What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now:

An old favorite of mine. Giulini lived and breathed this score.

listener

an opera for the evening
DONIZETTI    Linda di Chamonix
Antonietta Stella, Cesare Valletti, Giuseppe Taddei
Teatro di San Carlo di Napoli, Tullio Serafin, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Conor71

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on July 17, 2010, 05:43:01 PM
First listen:

Johann Jakob Froberger - Suites 1649 & 1656
Christophe Rousset, harpsichord
Instrument: Harpsichord Johannes Couchet 1652, Antwerp, extended in 1701 to include a four-foot stop. Collection Musée de la Musique, Paris
Recorded in February 2007 at the Musée de la Musique, Cité de la Musique, Paris
Ambroisie

How is that?  :) He did a Froberger disc for L'Oiseau Lyre in his early days.
I'm amazed by Rousset's productivity - but now I want that WTC! :o :D

Anyway, this morning I'm revisiting this set:

Q

Conor71

Faure: Piano Quintets [Disc 1], Piano Quartets [Disc 2] & Cello Sonatas [Disc 4]

I have listened to all of this set now and have been re-visiting it this weekend to get to know the works better - they are all uniformly excellent and I have enjoyed the chamber music in this set as much as any I have heard from Brahms and Beethoven (although time will tell if I grow to like these works as much!).

I now have a couple more of these Brilliant Box sets of complete chamber music lined up in my wish list as potential future purchases - sets by Schumann & Mendelssohn will be next to purchase in the coming months :).

Brian

Conor, I just love that Faure box - the piano quintets are my favorite, so lyrical and such great interplay between the piano and strings; they are great music to play early in the morning and get you ready for a nice, happy day.  :)

George

Quote from: Brian on July 18, 2010, 06:00:17 AM
Conor, I just love that Faure box - the piano quintets are my favorite, so lyrical and such great interplay between the piano and strings; they are great music to play early in the morning and get you ready for a nice, happy day.  :)

I have never listened to them in the am, but will do so at the next opportunity.

Morning, Brian!  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on July 18, 2010, 06:10:31 AM

Boy, Vladimir's hairdoo must have been an inspiration for later blues & soul artists from the 1950s and beyond (e.g. Otis Rush inserted above) -  ;D  ;)

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - St. John Passion w/ Kuijken & La Petite Bande - from the 5-disc box below (comes as 2 double jewel cases in a box containing separately the booklet on the St. Matthew Passion - so not a space-saver!); reading along in Michael Steinberg's choral book (2005 publication date) -  :)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Que on July 18, 2010, 12:38:11 AM
How is that?  :) He did a Froberger disc for L'Oiseau Lyre in his early days.
I'm amazed by Rousset's productivity - but now I want that WTC! :o :D

Hi, Q. In the past my relationship with Rousset has not been easy, especially when he comes to Bach. However, after listening to this disc three times, I can say that it has seemed to me an exceptional recording. I have loved all of it so far: the interpretation, that wonderful Flemish/French harpsichord, the recorded sound, the artwork and those excellent notes written by Rousset himself.

About the performance: I especially liked  that he doesn't try to push the music forward; the music flows rather naturally in that introspective, melancholic way that I feel totally suitable for Froberger.  :)

listener

Sunday here. so I'll use that as a kind of theme:
SOWERBY   Organ Symphony in G
     David Mulbury,  Aeolian Skinner organ at 2nd Presbyterian Church, Indianapolis
     a somewhat turgid work until the 3rd movement, a 33-variation passacaglia that has more        structural  clarity  and some variety in the solo stops
HAYDN Mass no.12 in Bb "Harmoniemesse"
     Spoorenberg, Watts, Young, Rouleau SATB, St.John's College, Cambridge choir
     Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields,, Marriner
TALLIS:  Mass: Salve Intemerata Virgo       SHEPPARD: Mass: The Western Wind
     St.John's College, Cambridge choir     George Guest, cond.
MARTINU:   Field Mass      JANACEK:  Amarus
      Czech Philharmonic Orch. & Chorus      Mackerras, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

Finally got around to listening to this recording:

Spalicek is a very seldom heard ballet written for voices and orchestra. It's quite good, but I wouldn't call it essential Martinu, but regardless this is an enjoyable listen. I have yet to hear the other works on this 2-CD set, but The Spectre's Bride is next.

not edward

Mentioning the violin/piano concerto made me go back to this recording:

One of my very favourite Martinu works--and I'm not expecting to hear a finer performance any time soon.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

bhodges

Stravinsky: Divertimento
Ravel: Sonata in G
Prokofiev: Violin Sonata No. 2

All with Viktoria Mullova (violin) and Bruno Canino (piano).  One of the first discs I ever bought, and still one of my favorite chamber music recordings.

--Bruce

Sid

Last few days have heard some interesting things on radio 2mbs-fm sydney (www.2mbs.com)

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto No. 2

Bruch - Double Piano Concerto

Beethoven - Missa Solemnis - a performance conducted by the late Sir Charles Mackerras, here in Sydney

Borodin - Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor (choral version)

Handel - Zadok the Priest

Works by French Baroque composers - Muffat, Philidor, Couperin, Battistini - from an Australian ABC Classics cd with sopranos Sara Macliver and Taryn Fiebig & Ensemble Battistini.

& others...

Todd

Dusted off a couple discs I haven't listened to in a while.  I was reminded anew why I enjoy them so much.

The Boulez Mahler 4 is a bit cool, yes, but it is so precise and wonderfully played that I cannot resist.  Throw in Juliane Banse's beyond superb singing that's as precise as the Cleveland Orchestra and supremely beautiful (though it's very womanly and decidedly un child-like), and it remains one of my favorite recordings of the work.  Only the processed sounding sound is a drawback.

The Karajan recording of Honegger's Third is stupendous.  Man, this is great stuff.  I've only heard Serge Baudo's for comparison, and Karajan blows him into the weeds.  A magnificent recording of a great piece.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

The new erato

Quote from: edward on July 18, 2010, 06:55:57 PM
Mentioning the violin/piano concerto made me go back to this recording:

One of my very favourite Martinu works--and I'm not expecting to hear a finer performance any time soon.
And probably the best disc in the series.

Sid

Yes, Todd, I also like those works - the Mahler 4th & Honegger 3rd.

Later on in the evening, I will listen to the following program on radio 2mbs-fm Sydney (www.2mbs.com). I haven't heard any of these works, so it will be an interesting evening.

KEYBOARD CONTRASTS with Phil Vendy

Saint-Saëns, C. Six études for the left hand, op 135 (1912).

Alkan, C-V. Fantasy in A flat for left hand, from Trois grandes études, op 76 (c1838).

Mozart, W. Sonata in F, K497 (1786).

Haydn, J. Sonata no 51 in E flat, Hob.XVI:38 (1779).

Korngold, E. Suite for strings and piano left hand, op 23 (1930).

mc ukrneal

I bought this disc, Songs My Father Taught Me sung by Thomas Allen, in one of Hyperion's 'Buy me Because No One Else Is' sales. I cannot imagine that these are for everyone, but some of the songs are quite beuatiful, and all are well done By Sir Thomas. If you like this sort of thing, I imagine you would eat this up...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!