What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Symphony No. 13 right now after reading someone enjoying it here on GMG. Right now, it's not bad at all. Quite lyrical actually.

Sergeant Rock

Haydn Piano Concerto #11 D major, Ax

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Beethoven

String Quintet in C major, Op.29

Amadeus Quartet
Cecil Aronowitz, viola II
DG

Coopmv

jlaurson

Louis Couperin (1626 – 1661)
Six Suites
Christophe Rousset
ApArTe 006 (2CDs)

This one is terrific... (even) more immediately likable than the Bach "Fantasy" disc...

Lethevich

Quote from: erato on December 30, 2010, 02:51:55 AM
You've got crickets in the bedroom? Yikes!
Indeed - life can be tough in the bayou ;D
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethe on December 30, 2010, 12:44:06 PM

Indeed - life can be tough in the bayou ;D

I lived next to a bayou for a year. It had been covered over in concrete, though, so it was more like a 100-foot-wide drainage ditch that you wouldn't want to fall into. No crickets, but it bred a lot of mosquitos...

EDIT: Found a picture!

bhodges

Earlier, listening to a live recording by Ekmeles, an excellent vocal group here specializing in contemporary or recent music:

Scelsi: Litanie
Kagel: Der Turm zu Babel (Excerpts) US Premiere
Saariaho: From the Grammar of Dreams
Aaron Cassidy: I, purples, spat blood, laugh of beautiful lips (New York Premiere)

Now up:

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 (Hai-Kyung Suh / St. Petersburg Academic SO / Dmitriev) - Supposedly Suh is the first woman to record all four of the concertos, plus the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.  In any case, she's quite good.  Dmitriev and the orchestra are very atmospheric, recorded in the group's Grand Hall just last July.

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: bhodges on December 30, 2010, 01:12:52 PM
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2 (Hai-Kyung Suh / St. Petersburg Academic SO / Dmitriev) - Supposedly Suh is the first woman to record all five of the concertos, plus the Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

I don't know of anyone else who's recorded five Rachmaninov concertos  ??? ???

bhodges

My bad: typing too fast!  Fixed...

:-[

--Bruce

Brian

Quote from: bhodges on December 30, 2010, 01:16:47 PM
My bad: typing too fast!  Fixed...

:-[

--Bruce

I spent a couple minutes on Google, and looking up the set in question, thinking maybe there had been a shock discovery, or somebody had found a really radical different draft, or something. Then, thought "waaaiit... maybe it was a typo."
;D

bhodges

Yep, Mr. Typo strikes again (hopefully not too often). 

Last night, BTW, watched the (taped) opening night of the LA Philharmonic, with Gustavo Dudamel and Juan Diego Flórez.  I thought it was excellent, although at least one friend just "couldn't get into the Rossini."  ;D  A little goes a long way for me, too, but I find the overtures quite sparkling, and having someone like Flórez sing the arias makes them more than bearable.  He did two encores: "Ah! mes amis" from Donizetti's La Fille du Regiment (which has probably become one of Flórez's signature arias) and "La donna è mobile" from Verdi's Rigoletto--both terrific.

Rossini: Overture to La gazza ladra          
Rossini: "Principe più non se" from La Cenerentola         
Rossini: Overture to Semiramide        
Rossini: "La speranza più soave" from Semiramide         
Granda (arr. Flórez): La flor de la canela         
Lara (arr. Guinovart): Granada         
Moncayo: Huapango         
Grever (arr. Guinovart): Júrame         
Gutiérrez (arr. Pena): Alma llanera         
Márquez: Danzón No. 2

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived a few weeks ago from across the pond for a first listen ...

Sid

Over the holidays, have mainly been listening to the EMI 2 disc set of Zemlinsky's complete choral works and orchestral songs. There is a huge stylistic variety in these works, stretching from the earlier Brahmsian Frühlingsbegräbnis (a cantata actually written in memory of that composer), to the Maeterlinck songs for mezzo soprano & orchestra (the orchestration here is not far from Debussy), to the 13th Psalm (which has quite a lot of dissonance). My favourite work of the set is the Symphonic Songs for baritone & orchestra. The text of this work is taken from Afro-American poets. It has a jazzy feel, and reflects the heady days of the 1920's. Zemlinsky tackled what must have been quite unfamiliar territory with his usual flexibility, and the slow songs have a bluesy feel that would not be out of place in the music of Gershwin or Ives. I am glad I picked up this set, because it looks as if now it's out of print. Zemlinsky was one of my biggest "discoveries" of the year, and a very welcome one at that!...

PaulR

Prokofiev 1st violin concerto.
Not as immediately grabbing as the 2nd concerto, but still am enjoying it

Brian

Quote from: Coopmv on December 30, 2010, 03:18:04 PM
Now playing CD1 from this set, which arrived a few weeks ago from across the pond for a first listen ...

What'd you think, Stuart? I am sensing, deep within me, the unexpected beginnings of a baroque music exploration period.

Coopmv

Quote from: Brian on December 30, 2010, 03:39:02 PM
What'd you think, Stuart? I am sensing, deep within me, the unexpected beginnings of a baroque music exploration period.

This is a 2010 recording.  Freiburger Barockorchester is not exactly unknown to me since I have a few other CD's and a Brandenburg Concertos DVD by them.  The performance was polished with tempi that were just right (I thought their BC were a tad fast).  There is an excellent balance between youthful exuberance and virtuosity. 

Monty Cello

Late Night Prom repeat - Stravinsky and Bach (London Sinfonietta, etc., David Atherton). Quite the most satisfying performance of Threni I have yet to hear, and this time I managed to catch it in Radio 3's new 'HD sound" (320kbps aac-lc). Really decent dynamic range and timbral quality. Very close to Red Book. Not bad for around half the FLAC data rate.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on December 30, 2010, 03:18:04 PM

Hi Stuart - please let us know what you think of this HM set?  I have the Brilliant 4-CD box inserted above and enjoy - Dave  :D