What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

All this talk of Elgar - well, I need a fix!  ::)

Wonderful music this (and well performed):

Just thinking of him and a certain image and atmosphere come to mind - nostaligia, innocence, dreaminess, nobility, nature (fall season), wistfullness, and charm to name a few. I salavate just thinking about it.  On the other hand, I only have Boult in the symphonies (#1 and 2) and perhaps that makes a difference? He gives the works a wonderful sense of structure (climaxes nicely done) and yet brings out all sorts of detail in the performance. These are works that benefit from repeated listening for sure. I wish I could sit with some of you and try to show you what I hear. I think you would enjoy it (or at least understand why you didn't). Hmmm, perhaps I will to try to do just that when I finish with the above (if I have the time)...

EDIT: Upon relection and actually starting to listen, I am not sure I will be able to adequately write everything, but wiki seems to have done some of the work. Perhaps this will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._2_(Elgar)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Wanderer

Impressively lucid and powerful performances. The whole series is deservedly praised.  8)

Harry

Jan Dismas Zelenka.

Hipocondrie a 7 Concertanti in A major, & 8 Concertanti in G major, & 8 Concertanti in A minor.

Johann Georg Pisendel.

Concerto in D major & C minor.

Freiburger Barockorchester, Gottfried von der Gotz.
CD 50 from this box.

The last CD from the Harmonia Mundi box, and a worthwhile journey it was, just threw 6 CD'S out, and considering the price of this box, the rest is still a super bargain.
A fine concluding disc.

Wanderer

And now for something different. The Pulcinella transcriptions are pure delight!  8)

Harry

Lully et ses Successeurs a L'Academie Royale de Musique

Andre Cardinal Destouches.
Pascal Colasse.
Jean Baptiste Lully.
Marin Marais.
Marc Antoine Charpentier.

Stephane d'Oustrac, Alto.
Le Concert Spirituel,  Herve Niquet.
CD 4 from this box.

8)

mc ukrneal

Now listening to this (almost at the end):

I sat down with good intentions to write down some aspects to discuss here, but realized near the end of the third movement that I had gotten swept up in the thing. It is a more complicated work than I remembered and can see why some are having difficulty with it. The only thing I wrote down was 'Wagner' before I 'assumed the ecstatic position'. What I was thinking was how much of Wagner's influence there is in the very opening section after the first couple of bars (though one would never doubt this as Elgar). The second and third movements carry me away so thoroughly, but I could see why the first movement would throw people a curve. There is so much going on (yet so richly done). Repetition in listening will help as the themes and musical ideas are repeated - sometimes obviously and sometimes subtley. Sometimes, listening to the movements out of order (particularly going from #4 to #1) or individually can help in learning it.

Here is another description you may find useful (since I failed in my mission - so ecstatically  :D): http://www.elgar.org/3symph2x.htm
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

A well-programmed disc which offers a better set of highlights than the Chandos cycle does on any individual volume. This could never disappoint a fan of music of this period yet retains an individual personality. Bridge in Romantic mode often retained a decidedly modern clarity and drive to his music which sets it apart from, say, Delius - whose style he approaches at times. It's exquisitely crafted, colourful and quite tuneful to boot.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Harry

Joseph Marx.

Eine Fruhlingsmusik.
Idylle.
Feste im Herbst.

Radio-Symphonieorchester Wien, Johannes Wildner.

Fine late Romantic music.

Sergeant Rock

Ravel, Miroirs, Naida Cole

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Good morning, all!

Bill: No, I don't have the von Weber . . . though I've heard the Gran Duo Concertante, certainly.

Sarge: I've brought the Pettersson 16th along with me today; I gave it a[n only semi-attentive] listen last night, after I (practically) finished Suspension Bridge.

Sara: That does look like a no-brainer Bridge disc!  Is there a good cheap Oration around?

Lethevich

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2010, 04:01:22 AM
Sara: That does look like a no-brainer Bridge disc!  Is there a good cheap Oration around?
Sadly nothing budget priced, although the Chandos disc is one of the best in their series in terms of programming - it shows a more moody side to Bridge although risks monotony. The Lyrita disc covers two major bases (coupled with the Phantasm for piano and orchestra) but I have yet to hear it. I enjoy the Virgin disc which logically couples it with Britten's cello symphony, if you do not already have too many duplicates of that piece. It's out of print, but supposedly good condition copies are available on Amazon.com at a reasonable price (under half that of the other discs I mention): Link
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

karlhenning

Quote from: Lethe on August 26, 2010, 04:07:15 AM
Sadly nothing budget priced, although the Chandos disc is one of the best in their series in terms of programming - it shows a more moody side to Bridge although risks monotony. The Lyrita disc covers two major bases (coupled with the Phantasm for piano and orchestra) but I have yet to hear it. I enjoy the Virgin disc which logically couples it with Britten's cello symphony, if you do not already have too many duplicates of that piece. It's out of print, but supposedly good condition copies are available on Amazon.com at a reasonable price (under half that of the other discs I mention): Link

Thank you!  Apart from the Big Britten Box (which I have not listen through completely yet), I don't think I do have any other copy of the Cello Symphony . . . and thanks to the miracle of Amazon third-partiers, I found a Like New copy of that Virgin disc for $6.  Trigger pulled!  And on that Naxos disc, too, which I found new for $6 (including shipping).

But soft!  I am posting this to the wrong discussion . . . .

Thread duty:

Sibelius
Symphony № 2 in D, Opus 43 (1902-03)
Wiener Philharmoniker
Lenny

Leonard Bernstein – Sibelius
Complete recordings on Deutsche Grammophon

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 26, 2010, 04:01:22 AM
Good morning, all!

Morning, Karl. I'll be playing more Pettersson later, probably the Fifth since that CD is already out.

Right now though, I'm continuing to listen to the Naida Cole recital. The Liszt Sonata, even played by this gorgeous pianist  ;)  still eludes me. Forty years trying--I still don't like it. Is this the first time I've ever admitted to this forum that I disliked something?  ;D  The problem isn't with Liszt in general, or with Ms. Cole's performance in particular (Arrau, Richter, Gilels don't do it for me either).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Harry

karlhenning

Harry

A very enjoyable disc, and the music is first rate.

Conor71

More Bach works for Harpsichord :).

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on August 25, 2010, 06:44:15 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't have details. It's one of those mysterious Japanese releases.

Here you can check out the tracklist and samples:

http://www.neowing.co.jp/track_for_cdj.html?KEY=BVCD-38239

Anyway, OOP and just listed on CD Japan.  :-\

Thanks, Antoine. Except maybe for a few of the organ chorales (have not checked in detail) I own all the recordings already. But the Japanese release may of course be a remastering in improved sound and attractive for that reason.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Harry

Serge Prokofiev.

Symphony No 4 in C major, opus 47, Original 1930 version.
Symphony No 4 in C major, opus 112, Revised 1947 version.

Gurzenich Orchester Koln, Dmitrji Kitajenko.

Its the first performance of this box that is in sound spectacular, but in which I feel that the conductor is finally opening his potential. Powerful, very deeply felt, beautifully detailed. All is in place. I love both versions of this Symphony.

ongakublue

Very American - Been a while since I listened to this one. Lovely sound too.
Jamie Byrne

My Blog: http://jamiebonline.blogspot.com/