What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Que

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 30, 2010, 06:41:27 AM

Excellent and sober performances of this intriguing music; Meyerson -who has a natural and fluent "voice"- uses all the necessary rethorical resources to convice us about the excellence of these compositions. Great recorded sound, beautiful instrument and interesting notes, including a long interview to the performer.

Yes, good, isn't it?! :) :)

Q

Opus106

No allergic reactions so far... ;)

Bach - Mass in B minor - Blomstedt, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orch and Chamber Choir, and soloists
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4A4365349B7B3056

I'm re-listening to Quoniam tu solas Sanctus (Gardiner) because I love the cute horn solo so much. :D And, of course, ride the rocket to outer space in Cum Sancto Spiritu after that.
Regards,
Navneeth

Bogey

Due to Conor's recent purchase:

Beethoven
Septet Op. 20
Academy of St.-Martinns-in-the Field Chamber Ensemble
Brilliant Classics
Recorded 1998

Beethoven
Sextet Op. 81b for 2 horns, two violins, viola, and cello
Erben Quartet with Gerhard Meyer and Rudolf Hörold, horns
Brilliant Classics
Recorded 1969
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

greg

Takemitsu- The Dorian Horizon

NICE work!  8)

SonicMan46

For the afternoon, some more recent arrivals:

Hahn, Reynaldo & Vierne, Louis (1874-1947 & 1870-1937, respectively) - Piano Quintets w/ Stephen Coombs & the Chilingirian Quartet - know neither of these composers, but Vierne was one of the greatest organist of his times and held the organ post at Notre Dame for 37 yrs!  Short bio HERE - I own none of his organ compositions of which there are MANY!

Haydn, Joseph - London Symphonies w/ Minkowski & gang; live performaces (which so far is evident only in the surprise in the Surprise) - just getting started on this 4-CD set - and already know that I'll enjoy -  ;D

Conor71

Mozart: Piano Trios #5 & 6, Clarinet Quintet :).

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on October 30, 2010, 10:31:52 AM
Yes, good, isn't it?! :) :)

Q

Q,  I bought the same set a few months ago on your recommendation as well ...     ;)

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which just arrived yesterday from across the pond for a first listen ...

Bogey

More Conor "coat-tailing":

Beethoven

String Quintets Op. 29, 104, 4
Fuge for String Quintet Op. 137
Sechs Tänze Ländler WoO 15

The Zurich String Quntet
Brilliant Classics
Recorded 2004

Prelude & Fuge Hess 29
Prelude & Fuge Hess 30
Prelude & Fuge Hess 31
Minuet for String Quartet Hess 33
Prelude & Fuge Hess 40

Perez Quartet
Brilliant Classics
Recorded 2007
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

The Sinfonietta is my #1 recording for auditioning stereo equipment, so I must have listened to it dozens of times.  Still not sick of it yet.

Bogey

Quote from: Daverz on October 30, 2010, 04:25:30 PM

The Sinfonietta is my #1 recording for auditioning stereo equipment, so I must have listened to it dozens of times.  Still not sick of it yet.

Any other "audiophile" recordings that you rec. in the classical genre, Daverz?

Coopmv

Quote from: Daverz on October 30, 2010, 04:25:30 PM

I tend to favor Wagner overtures for auditioning new audio equipments, amplifier in particular ...    ;)

Bogey

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set for a first listen ...

Brahmsian

Wagner

Parsifal, Act I

Placido Domingo, Parsifal

Christian Thielemann
Chor und Orchester der Wiener Staatsoper
DG

Beautiful!

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on October 30, 2010, 04:27:02 PM
Any other "audiophile" recordings that you rec. in the classical genre, Daverz?

Lyrita is usually excellent.  Get Boult's Bax and Holst discs.

Also EMI, RCA, and Decca recordings from the "Golden Age of Stereo" (late 50s - 60s).   There was an EMI series called Artist Profile that was all Golden Age stuff all excellently transferred.

The problem with this Moeran disc as a test disc s that it always sounds pretty fabulous no matter what.  I use it mainly for hearing what's going on in the midbass.

For more extensive testing, I actually like to use recordings that are kind of marginal in some way, just to see what the equipment does or does not for them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: MN Dave on October 30, 2010, 05:08:44 AM
Barber: v cto op. 14 - Oliveira/St. Louis/Slatkin

In my opinion, this is one of the worst performances of the Barber Violin Concerto I've heard. Slatkin really has no feel for the music, while Oliveira can barely make it through the last movement. He clearly isn't a virtuoso like Hahn or Bell who, in my assessment, make this concerto their own from start to finish. I have heard many other performances of the Barber too that I found not quite right: Stern (who I can't stand anyway), Shaham (he nailed the Korngold, but fudged the Barber and Previn didn't help), and Perlman (a violinist I used to admire, but now going back to a few of his that I own I am disappointed with his sloppy way of playing).

Music is subjective of course, but we all have our favorite performances. At least you're listening to this beautiful work! :D

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 30, 2010, 06:34:08 PM
In my opinion, this is one of the worst performances of the Barber Violin Concerto I've heard. Slatkin really has no feel for the music, while Oliveira can barely make it through the last movement. He clearly isn't a virtuoso like Hahn or Bell who, in my assessment, make this concerto their own from start to finish. I have heard many other performances of the Barber too that I found not quite right: Stern (who I can't stand anyway), Shaham (he nailed the Korngold, but fudged the Barber and Previn didn't help), and Perlman (a violinist I used to admire, but now going back to a few of his that I own I am disappointed with his sloppy way of playing).

Music is subjective of course, but we all have our favorite performances. At least you're listening to this beautiful work! :D

You and I share the dislike for Stern, who I have never liked.  Grumiaux and Szeryng would run rings around him.  I also do not have a single recording by Stern ...

Mirror Image

Quote from: Coopmv on October 30, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
You and I share the dislike for Stern, who I have never liked.  Grumiaux and Szeryng would run rings around him.  I also do not have a single recording by Stern ...

My main problem with Stern is with his overall technique. He vibratos EVERYTHING! Vibrato should be used much more sparingly. He's just too erratic for my tastes. Yes, Grumiaux, Szyeryng, and not to mention, Oistrakh, Heifetz could all run circles around him.

I own only one recording with Stern and it's with him and Bernstein performing the Barber. I listened to Stern's performance one time and it made me sick to my stomach. I couldn't take anymore of his nonsense.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 30, 2010, 06:49:21 PM

My main problem with Stern is with his overall technique. He vibratos EVERYTHING! Vibrato should be used much more sparingly. He's just too erratic for my tastes. Yes, Grumiaux, Szyeryng, and not to mention, Oistrakh, Heifetz could all run circles around him.

I also would prefer the younger generation violinists such as Andrew Manze and Gidon Kremer over Stern anytime ...