transcriptions).

Mikael Helasvuo (flute) & Rantatie Quartet - performers not known to me previously; Helasvuo on a flute copied by Rudolf Tutz in 1999 after one from ca. 1820 -  :)

MN Dave

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all

Chopin - Scherzi / Mazurkas / Etudes
Moravec

:)
Olivier

bhodges

Quote from: bhodges on January 05, 2010, 12:17:08 PM
Beat Furrer: Fama (2004/05) (Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart/Klangforum Wien) - Listening to this tonight on a friend's great sound system.  I love the sole Amazon comment: "A macabre collage of sounds," and one elsewhere, "Are we inside Olivia de Havilland's head in The Snake Pit;D

--Bruce

Well, the quotes above aren't too far afield, describing Furrer's Fama--very exciting, very disturbing music.  The vocalist, Isabelle Menke, does more speaking than singing, and seems very inside the music.  Her whispers and chatterings are blended with music that sometimes has the quietness of Sciarrino, but can erupt in a blaze of glitter at a moment's notice. 

Also heard Furrer's still, Nuun and Presto con fuoco, all compelling as performed by Klangforum Wien.  Will definitely be giving these pieces further listens.

--Bruce