What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Opus kindly pointed out to me, that this set of Sibelius Symphonies had a good price on amazon, a bit over a tenner. (pounds) So post haste I ordered it. ;D
Today I played the First Symphony, and I like it enormously! The Skeleton of Sibelius but with some more flesh on the bones, as say with the other sets I have, Jarvi, Vanska and many others. Romantic, yet detailed and a tight adherence to the different dynamics in the orchestra. So deep is the sound stage, that you hear it coming back to front and vice versa! Nothing will be missed, not the slightest of diminuendo's, and in full blast you keep separating all the details.  The Brass sounds simply gorgeous. Tempi are fine, apart from the last measures where Ashkenazy pulls back too much, no doubt to make a statement of some sort. Well no matter, it is a excellent start, and I hope the rest lives up to the promise of the first.

I seem to be the only admirer of the composer Weingartner on GMG, for I saw no mention of him by others! Maybe I missed it who knows?
I bought all CPO releases, and many of them are purchasable for low prices at the moment. At any price, his music is worth the investment, and he deserves a place among the very great, that GREAT his music is. His Symphonies belong to the most played by me, and his Chamber music is cherish all the way through.
So today I have in the player his String Quartet No. 5 opus 81 in E flat major & String Quintet opus 40 in C major, and what a joy that is. Think Brahms, and as good as him, exploring depths Brahms never tapped.
The Sarastro Quartet are a very able body of musicians, that wholly absorb these compositions. the recording from 2008 is very good.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Harry on October 28, 2011, 04:14:37 AM
I seem to be the only admirer of the composer Weingartner on GMG, for I saw no mention of him by others! Maybe I missed it who knows?
I bought all CPO releases, and many of them are purchasable for low prices at the moment. At any price, his music is worth the investment, and he deserves a place among the very great, that GREAT his music is. His Symphonies belong to the most played by me, and his Chamber music is cherish all the way through.
So today I have in the player his String Quartet No. 5 opus 81 in E flat major & String Quintet opus 40 in C major, and what a joy that is. Think Brahms, and as good as him, exploring depths Brahms never tapped.
The Sarastro Quartet are a very able body of musicians, that wholly absorb these compositions. the recording from 2008 is very good.

Sonicman posted about him too. As have I - but not his chamber works as I have just the first two symphonies.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 28, 2011, 04:46:02 AM
Sonicman posted about him too. As have I - but not his chamber works as I have just the first two symphonies.

I am sorry, but did not see that. So I stand corrected. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Conor71 on October 28, 2011, 12:00:03 AM
Ravel: Piano Trio In A Minor
Chausson: Piano Trio In G Minor, Op. 3

First listen to this Disc which arrived about a month ago - I've heard the Ravel before and here it is very beautiful and well performed.
This will be the first time I've heard the Chausson or any Chausson for that matter! - I like French Chamber Music and am very fond of Faure so I expect good things from this piece :)

Conor, Chausson has written some great stuff.  Too bad he suffered an untimely and horrific death.  :(  I love his string quartet, his Concert. Op. 21 for violin, piano and string quartet and his Piano Quartet - as far as chamber music goes.  I have not heard his Piano Trio.

If you love French chamber music, you must listen to Cesar Franck's Piano Quintet, String Quartet and Violin Sonata!  :)

Mn Dave

Currently on the commute, Brahms by Karajan.

Lisztianwagner

Anton Bruckner
Symphony No. 4 "Romantic"
Berliner Philharmoniker
Herbert von Karajan

[asin]B001DCQI8W[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Mahler, Andante from the Sixth Symphony, Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 28, 2011, 08:36:39 AM
Mahler, Andante from the Sixth Symphony, Rattle conducting the Berlin Phil

Sarge

Now that's a perfect perm.  :o  ;D

Listening now...

[asin] B000003D0B[/asin]

Brahmsian

Schubert

4 Landler, D813
Fantasie in F minor, D940
Lebenssturme in A minor, D947
Divertissement a la Francaise, D823

Christoph Eschenbach & Justus Frantz, piano duet

Brilliant Classics

[asin]B000EDWM1I[/asin]

Conor71

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 28, 2011, 05:40:42 AM
Conor, Chausson has written some great stuff.  Too bad he suffered an untimely and horrific death.  :(  I love his string quartet, his Concert. Op. 21 for violin, piano and string quartet and his Piano Quartet - as far as chamber music goes.  I have not heard his Piano Trio.

If you love French chamber music, you must listen to Cesar Franck's Piano Quintet, String Quartet and Violin Sonata!  :)

I love Franck's Violin Sonata - one of my favourite pieces of music, I will play it now!  :D  I forgot about this Disc which contains a piece by Chausson as well so it appears I have heard this composer before!. If I remember the Poeme is a nice piece too!. Also love the Debussy Violin Sonata and Debussy & Ravel's String Quartets  :) .

Now listening:

Franck: Violin Sonata
Debussy: Violin Sonata
Chausson: Poeme For Violin & Orchestra

[asin]B00000INVO[/asin]

Papy Oli

Good evening  :)

All maiden works :

Italian Opera Overtures
Rossini - Guillaume Tell *
Rossini - Semiramide
Rossini - La Scala di Seta
Rossini - La Gazza ladra
Verdi - La Forza del Destino
Mozart - Don Giovanni

* i knew that end bit but didn't know it was this work...  :-[
Olivier

listener

TCHAIKOWSKY "light" 
50 popular Russian Songs for piano 4-hands
Theme & Variations in a, 'Voyevode' Pottpourri, 3 Romances - solo
Viktoria Postnikova, with Gennady Rozhdestvensky in the 50 pieces
MEDTNER    3 Sonatas for violin and piano
3 Nocturnes ôp. 39, 2 Canzonas with Dances op. 43
Manoug Parikian, violin       Hamish Milne, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Conor71

Schumann: Cello Concerto In A Minor, Op. 129
Saint-Saens: Cello Concerto No. 1 In A Minor, Op. 33
Monn: Cello Concerto In G Minor

:)

Conor71

Bach: Das Orgelbuchlein

[asin]B000RZOR2K[/asin]

Lethevich

Quote from: James on October 28, 2011, 04:27:52 PM
[asin]B000NOIWTY[/asin]

Not your usual kind of thing, James? Charming pieces, though! :)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Lethevich

Oh, sorry, I got the wrong impression.

np:
[asin]B000B6N67M[/asin]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Coco

J.S. Bach - English Suites Nos. 1-3

Gustav Leonhardt, harpsichord

The new erato

CD4 Missa de Beata Virgine; Motets: Vide speciosam, Gaude Maria virgo, Quam pulchra sunt

[asin]B0050F6JQE[/asin]

Perfect for a quiet Saturday morning in my listening room, trying to get a few small things done before my wife is up and about.

Que

Quote from: The new erato on October 28, 2011, 10:03:21 PM
Perfect for a quiet Saturday morning in my listening room, trying to get a few small things done before my wife is up and about.

A similar early morning scene here, further South. :)

This beautiful set of Lamentations might be right up your alley BTW! The best Alessandro Scarlatti I've encountered since the "La Santissima Trinita" disc by Biondi et al. Recommended at Newolde. The Fanfare review HERE.

Q