What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold Knight

On Spotify:

Vaughan Williams--Symphony No.4, performed by the New York Philharmonic led by Leonard Bernstein.
Anton Bruckner--Symphony No.4 in E-Flat {"Romantic} and Symphony No.6 in A Major, both featuring the Berliner Philharmoniker under the baton of Riccardo Muti.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 09, 2012, 04:10:23 PM
Now:

Interesting music. Listening to Repons. Lots of orchestral color. This isn't something I would listen to often, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

I may have told you this before, but that is my favorite disc of Boulez's music.
Good listening, John.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 09, 2012, 04:38:33 PM
I may have told you this before, but that is my favorite disc of Boulez's music.
Good listening, John.

From an ambient point-of-view, this is a very effective work I think. Interesting usage of instruments and color.

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B0074B2MV8[/asin]

Listening to this Harmonielehre again. Next I'm going to listen to this recording of it:

[asin]B000002RU2[/asin]

I haven't heard Rattle's Harmonielehre in quite some time. I remember liking the performance, but now that I have three other performances of this work, it'll be interesting to see how he fares against them.

KeithW

Szymanowski SQ 2 - Tognetti and the ACO

[asin]B00006FSPH[/asin]

classicalgeek

Earlier:

Johannes Brahms
Piano concerto no. 1 in D minor, op. 15
Maurizio Pollini, piano
Claudio Abbado; Berlin Philharmonic

[asin]B00005U1WO[/asin]

I found this performance a little underwhelming, short on passion - but I'm not a huge Pollini fan anyway.

Now up (and much better!):

Silvestre Revueltas
Redes
Eduardo Mata
Simón Bolívar SO

[asin]B000001Q9Q[/asin]

Thanks to M.I. for mentioning this recording last week (or was it one of the other Mata recordings of Latin music on Dorian?) and making me remember I had it!  Either way - this is the kind of music I love - highly rhythmic, full of great melodies, and brilliantly orchestrated.  Wonderful stuff!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B000000AC5[/asin]

Listening to Church Windows. Geoffrey Simon is outstanding in this music.

TheGSMoeller

.[asin]B0000665Z8[/asin]

Listening to Violin Sonata #3, some of the most alluring, joyous, emotion-inducing music I've come across in a while. I'm addicted to this piece, and this composer. Difficult to not admire the mysteriously jarring final bars of violin virtuoso that Biber composed to conclude this sonata.

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B000003CZV[/asin]

Listening to Church Windows. I've always admired and loved this work. Lopez-Cobos handles the work amazingly well. I'm torn between Simon's and Lopez-Cobos' now. I've always adored Simon's recording.

Gold Knight

On Spotify:

Carl Nielsen--Symphony No.5, Op.50 and Symphony No.4, Op.29 {"The Inextinguishable"}, both featuring the Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra under the baton of Gustavo Dudamel.

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B0007ACVJG[/asin]

First listen of Tippett's own performance and loving every minute of it. So far a beautiful performance of beautiful music.

Edit: This is a good performance especially for the fact that Tippett is the conductor, but right now, I'm still in awe of Hickox's performance which captures the soloists, chorus, and orchestra in even more atmospheric detail. There just seems like there's more depth in Hickox's recording. Maybe it's too early to judge since Tippett's own performance is halfway over, but I really like Hickox's choice of vocalists too and there's no question that the LSO are a better orchestra than the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. Anyway, just my impressions of Tippett's recording so far.

Mirror Image

Quote from: classicalgeek on May 09, 2012, 06:18:29 PM
Now up (and much better!):

Silvestre Revueltas
Redes
Eduardo Mata
Simón Bolívar SO

[asin]B000001Q9Q[/asin]

Thanks to M.I. for mentioning this recording last week (or was it one of the other Mata recordings of Latin music on Dorian?) and making me remember I had it!  Either way - this is the kind of music I love - highly rhythmic, full of great melodies, and brilliantly orchestrated.  Wonderful stuff!

No, it was another Mata/Dorian recording we were discussing but this is a good one too. Great performance of Revueltas' Redes and Sensemaya. I also really like that Ginastera work. Glad you're enjoying the music.

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on May 09, 2012, 11:23:11 AM
He rushes through it, rather, doesn't he, Nav? No breathing space between the phrases, and many of the rapid figurations are smashed clean through.

Perhaps. But could you really allow for breathing space in a (puny!) piano, which doesn't quite have the sustaining capabilities of an organ? I'll listen to it later this evening (and maybe other performances as well) and see how it compares to the original (there was a wee household snafu yesterday while I was listening to it, so I had to let it play in the background for awhile).
Regards,
Navneeth

Que

listener

recorded about 60 years ago, modern instruments, much vibrato`:
FRESCOBALDI 5 Canzoni per sonar      ROSENMÜLLER  Sonata 2 in e
F. COUPERIN Le Parnasse, ou l'apothéose de Corelli
Sylvia Marlowe, harpsichord  Claude Monteux, flute (and narrator in the Couperin)
Bernard Greenhouse, cello    Harry Shulman, oboe
HUBER Noctes intelligibilis lucis - for oboe and harpsichord
BERIO Sequenza 7,  CASTIGLIONI Alef  - oboe solo
KRENEK 4 Pieces for oboe and piano   LEHMANN Spiele for oboe and harp
HOLLIGER Trio for oboe/cor anglais  viola & harp
Heinz Holliger, oboe
pieces that need a signal from the performers to let you know when they've finished.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Volume V of the Complete Sonatas, which was lying around for a long time, and was sadly enough forgotten. This morning I had to go through my to listen pile and discovered that most of it is Orchestral music, just 5 CD'S left in it with baroque music, and these Clementi sonatas. I have to do some serious listening in what is waiting for me. And "Yay" I can rummage through my collection for baroque music, first time in 15 years. Anyways those who doubt the quality of the Clementi sonatas should do some serious dipping in Volume V, opening with two sonatas dedicated to "Miss Isabella Savery", no doubt a beauty with some amazing talents, for the opus 34 works are nothing short on genius. I enjoy all works for this instruments written by him, but the opus 34 are a breed apart. One in C and G, the perfection of which is shimmering like a light from heaven, and so well written that I could not help myself, and listen twice, just to make sure how good they are. Also added is a delightful ditty a Capriccio No. 1 in A, also opus 34. What needs mentioned also is the excellent instrument Mastroprimiano is playing on, "A Clementi ca 1828-Edwin Beunk Collection" Perfect. Sound is almost state of the art. Giovanni Caruso is to be complimented on this, Sjoerd Heijda did the tuning to perfection a'=430Hz.

The new erato

Quote from: Que on May 09, 2012, 09:35:08 PM

Q
I do seriously wonder if not Lassus Pentitential Psalms is the greatest late renaissance music ever written.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

So good, that I actually got on with the second disc, containing the second Capriccio opus 34 in F, and the technically very demanding "Six progressive Sonatinas for the Piano Forte, opus 36". The playing, as the sound is impeccable, but I have something to say about the scanty booklet. If so much effort has gone into the performing edition of this set, its almost a affront that Mastroprimiano did not get more space to tell us about the works. For what he tells hints at a interesting history, and one page is not enough for three CD'S in this set, never mind the gruesome colours they used for the different sets.  Purple in this case! Yuk!

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on May 09, 2012, 02:26:12 PM
Re: Debussy - Excellent, Danny

Mahler
Symphony No. 2 'Resurrection'
Klemperer

[asin]B00004R8TO[/asin]

;D

The Mahler - excellent, Karlo! :D

John, did you get to listen to the Rattle?

Managed to get onto the forum at school! :D
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Opus106

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 10, 2012, 12:45:28 AM
Managed to get onto the forum at school! :D

Ah, no wonder the bird is 'up' so early. ;D Top of the morning to you, Daniel.

Thread Duty:

A delightful rendition of Beethoven's VS No. 3. Kavakos and Pace, live at Concertgebouw. Can't wait for these two to complete their cycle for Decca.

Regards,
Navneeth