What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Coopmv on March 13, 2010, 05:36:06 AM
I have this competing set ...

I have and enjoy that one too, both have their minor flaws and contrasting plusses.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coopmv

Now playing CD15 from this set ...

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on March 13, 2010, 05:45:49 AM
Antoine, when was it recorded? :)
And by whom, not Chandos I suppose? Melodiya? :)

Q

Incredibly that information is not provided in the booklet of this "Chandos Historical" recording.

The only info available in the booklet is:

Recording venue Moscow
Front cover Photograph of the Borodin Quartet (photographer unknown)
Digital remastering (p) 2000 Chandos Records Ltd.

Additionally, in the discs themselves you can read: "Made in the EU/Public Domain".   

Borodin Quartet: Dubinsky, Alexandrov, Shebalin, Berlinsky.

:)

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived a few weeks ago from MDT ...

Lethevich

Exploring these works is a nice experience - I'd initially pegged them alongside the violin concertos as pleasant but unsubstantial, but they turn out to be both interesting and constantly inventive. The performances are lively and convey a nice sense of "fun" music-making. Podger is as brilliant as ever, for fortepiano a little close and clinky sounding, but not problematically so.

Edit: In the second half of the disc I can see why the style of these two are seen as a little controversial. They are quite stormy at times - never vulgar, but highly spirited to the point of being too OTT to some tastes. To me, it's drawing me closer to the music the more I listen, refusing to allow it to become background listening.

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set ...

Christo

The CD of the year 2008 imho, with fine performances - a very underrated conductor especially being Nicholas Braithwite, conducting Cooke's Third here - of three superb symphonies. (Nice cover too).

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Lethevich

Quote from: Christo on March 13, 2010, 11:03:38 AM
The CD of the year 2008 imho, with fine performances - a very underrated conductor especially being Nicholas Braithwite, conducting Cooke's Third here - of three superb symphonies. (Nice cover too).

If you keep mentioning Cooke I am going to experience financial difficulties from having to pick up the several full-priced CDs that I've had my eye on  :'(

George

Chopin
Mazurkas
Rubinstein
RCA
Stereo

Somewhat detached emotionally, but smooth as butter.

pi2000

Youra Guller-op111
from here: :-*

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 - Symphonies Nos 1 & 6 from this set, which arrived 2 days ago ...

George

More of these:

Chopin
Mazurkas
Rubinstein
RCA
Stereo

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on March 13, 2010, 02:14:19 PM
More of these:

Chopin - Mazurkas - Rubinstein - RCA - Stereo

Good evening George - two of my recent Chopin additions (below) are w/ Primakov - he seems to be receiving some great reviews in this repertoire - have you had a chance to listen to his performances?  Dave  :)

George

Quote from: SonicMan on March 13, 2010, 02:21:07 PM
Good evening George - two of my recent Chopin additions (below) are w/ Primakov - he seems to be receiving some great reviews in this repertoire - have you had a chance to listen to his performances?  Dave  :)

Evening!

I haven't, Dave. The Mazurkas are not really my favorite Chopin, so I don't have that many interpretations of them. Luisada (OOP, on DG) remains my favorite.

How do you like Primakov's Chopin?

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Drasko on March 13, 2010, 01:49:11 PM
Yes, he can use that site (www.kings-music.co.uk) to contact them. I sent email to contact address given by that site, then got reply days later from some completely different guy (to whom they probably forwarded my inquiry) saying they have only few copies left and that price is £10 + postage, then I passed his email address to a friend in England who made the actual purchase for me (because £10 is under some minimal limit for bank transfers from out of Serbia, or something like that). Whew, that seems complicated.

Anyway, Antoine you can use contact address given there and if you don't get response from them I'll give you email address of the actual guy who replied to me.   

Thanks, Drasko. I was looking for that book in different online stores, but it is currently unavailable; therefore, I will use that contact adress.  :)

George

Schubert
D 574
Violin Sonata
Piano - Rachmaninoff
Violin - Fritz Kriesler
Mastered by Ward Marston

Conor71

Bach: Cello Suite No. 5 In C Minor, BWV 1011

A recent purchase this set, very fine so far :).

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on March 13, 2010, 02:23:13 PM

I haven't, Dave. The Mazurkas are not really my favorite Chopin, so I don't have that many interpretations of them. Luisada (OOP, on DG) remains my favorite.

How do you like Primakov's Chopin?

Hi George - the Piano Concertos are excellent, and certainly should please those wanting just one recording of these works - plenty of repeated good comments HERE - will be a keeper for me.

Agree w/ you on the Mazurkas, not my top choice for Chopin solo piano - but again bought on a review - some HERE; again, these are wonderful performances vs. what I own currently; again, another excellent one-disc choice but not complete - I guess the bottom line is that this guy knows how to play Chopin and is worth a listen - Dave  :)