What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Earlier this morning:

Now setting my teeth into this box set for the first time - no booklet! :'(

Disc 1 - Overture in D Major op. 43, cello concertos 3 & 11, Octet, Symphony in C minor op. 41.

My first impression is that Boccherini sounds rather Viennese & Haydnesque in these performances by Tafelmusik and Anner Bijlsma. Which is not inappropriate considering Boccherini's musical orientation! But I do wonder if the Spanish & Italian influences are not too much underplayed and how it would compare to Spanish (Savall) or Italian performers??  :) I have too little listening experience in Boccherini to be able to tell.

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Harry on December 17, 2010, 02:26:53 AM
I am really impressed by Robert Fuchs contribution with his E flat major Concerto. Earlier I bought some chamber music from him, which had me captured with my eyes wide open. A fine composer, unjustly forgotten, as so many.
Robert Fuchs have impressed me too, I recently bought two of his Piano Trios with the Gould trio and they were very fine. Quite clearly a composer I will search out more actively in the future.

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 17, 2010, 02:32:49 AM
Now setting my teeth into this box set for the first time - no booklet! :'(

Disc 1 - Overture in D Major op. 43, cello concertos 3 & 11, Octet, Symphony in C minor op. 41.

My first impression is that Boccherini sounds rather Viennese & Haydnesque in these performances by Tafelmusik and Anner Bijlsma. Which is not inappropriate considering Boccherini's musical orientation! But I do wonder if the Spanish & Italian influences are not too much underplayed and how it would compare to Spanish (Savall) or Italian performers??  :) I have too little listening experience in Boccherini to be able to tell.

Q

Looking forward to my copy, JPC's delivery has seriously faltered these last few weeks

Antoine Marchand

Sorrell and her band again:

CD2 this time: lovely, really lovely Brandenburg Concerto No. 6 and delightful Harpsichord Concerto BWV 1056... Also very interesting two versions of the Harpsichord Concerto in D minor, the first one for harpsichord (with Sorrell in charge) and the second a reconstruction of the supposedly lost original for violin with Elizabeth Wallfisch. BTW, it exists another reconstruction of the same concerto with Wallfisch directing the OAE.

I love the tempi chosen by Sorrel, especially some changes of pace used here and there (f.i., first movement of BWV1051).

:)

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2010, 12:55:34 AM
I've got a recording of that concerto conducted by Shostakovich's son Maxim and performed by soloist Dmitry Jr, Shostakovich's grandson. Not saying it's the best, but... family ties! I also JUST got this CD in the post yesterday, and as you'll notice, it's headlined by a great conductor and a great price. :)

The Second Piano Concerto is my favorite Shostakovich concerto, but that might make me a wimp given how "light" people say it is.

Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I read about the lightness factor after reading about the work and some CD reviews, however it's still a great piece of music. But I thought the second movement was a joke. It was Shostakovich channelling Rachmaninoff or perhaps someone from an even earlier time having the best time of this life.  ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Quote from: Opus106 on December 17, 2010, 03:44:50 AM
Thanks, Brian. Yeah, I read about the lightness factor after reading about the work and some CD reviews, however it's still a great piece of music. But I thought the second movement was a joke. It was Shostakovich channelling Rachmaninoff or perhaps someone from an even earlier time having the best time of this life.  ;D
:( I love that second movement!
:'(

I would listen to the Jacoby/Mackerras recording to see how it is, but today is my All Beethoven All the Time Super-Special Baptism Day Marathon. Maybe I should have started with the Name Day overture??

Opus106

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2010, 03:58:02 AM
:( I love that second movement!
:'(

I didn't say it was bad, per se. It's like this: I'm listening to this wonderful melodic material, and at the back of my mind someone is saying, "Shostakovich? Really?". By the way, I really love the "Waltz No. 2." :)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

There's nothing 'wimpy' about liking the piano concerti!  I am a little puzzled that one could prefer them to the violin or cello concerti, but call that a nuance : )

Philoctetes

Jarrett playing Mozart's Piano Concertos
Brahem's Le Pas Du Chat Noir
Pat Metheny Group's American Garage
Garbarek's Mnemosyne
Part's Te Deum
Upshaw's Knoxville: Summer of 1915

Opus106

Well, here's a CD (a pair of them, actually) which I have never played since purchase almost a year ago.

Antonín Dvořák

Requiem, Op. 89

Teresa Żylis-Gara | Stefania Toczyska | Peter Dvorský | Leonard Mroz
Choeur de Radio France|Nouvel Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France
Armin Jordan
Regards,
Navneeth

AndyD.

http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Harry

From this set, CD I. The opus 7 works For Violino e Viola.

Cato

I am listening to one of the greatest things I have heard in some years:

BOULEZ conducting the Symphony #3 of SZYMANOWSKI on an incredibly lucid DGG recording!

:o   At times I thought I was listening to Alexander Nemtin's assemblage of Scriabin's "Mysterium/Universe: Prefatory Action

Does anybody know if Boulez plans on recording all the Szymanowski symphonies?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

bhodges

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2010, 11:33:35 PM
Loved the pianistic firework in the last movement. Please recommend you favourite version(s) of this work. I'm already looking at various boxed sets of the concerti, but let me know if you like any other recordings.

Although I have a few more recordings of the First Piano Concerto (e.g., Chailly's Shostakovich: The Jazz Album, which is great), the one below with Hamelin is excellent.  It also includes the Shchedrin Piano Concerto No. 2, which at the time I'd never heard before, and it almost trumped the two Shostakovich concertos--a jazz-influenced piece from 1966, and highly entertaining.

--Bruce

Opus106

Quote from: bhodges on December 17, 2010, 07:03:58 AM
Although I have a few more recordings of the First Piano Concerto (e.g., Chailly's Shostakovich: The Jazz Album, which is great), the one below with Hamelin is excellent.  It also includes the Shchedrin Piano Concerto No. 2, which at the time I'd never heard before, and it almost trumped the two Shostakovich concertos--a jazz-influenced piece from 1966, and highly entertaining.

--Bruce

Thank you, Bruce. I notice that this is now also available as one of those Hyperion's anniversary discs (better price than usual). :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

BEETHOVEN | Symphony No 4
Academy of Ancient Music
Christopher Hogwood

My favorite Beethoven Fourth, even though I have no idea why Hogwood includes a fortepiano in the ensemble during the slow movement  :o :o