What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pi2000

Just received..(from Amazon.fr)
[asin]B0076JMP74[/asin]

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2012, 05:42:28 AM
Haydn Symphony #92 G major "Oxford" --the Hobbit Thomas Fey conducting the Heidelberger Sinfoniker

Sarge

Wow, you already got it? What's your take?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 31, 2012, 06:11:45 AM
Wow, you already got it? What's your take?

Stunningly good but not your father's Haydn. It's supercharged in Fey's inimitable way. Very dramatic and explosive. It might make some listeners uncomfortable  ;D  Very prominent timpani and trumpets. The horns go nuclear in the Adagio.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

First listen:

[asin]B000026BYF[/asin]
Novak South Bohemian Suite

I listen to the Nocturnes ages ago which were absolutely beautiful. Don't know why it took me so long to get to the other work on this disc... probably the numerous repeats of the Debussy recordings I recently finished!

Anyway, this is absolutely excellent music. An extremely beautiful, and enjoyable piece.
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2012, 06:21:07 AM
Stunningly good but not your father's Haydn. It's supercharged in Fey's inimitable way. Very dramatic and explosive. It might make some listeners uncomfortable  ;D  Very prominent timpani and trumpets. The horns go nuclear in the Adagio.

Sarge
That sounds nearly perfect to me...(wipes drool)... :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Glazunov
Violin Concerto
Heifetz, Barbirolli & LPO

[asin]B000I2ISMW[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2012, 06:21:07 AM

Sarge

I've been impressed with Fey so far, only missing 2 from his Haydn series, you described what I've heard from his previous Haydn recordings quite well, it's on the wish list, although so is Fey's #48 "Maria Theresia".
Thanks, Sarge!

Christo

One of last year's discoveries - Cydalise et le chèvre-pied, the complete ballet by Gabriel Pierné:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on March 31, 2012, 06:33:34 AM
One of last year's discoveries - Cydalise et le chèvre-pied, the complete ballet by Gabriel Pierné:

A very fine work and performance, Christo.

madaboutmahler

First Listen

[asin]B00004TD53[/asin]
Novak De Profundis

Listened to Lady Godiva and Toman and the Wood Nymph a few months ago, and have finally come to this work. De Profundis..............  :o Wow. What an absolutely amazing, deeply moving piece. Written in 1941 during the German occupation, you can just hear the anger and the sinister tension. And how that turns to absolute beautiful glory at the end, bringing so much hope, is extremely moving and, indeed, profound.

All three of the works on this disc have become absolute favourites of mine, and Novak a favourite composer of mine too now. He certainly deserves far more attention. A master!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 31, 2012, 05:03:02 AM
Happy Birthday, Haydn.
So let me get this straight, Haydn and Bach share the same birthday? Neat-o. I guess the Haydnistas celebrate here while the Bachians are off to the Bacchanalia! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Opus106

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 31, 2012, 07:01:59 AM
Bachians are off to the Bacchanalia! :)

Sounds more fun, doesn't it? ;)

Thread Duty: Toccata in E minor, BWV 914. I don't know who is performing... seriously! ;) Instrument sounds close to "perfection".
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

During Kitchen Police I'll be listening to Haydn Symphonies 82 (Bear) and 83 (Hen). Lenny conducting the NY Phil.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following trio for a first listen ...

The CD is the same as the following single

Sadko

Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

Faust - David Kuebler (Tenor)
Méphistophélès - Franz Grundheber (Bariton)
Marguerite - Beatrice Uria-Monzon (Mezzosopran)
Brander - Denis Sedov (Bass)
The Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, Cluj

The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
Gary Bertini

2. März 1996, live, Tel-Aviv, Mann Auditorium

Coopmv

Quote from: Sadko on March 31, 2012, 08:06:35 AM
Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé

Faust - David Kuebler (Tenor)
Méphistophélès - Franz Grundheber (Bariton)
Marguerite - Beatrice Uria-Monzon (Mezzosopran)
Brander - Denis Sedov (Bass)
The Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, Cluj

The Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
Gary Bertini

2. März 1996, live, Tel-Aviv, Mann Auditorium

Wow!  The Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, from the land of Count Dracula ...   :o

Sadko

Quote from: Coopmv on March 31, 2012, 08:09:41 AM
Wow!  The Transylvania State Philharmonic Choir, from the land of Count Dracula ...   :o

Quite fitting for the devlish topic :)

not edward

This great collection:

[asin]B000000AX6[/asin]

Bamert's whole Chandos series of this composer was valuable, but this is probably the disc I listen to as a whole the most often (though other ones in the series include such valuable rarities as Les quatres elements, Erasmi monumentum and the Symphonie--the one that isn't concertante, that is).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Coopmv

Now playing CD3 from the following trio for a first listen ...

The CD is the same as the following single

The new erato

First disc:

[asin]B005NKRFSC[/asin]

On the whole pretty delightful, though the Wagerian clouds hang neavily over the cantata Didon (and I prefer my Frenchies with a little more french esprit).