What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gold Knight on December 29, 2012, 05:53:48 PM
Felix Mendelssohn--Symphony No.3 in A Minor, Op.56 {"Scottish"} and Symphony No.4 in A Major, Op.90 {"Italian"}, both featuring the Berliner Philharmoniker under the baton of Herbert von Karajan.
Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.1 in C Major, Op.21 and Symphony No.2 in D Major, Op.36, both works performed by the John Eliot Gardiner led Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique.

Reading Gold Knight's posts gives me great joy!  :)  I love the descriptions you post.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Job. This is a very good performance. It stands direct comparison with Hickox's. Both are lively, expressive performances.

Brian

Isabelle Faust's concerto, backed up by Claudio Abbado, is the 296th time I've listened to Beethoven in 2012.

Only 50 hours to hit 300. I can do it!

Coopmv

Quote from: Coopmv on December 29, 2012, 05:56:48 PM
Now playing the following SACD - led by Monica Huggett, another recent arrival from across the pond just before Christmas for a first listen ...

Baroque works by central/eastern European composers certainly sound a bit different to my ears.  I am still trying to get familiarized with the style, which is so different from the German and Italian Baroque I am so used to ...

Gold Knight

On Spotify:

Carl Nielsen--Symphony No.1 in G Minor, Op.7 and Symphony No.6, FS 116 {"Sinfonia semplice"}, both performed by the Danish National Symphony Orchestra under the stick of Michael Schonwandt. These are very flowing, eddying renditions, which is the way I believe Nielsen should be interpreted/performed.

Gold Knight

@ ChamberNut, Thanks and back at you!  :-*

Conor71

Ligeti: Ramifications

Back onto Ligeti now and I will stick with these 2 sets and the Penderecki for the rest of the day. I have a small collection of contemporary classical which Im guessing is about 30-35 Discs in all so I may try and make a week of it!

Octave

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 29, 2012, 06:21:15 AM
Serenades are great (and can be found separately - highly recommended), though I too am interested in what he thinks of Kertesz in the symphonies.

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 29, 2012, 06:14:01 AM
+1.  I'd love to hear that Brahms Kertesz set.  Let us know your thoughts, please.  :)

You guys are kind to ask, though I feel a bit insecure weighing in---featherweight!---on faces carved in stone, like these symphonies.  I'll leave some impressions next week.  FWIW, several music friends whose tastes I often find instructive---including sometimes Amazon customer/reviewer and listmaker M.R. Simpson and erstwhile GMG member Clever Hans---seem to have shortlisted Kertsz's accounts of both the symphonies and the serenades.  I cannot wait to hear them.

Earlier tonight, I felt like night music, so it's been a splurge:

Chopin: NOCTURNES, by Claudio Arrau ('Philips 50' remaster [?]) and by Ivan Moravec [new Supraphon remaster, 2012]

It has been years since I listened to the Moravec NOCTURNES last, so I cannot vouch for how different this Supraphon remaster is from the old purple Nonesuch.  It's a big favorite, though!  I cannot believe I went so long without owning and playing it.

Also, wonderfully ironic-melancholic-quizzical night music, in need of a reissue....

Mozart: MUSIC FOR BASSET HORNS [etc] (members of CSO winds, RCA, 2cd)
http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Members-Chicago-Symphony-Winds/dp/B00000DS70/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

If anybody has strong preferences for other readings of these pieces, I would love to hear them; perhaps I should ask in a relevant Mozart thread instead...
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Que

.[asin]B0037SQ2L8[/asin]

Returning this excellent series of music by Jacobus Vaet, member of the 5th generation of the Franco-Flemish School, close friend of Lassus and Clemens non Papa.

All I now need is volume 4... 8)

Q

Octave

I am interested in that Vaet series, Que.  My only points of reference for him are a couple recordings by Cinquencento, on Hyperion:

only part of the first of which is Vaet's music.

I was hypnotized by MISSA EGO FLOS CAMPI in particular, but I haven't moved any further.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

premont

Quote from: Coopmv on December 29, 2012, 05:54:57 PM
Dave,  I saw the twofer on English Suites by Elina Mustonen on BRO and will get to them one of these days.  I still do not place many orders with BRO, probably 2 or 3 times a year but they are usually pretty large orders.  I am just intrigued by not being able to find that twofer by her on the Partitas on Amazon ...

I got the English suites from JPC, but you can also get them (together with the French suites and the partitas) from the website of the artist, which Gordon refers to above.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Lisztianwagner

Ddmitri Shostakovich
Symphony No.4

[asin]B0002XDOGC[/asin]
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Que

.[asin]B000HD1OAK[/asin]

Concluding. :)

Q

Sergeant Rock

Shostakovich String Quartets 4, 5 and 6 played by the Emerson Quartet

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

KeithW

Quote from: Coopmv on December 29, 2012, 05:15:10 PM
Don't seem to be able to find this recording on Amazon ...

Try this (apologies if the image doesn't appear - it's a customer loaded one, but it will get you to the right recording.

[asin]B0001LJBSA[/asin]

Lake Swan

Sergeant Rock

Vaughan Williams Old King Cole-A Ballet for Orchestra, Hickox conducting the Northern Sinfonia of England

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 30, 2012, 05:35:58 AM
Vaughan Williams Old King Cole-A Ballet for Orchestra, Hickox conducting the Northern Sinfonia of England

Sarge

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts of the work, Sarge. I heard it's more light-hearted than Job, but contains some beautiful, lyrical moments as well.

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 30, 2012, 01:20:57 AM
I got the English suites from JPC, but you can also get them (together with the French suites and the partitas) from the website of the artist, which Gordon refers to above.

Just today I realize that several recordings by Elina Mustonen are available on the NML (not the first part of the Clavier-Übung, though).

Now I'm listening to her English Suites:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 28, 2012, 07:20:39 PM
Yes! What did you think about the work, Karl?

Cheers, John! They were not the best of listening conditions, but (by mine own consent, of course) I owed you the listen.  Liked all the bits, haven't yet gotten a good sense of the overall musical sweep. Bottom line: thumbs up!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot