What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to A Sea Symphony. Haven't listened to this symphony in about a year or so. It's still as gorgeous as I remember it.

greg

Will be listening to the sonatas over and over again next week. Also listened to a few of the late sonatas on youtube (him playing live), and I like 30 and 32 very much.

George

That was my very first set of the 32, Greg:)

listener

BLISS:  Piano Concerto   (1939)
Trevor Barnard, piano       Philharmonia Orch.      Sargent  cond.
Commissioned for the British Week at the New York World's Fair, 1939, sounds like a piece written to be enjoyed by an audience that liked music loud and flashy, but with slow parts that sounded "deep".
MILHAUD:  Aspen-Serenade      Septet for Strings     Suite de Quatrains     Milhaud conducting.
Madeleine Milhaud recites the Quatrains.    Polytonality and rhythms galore in these works, the sound of which will remain in the memory for a shorter time than the descriptions, rather like a players' pre-concert warm-up for an evening of Hindemith.
THALBERG   Opera fantasias  La Traviata, Il Trovatore, Un Ballo in Maschera, Rigoletto, The Siege of Corinth,  and the "Casta diva" from Norma
Francesco Nicolosi, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

greg

Quote from: George on August 11, 2010, 05:46:22 PM
That was my very first set of the 32, Greg:)
Cool!  8)

50,000 sets later...  ;D
do you have a particular favorite performance of this set?

George

Quote from: Greg on August 11, 2010, 05:53:53 PM
Cool!  8)

50,000 sets later...  ;D
do you have a particular favorite performance of this set?

Yes. His Op. 14/2 and Op. 22 are the best I have ever heard.

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 11, 2010, 06:26:45 AM
Kreizberg has a skewed head too: 8:25  ;D

Sarge

My second-favorite recording! How do you like Kreizberg's Fifth, Sarge? For me his finale is Numero Uno  :)

Brian

Quote from: edward on August 11, 2010, 04:22:07 PM

The 6th. Haven't listened to Vanska for a while--have been spending time with Blomstedt and Davis, and had forgotten what a fine performance this is.

Of late I seem to be drawn to symphonies that resist a straightforward description of their "meaning": this one, Mahler's 7th, Brahms' 3rd, Shostakovich's 9th....

What a great category of works... perhaps not coincidentally, the Sibelius 6th and Shostakovich 9th are two which I can frequently "obsess" over.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to A London Symphony right now. It's hard to choose a favorite RVW symphony as they're all so incredibly diverse. The moods vary so much from symphony to symphony. This is an amazing symphony. The performance is, of course, top-notch.

PaulR

Symphony #5

Forgot how great this symphony is....

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ring of Fire on August 11, 2010, 06:47:10 PM

Symphony #5

Forgot how great this symphony is....

I've heard Weinberg's name, but I don't think I've heard any of his symphonies. How do they sound? What are the essentials of his style?

Scarpia

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 11, 2010, 07:32:09 PM

I've heard Weinberg's name, but I don't think I've heard any of his symphonies. How do they sound? What are the essentials of his style?

Somewhere between Prokofiev and Shostakovich.  Name is sometimes spelled Vainberg, or other variants, due to a complicated history in which he lived in Poland and the Soviet Union.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scarpia on August 11, 2010, 07:43:44 PM
Somewhere between Prokofiev and Shostakovich.  Name is sometimes spelled Vainberg, or other variants, due to a complicated history in which he lived in Poland and the Soviet Union.

Hmmm...interesting combination. I'll check him out sometime.

Antoine Marchand

Tonight listening to for third time this beautiful rendition of the Gamba Sonatas:

HERE a favorable review on Gramophone.

During the last months I have learned to appreciate the work of the fortepianist and harpsichordist Laura Alvini (not just in Bach, but also in Mozart's violin sonatas, some Boccherini, etc.). The case is that just tonight I thought to investigate something about her biography, discovering that she died in 2005 after a short illness at the age of 58. I must confess this unexpected news filled me of a strange bitterness.

Dancing Divertimentian

Chopin Ballades 1 & 2. Masterful interpretations by Gavrilov, in warm, pearly sound (unlike the fuzzy sonics given poor Pollini on the same label).

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

The new erato

Quote from: edward on August 11, 2010, 04:22:07 PM

The 6th. Haven't listened to Vanska for a while--have been spending time with Blomstedt and Davis, and had forgotten what a fine performance this is.

3 years ago I saw them do the complete cycle live over 3 evenings. Great experience.

springrite

Schnittke Symphony #6 and #7 (BBC Wales, Otaka)

Not the greatest interpretation or performance (lots of sounds that doesn't pull together as they should), but very good music.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Harry

Sainte Colombe.

Works for Viola da Gamba.

Hille Perl, viola da Gamba.
Lee Santana, Andrew Lawrence King, Lorenz Duftschmidt.
Disc 42. From the Harmonia Mundi Box.

Wonderful music, and well played, a joy for my ear.

pjme

Haydn Pianotrio's : wonderful music - now light and airy, then serious & deep....

P.