What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Sibelius: Symphony No 5. Berlin Symphony Orchestra; Kurt Sanderling

MN Dave

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2010, 03:11:38 PM
Sibelius: Symphony No 5. Berlin Symphony Orchestra; Kurt Sanderling

I've had good luck with Sanderling. How about you?

Antoine Marchand

First listen of this 2 CD-set and I have confirmed my first impression (gotten via NML).

I like the style of Jeannette Sorrell and her orchestra, which I would define like detailed, fresh, natural-paced and marked by a sort of comfortability with this music... It's a pleasure to listen to these concertos played in this relaxed way after so many crazy Italians doing weird things.  ;D

Brahmsian

First listen to these works (other than the Fur Elise)

Beethoven

Bagatelles

Brendel
Philips

Brian

Quote from: Sackbut on December 16, 2010, 03:13:40 PM
I've had good luck with Sanderling. How about you?

His Shostakovich 10 is one of the best around, his Sibelius 6 is great, and I just heard his Bruckner 7 the other day (live on Hanssler Classics) and it swept me off my feet. So far (first two movements) this is a really good Sibelius Fifth, though the very end of the first movement wasn't as gosh-darn exciting as some other folks.

I'd say I've had good luck with Sanderling, too, then.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2010, 03:35:05 PM
His Shostakovich 10 is one of the best around, his Sibelius 6 is great, and I just heard his Bruckner 7 the other day (live on Hanssler Classics) and it swept me off my feet. So far (first two movements) this is a really good Sibelius Fifth, though the very end of the first movement wasn't as gosh-darn exciting as some other folks.

It's not going to go in my top rank of Sibelius Fifths because, a couple minutes into the finale halfway through the great "swan hymn", the French horns actually (I can't believe this) get drowned out. The sound balances are kind of weird throughout, actually - lots and lots of timpani at the end. Blame the engineers!!  >:(

Todd

It being big Lou's birthday, I've already listened to the three above recordings yesterday and today, and I will soon follow with samplings from the below recordings.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Brahmsian

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 16, 2010, 03:32:36 PM
First listen to these works (other than the Fur Elise)

Beethoven

Bagatelles

Brendel
Philips

Man.......this is really, really kick ass!!  Don't know why I went so long without hearing this great little miniatures.  I thought I was listening to Schubert!

SonicMan46

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on December 16, 2010, 03:20:06 PM

First listen of this 2 CD-set and I have confirmed my first impression (gotten via NML).

I like the style of Jeannette Sorrell and her orchestra, which I would define like detailed, fresh, natural-paced and marked by a sort of comfortability with this music... It's a pleasure to listen to these concertos played in this relaxed way after so many crazy Italians doing weird things.  ;D

Antoine - glad to hear your positive comments on this recording - I made an order (on my way now across the pond) based on an erroneous review in the American Record Guide - the reviewer mislead me into believing that this was a 'new' redone version of these works rather than a re-release - this was discussed in another thread (probably purchases) - I now look forward to hearing these recordings which should arrive soon - Dave  :)

not edward

Janacek's On the Overgrown Path, the DG Firkusny recording. Deceptively simple pieces that have wormed their way into my head and, in their intimate, confessional manner, won't let go.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

listener

lp Carl RUGGLES Sun-Treader
Robert HELPS Symphony No.1
Columbia Symphony O.            Zoltan Rozsnyai, cond.
Sun-Treader does require several hearings, and even then with a score I can't find the 39-measure double triple canon in cancrizans, and the three oboes plus two English horns add to the snarliness of the piece.  Not for sissies.  There is/was a Michael Tilson Thomas cd with an Ives work that's pretty good, the expanded dynamic range of the cd is an advantage, the Complete Ruggles lp box has never been re-issued.
LISZT   Dante Symphony
Budapest Phil.Orch.,  Budapest Radio Choir,    Margit László, sop
György Lehel, cond.
It's several decades since I last heard this, and I'd forgotten there was a choir.  Violins split left - right.  Notes by Irving Kolodin.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2010, 02:05:35 PM
Once that Raff gets to a good price, I'll snap it up. 53 euros on Amazon.de, but I have to think it will be cheaper somewhere, sometime.
The cycle is on Naxos Music Library so hypothetically I'm not missing anything.
Do post if you see a good price. The best I've seen is with a coupon at Barnes and Noble and Borders. One can get it down to roughly 50-53 Euros with a bit of luck. But since I have 2-3 discs of his symphonies, I  have been holding off.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

Brian often does this to me. I couldn't remember anything about the 11th before now - neither a tune nor an overall "feel" from the work, but now I am in love with the slumbering power of the second movement, organically building into the weird festive maestoso movement, which has all the jubilation of a Romantic symphony, but manifesting in such an obtuse and unique tonal  aesthetic. But after I finish, once again a concept will elude me, given how ambiguous most of his music is, and I will forget about it again until the next time I listen -_-
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Opus106

First Listen Friday

Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/v/WzVBnLhIf6c

Dmitri Shostakovich
Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 102 [the video above contains the entire first movement]
Kirill Gerstein|NHK Symphony Orchestra|Charles Dutoit
Regards,
Navneeth

The new erato

Quote from: Brian on December 16, 2010, 03:35:05 PM

His Brahms cycle on RCA is very fine.

Opus106

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2010, 11:18:03 PM
Dmitri Shostakovich
Piano Concerto No. 2, Op. 102 [the video above contains the entire first movement]
Kirill Gerstein|NHK Symphony Orchestra|Charles Dutoit

Loved the pianistic firework in the last movement. Please recommend you favourite version(s) of this work. I'm already looking at various boxed sets of the concerti, but let me know if you like any other recordings.
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2010, 11:33:35 PM
Loved the pianistic firework in the last movement. Please recommend you favourite version(s) of this work. I'm already looking at various boxed sets of the concerti, but let me know if you like any other recordings.

I've got a recording of that concerto conducted by Shostakovich's son Maxim and performed by soloist Dmitry Jr, Shostakovich's grandson. Not saying it's the best, but... family ties! I also JUST got this CD in the post yesterday, and as you'll notice, it's headlined by a great conductor and a great price. :)

The Second Piano Concerto is my favorite Shostakovich concerto, but that might make me a wimp given how "light" people say it is.

Lethevich

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Beethoven Baptism Day Marathon has begun!

BEETHOVEN | Sonata No 25 Op 79
Andrea Lucchesini, piano

Harry

Another fine recording from Hyperion's Helios label, that surprised me by the quality of performance and recording. I am really impressed by Robert Fuchs contribution with his E flat major Concerto. Earlier I bought some chamber music from him, which had me captured with my eyes wide open. A fine composer, unjustly forgotten, as so many.