What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renfield

Quote from: jlaurson on June 03, 2010, 02:54:48 PM
Is this seriously the same forum where I got grilled for dishing out Emerson Quartet stereotypes? And then this? Without flaming responses? This is, if anything, IRON FISTED Bruckner, but definitely not chilled or icy.

Well, some of us disagree a little more civilly I guess! ;D

listener

LP: WIKLUND   Piano Concerto 2; 3 Pieces for String Orchestra and Arp; Liten Suite: Spring Song
    Swedish Radio O.   Greta Erikson, piano    Stig Westerberg, cond
    only the piano concerto appears to have made it to CD, and now OOP
RAFF:  Suite in d minor for  piano, op. 91      Adrian Ruiz, piano
CD: RAFF  Symphony 7  "In den Alpen",    transcription of Bach Chaconne BWV 1004, Abends Rhapsodie
     Bamberg Symphony       Hans Stadlmair, con.
John FOULDS:  Le Cabaret Overture,  Pasquinade Symphonique 2, April-England, Hellas Suite, 3 Mantras
     London Philharmonic O.      Barry Wordsworth, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Scarpia

Quote from: jlaurson on June 03, 2010, 02:54:48 PM
Is this seriously the same forum where I got grilled for dishing out Emerson Quartet stereotypes? And then this? Without flaming responses? This is, if anything, IRON FISTED Bruckner, but definitely not chilled or icy.

To me it was cold, clinical, a Bruckner 8 with embalming fluid circulating through the veins.  Maybe the engineering was part of it, but that was my reaction.  I am a person with at least 20 versions of Bruckner 8 on the shelf, and as far as I remember the Boulez is the only Bruckner 8 I have ever sold off, except for the Inbal, which I ended up getting again because I wanted a recording of the original version.

SonicMan46

Small package from Italy today w/ my Tactus order (Purchases Thread number of pages back now) of a half dozen 'on sale' discs; included their catalog of 90+ pages (w/ 6 CDs per page - hmmm!); but up first:

Geminiani, Francesco (1687-1762) - Flute Sonatas & Airs w/ Mario Folena on a flute d'amore, Roberto Loreggian on harpsichord/organ, and Paola Frezzato on fagotto (bassoon) - delightful PI performance, esp. on the dominant flute/harpsichord pieces -  :D

Bogey

Vinyl spin:

Magnificent....from every angle.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Coopmv

Now playing this CD, which just arrived from MDT today ...

kishnevi

Quote from: James on June 03, 2010, 08:24:43 AM

CD1:
Sonata in F for French Horn & Piano
Sonata for Bass Tuba & Piano

CD2:
Sonata for Trumpet & Piano
Sonata in E-flat for Alto Horn & Piano
Sonata for Trombone & Piano

How are they?
I wasn't aware this was part of his discography, but it certainly isn't surprising to see Gould as part of this.  That said, Hindemith is not a favorite composer of mine, and Gould's recording of H.'s piano sonatas is the one Gould recording I don't particularly like.

Thread duty: Dowland, Lute Works Vol. 1,  Paul O'Dette, lute and opharion
Part of the O'Dette set I purchased a few days ago.

kishnevi

Quote from: Renfield on June 03, 2010, 02:38:57 PM
Well, the 'fire' is with regard to the sheer elan of the VPOs phrasing in that recording, which I'd consider rather exciting indeed! Especially the finale really takes off - all the while remaining totally focused. That's very close to Boulez at his best, on record.

Unless of course you define 'fiery' as implying 'uncontrolled'; but I find control and enthusiasm to be independent attributions.

Of course, I agree that (on evidence of his live Mahler 2nd, vs. the studio version) Boulez was more abrasive live, but I'd still call this Bruckner 8th, on its own merit, one of the most exciting I'm aware of, among those not altogether going for the kitchen sink a la Barbirolli.

Cheers. :) papy also helped remind me of Bruckner I've missed, that's been right under my nose all along!

Wasn't this 8th recorded in concert at the St. Florian abbey, or something similar. 
I've heard this one off a library copy, so I can't consult the recording details.  My general impression was not favorable--pompous is the word that came into my head when I heard it: Boulez seemed to be emphasizing all the Brucknerian things I don't like.

val

RICHARD STRAUSS:  Vier letzte Lieder                  / Janowitz, BPO, Karajan

A good sound and the beauty of Gundula Janowitz voice, in a version a bit slow. Beautiful but without the power of emotion of Schwarzkopf/Ackermann.

Que

Renfield

Quote from: kishnevi on June 03, 2010, 07:08:41 PM
Wasn't this 8th recorded in concert at the St. Florian abbey, or something similar. 
I've heard this one off a library copy, so I can't consult the recording details.  My general impression was not favorable--pompous is the word that came into my head when I heard it: Boulez seemed to be emphasizing all the Brucknerian things I don't like.

I know it was recorded in St Florian, and I know he also performed it live in St Florian. Whether the performance is one and the same, I don't remember.

Continuing my 'listen-through' (though not in order): Symphony No. 2

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: kishnevi on June 03, 2010, 07:08:41 PM

And I love this Boulez Bruckner recording because it emphasizes things I like about Bruckner: the moderately slow tempos; the broadening at climactic moments; the clarity of the brass choirs; the "spiritual"acoustic of St. Florian. Yes, my initial, gut reaction when I heard there was a Boulez Bruckner recording was negative. It was hard to imagine a more inappropriate match between music and conductor. I was wrong. Shortly after I bought it I compared it directly to my long-time favorites and was shocked I liked it as much as any of them, and more than most. I even preferred it to the much vaunted Giulini. Opinion hasn't changed. It's still one of my top 3 Bruckner Eighths.

So, in this case I'm with Jens and Renfield. This is one of the great ones IMO.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Conor71

Mozart: Violin Sonata No. 19 In Eb Major, K 302

Second listen through this excellent set, which I got just a couple of days ago 8).

Renfield

Symphony No. 5 (Yesthisismyfavourite5thsymphony! :P)

Such a schizophrenic performance, this one. Like the last time I heard it, I'm decidedly let down by the opening movement: high-velocity, svelte, yet utterly harmless. Compared to Norrington/LCP, this is Eine kleine Nachtmusik.

But I now realise I don't even need to go as far as Norrington for comparison, as the last movement of this very same performance, until which I hadn't persevered the last time, is incredible! Fiery, bedazzling, and motivated.

A shame. :( Even more so when that utterly splendid 4th in the same disc comes up.

Renfield

SonicMan46

Continuing my listening to the small Tactus bundle received yesterday:

Bigaglia, Diogenio (1670-1745ca.) - Flute Sonatas w/ BC (flute, bassoon, viola da gamba, & harpsichord).

Boni, Giuseppe (1650ca.-1732) - Mandolin Sonatas - despite the name on the cover, not a small chamber group but mandolin (Dorina Frati) & harpsichord (Daniele Roi) - relaxing chamber disc!   :D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Opus106

Hey, Guillaume Tell in Shostakovich! :D

FLF: Op. 141; Haitink, RCO. March, '10.
Regards,
Navneeth