What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Opus106 on December 16, 2010, 11:33:35 PM
Loved the pianistic firework in the last movement. Please recommend you favourite version(s) of this work. I'm already looking at various boxed sets of the concerti, but let me know if you like any other recordings.

This was one of my first Shostakovich acquisitions, and remains a favorite, if only for the VC1 as played by Mullova, which remains my standard for that work.  If you don't get the box, then please get that specific recording in another form!

Thread duty:  Brahms, Handel Variations, Murray Perahia

Mirror Image

Quote from: kishnevi on December 17, 2010, 06:19:11 PM
This was one of my first Shostakovich acquisitions, and remains a favorite, if only for the VC1 as played by Mullova, which remains my standard for that work.  If you don't get the box, then please get that specific recording in another form!

That's a very good set. I haven't listened to it in a few years. Mullova is amazing in the Violin Concerto No. 1.

Mirror Image

Opus106

Duly noted; I like the first violin concerto. Thanks. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

Music for Queen Elizabeth (disc 7)

The experience deepens with this new round of listening - which is a good sign.  :) And the singing is more than excellent in an idiomatic style.

Good morning! :)

Q

val

BEETHOVEN:  Piano Sonata n. 15 opus 28

/ Wilhelm Kempff  (1951)

A version of an extraordinary beauty and poetry. Perhaps the best interpretation gave by Kempff in Beethoven.

Friedrich Gulda (AMADEO) in a perspective very similar to Kempff is my second choice.

Bruno-Leonardo Gelber has beautiful moments but his version is too slow. The first movement and the Musette in the last movement require a bit more of tension in my opinion.

Harry

In the big Harmonia Mundi Baroque box Volume II of Barroco Espanol was to be found, and I enjoyed it very much, so I ordered Volume I, separately. It came this morning together with these Super bargain boxes.

The first Volume of Barroco Espanol is as good as the second volume, well sung and played, this group belongs firmly to my favorites.  The booklet is okay, just a pity there are no texts inside. And as Que said no booklet in the Bijlsma box, which is a bloody shame. If it can be done by the even cheaper Virgin box, it should be possible with Sony, right?

New arrivals.

Opus106

I think I'll have to put that "Orchestral Music" box from Decca on the wishlist. It includes the VC that you recommended and the Jazz Album that Bruce did. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Harry

La quattro Staggioni.
Concerto No 5 & 7 from La Tempesta di Mare.
CD I.

Ehhh, fabulous, amazing. This recording has my adrenaline going at a fast rate. This must be close to the best Seasons I ever heard.

Harry

CD I from this fine box, the second disc I had already in the big box from Harmonia Mundi.
Still this one contains the following works:

Overture in D major, opus 43.
Concerto for Cello & Orchestra, No. 3 in D major.
Octet in G major, opus 38.
Concerto for Cello & Orchestra, No. 11 in C major.
Symphony in C minor, opus 41.

Anner Bijlsma, Cello
Tafelmusik, Jeanne Lamon.
Recorded in 1992, in the Netherlands.b]

Beautiful, fine playing, and good recording.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on December 17, 2010, 02:35:27 PM
I've completed my one-day Beethoven cycle!

No 1. Saarbrucken Radio SO; Stanislaw Skrowaczewski
No 2. Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen; Paavo Jarvi
No 3. Swedish Chamber Orchestra; Thomas Dausgaard   
No 4. Academy of Ancient Music; Christopher Hogwood
No 5. Anima Eterna; Jos van Immerseel
No 6. Staatskapelle Berlin; Daniel Barenboim
No 7. Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra; Carlos Kleiber
No 8. Scottish Chamber Orchestra; Charles Mackerras
No 9. Cleveland Orchestra; Christoph von Dohnanyi

No weak links - just bliss!  8)

I admire your discipline. Whenever I begin that kind of one composer marathon, I bog down about halfway through  :D  I approve of half your choices. The other half (1, 2, 3, 4, 8 ) I haven't heard....yet.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Antoine Marchand

Inspired by Jeannette Sorrell and her Cleveland Baroque Orchestra, I have decided to listen to the discs number 3 and 4 of this 4-CD set:

Now playing CD4 which includes "reconstructions" of three Bach concertos supposedly lost: Violin Concerto in G minor reconstructed from the Harpsichord Concerto in F minor BWV 1056; Concerto for Violin & Oboe in C minor reconstructed from the Concerto in C minor for two Harpsichords BWV 1060 and Violin Concerto in C minor reconstructed from the Harpsichord Concerto in D minor BWV 1052.

From these reconstructions is highly evident to me that BWV 1056 & 1052 were originally violin concertos; IM(rarely)HO (thanks Jens!  ;)) even more the first than the second one (to my surprise when I listened to this disc for the first time). They sound simply perfect played on violin.

On the other hand, with BWV 1060 -for violin and oboe, currently the usual "reconstruction"- I have some doubts because I feel more suitable the version for two violins which flows more naturally.

Anyway, one of the greatest discs of the great Elizabeth Wallfisch.  :)   

Lethevich

No.2

More richly inventive and appealing music from this composer nobody wants to listen to :(
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Sergeant Rock

Bach/Mahler Suite (an arrangement of movements from BWV1067  and 1068)

Sarge

SonicMan46

Well, off for the weekend and into next week, so should have plenty of listening time -   8)

Mozart, WA - Piano Concertos w/ Barenboim & the Berliners - now on disc #4 - for those interested and wanting more discussion, check out the 'Mozart Piano Concerto' thread which has had a lot of recent activity!  :D

Villa-Lobos, Heitor - Choros & BBs - another new box arrival highly recommended by Mirror Image - will spin the first disc shortly and expect to enjoy -  :)

Sergeant Rock

Handel Der Messias, Richter

Sarge

The new erato

My wallet thanks you profoundly.  ::)

Lethevich

The set of 20 violin duets are nice stuff, they would make a good complement to Bartók's set.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

The new erato

Quote from: Lethe on December 18, 2010, 07:28:07 AM

The set of 20 violin duets are nice stuff, they would make a good complement to Bartók's set.
I've met him several times at local concerts.

Now:

A fine cycle of works.