Симфония № 4 c-moll, соч. 43 [ Symphony № 4 in c minor, Opus 43 ]
National Symphony Orchestra
Мстислав Леопольдович [ Mstislav Leopoldovich (Rostropovich) ]

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Bogey

Time to revisit a favorite set:

I still owe DavidW huge for directing me to this run many moons ago.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 15, 2013, 11:27:24 AM
Most interesting timing, Ilaria! Just finished listening to:

Дмитри Дмитриевич [ Dmitri Dmitriyevich (Shostakovich) ]
Симфония № 4 c-moll, соч. 43 [ Symphony № 4 in c minor, Opus 43 ]
National Symphony Orchestra
Мстислав Леопольдович [ Mstislav Leopoldovich (Rostropovich) ]

Quite so! :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on February 15, 2013, 01:22:05 AM
It certainly is. And probably just a stock photo someone pulled to slap on this disc. "Looks Mozartish enough". Unless there's a connection between the concertos (or a dedication) and Esterháza that I'm not aware of.

Thank you.  Rather unexpected, since the Hogwoodians actually posed for the cover on the steps---

No, they didn't.  I had enough sense to go look at the cover of the Hogwood box, and realized that, while the building color and general style are very similar, it's not the same building, and my memory last night was false. (For one thing, the Hogwood photo has a bunch of cherubs running through the stairway decorations.)   The box gives no indication of the place, but I would assume its locale was Salzburg or similar.  (or Bath, but I don't remember seeing any buildings very much like that one in size during my very brief encounter with Bath).

Thread duty:
Elgar:  The Music Makers
Halle/Elder cond.

Todd

Best LvB Second ever?  Possibly.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Rinaldo

I love this thread.

[asin]B003RECFJU[/asin]
aka

This recording definitely deserves more exposition.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 15, 2013, 01:29:53 PM
Thank you.  Rather unexpected, since the Hogwoodians actually posed for the cover on the steps---

No, they didn't.  I had enough sense to go look at the cover of the Hogwood box, and realized that, while the building color and general style are very similar, it's not the same building, and my memory last night was false. (For one thing, the Hogwood photo has a bunch of cherubs running through the stairway decorations.)   The box gives no indication of the place, but I would assume its locale was Salzburg or similar.  (or Bath, but I don't remember seeing any buildings very much like that one in size during my very brief encounter with Bath).

Oh, that totally is Esterhaza on the Hogwood box. You weren't mistaken the first time. The cherubs are there... the iron-working is the same... if you compare that to other pictures, it's more obvious. Did they record there?

For a while I thought it was Schoenbrunn, but it's definitely Esterhaza.

Thread duty:

Ricky Wagner
Die Walküre
V.Gergiev / Mariinsky /
A.Kampe, J.Kaufmann, R.Pape, N.Stemme

Mariinsky Live SACDs

German link - UK link

bloody brilliant, and i almost hate to say that.

NJ Joe

Symphony No. 4.  Haven't listened to this in quite a while, and WOW, it's blowing me away. Magnificent.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

kishnevi

Quote from: jlaurson on February 15, 2013, 03:27:12 PM
Oh, that totally is Esterhaza on the Hogwood box. You weren't mistaken the first time. The cherubs are there... the iron-working is the same... if you compare that to other pictures, it's more obvious. Did they record there?

For a while I thought it was Schoenbrunn, but it's definitely Esterhaza.

The box only gives copyright dates, and nothing I can see about recording dates or venues.  There is a relatively long essay serving as the liner notes, in which I see no mention of Esterhaza or its owners.  Of course, I've got the Italian version, so perhaps the language gap made me miss something.

Thread duty:

Ricky Wagner
Die Walküre
V.Gergiev / Mariinsky /

Mariinsky Live SACDs

German link - UK link

I have to ask: is it worth the price being asked for it.   There are a number of complete Rings running around for less than the price of this one.

Thread duty:
Mozart: Symphonies 42 and 43

Actually,  it's a pleasant and zippy performance....but if you're looking for something more in these two symphonies, you won't get it from Bell.

Gold Knight

Gustav Mahler--Symphony No.3 in D Minor, featuring the New York Philharmonic, mezzo-soprano Martha Lipton, the Women's Chorus of the Schola Cantorum and the Boys' Choir of the Church of the Transfiguration. All are under the direction of Leonard Bernstein.
Anton Bruckner--Symphony No.0 in D Minor, featuring the Wurttemberg Philharmonic Orchestra led by ROberto Paternostro.
Anton Bruckner--Symphony No.9 in D Minor, performed by the Herbert von Karajan led Berliner Philharmoniker.

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Delius' Idylle de printemps. Very nice performance of a gorgeous work.

John Copeland

If you haven't heard Karl Birger Blomdahl before, and you get round to him, oh boy, are you in for a treat!   0:)

[asin]B000025USG[/asin]

Bogey

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 15, 2013, 04:59:37 AM
Staying in G major, Haydn Symphony #3, Hogwood conducting The Academy of Ancient Music

Sarge

Your impressions of Chris's take, Sarge.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mirror Image

Now:

Listening to Variations on a Hungarian Folksong "The Peacock". Thrilling performance of some great music. It's been quite some time since I listened to any of Kodaly's music.

Gold Knight

Ludwig Van Beethoven--Symphony No.1 in C Major, Op.21 and Symphony No.3 in E-Flat Major, Op.55 {"Eroica"}, both performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker under Herbert von Karajan.
Ralph Vaughan Williams--Symphony No.2 {"A London Symphony"}, featuring Adrian Boult and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
Ralph Vaughan Williams--Symphony No.3 {"A Pastoral Symphony"}, once again with Maestro Boult, this time at the helm of the New Philharmonia Orchestra.

Mirror Image

Now:

[asin]B000SKJQWK[/asin]

Listening to always beautiful Violin Sonata. After this, bedtime. :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 15, 2013, 06:03:28 PM
Quote from: jlaurson on February 15, 2013, 03:27:12 PM

Ricky Wagner
Die Walküre
V.Gergiev / Mariinsky /

Mariinsky Live SACDs

German link - UK link

I have to ask: is it worth the price being asked for it.   There are a number of complete Rings running around for less than the price of this one.

uh-oh... I don't know... at the very least, I can't answer that for anyone else. (What's the asking price, anyway? Four SACDs... can't be a bargain. But then, neither are - presumably - the Janowski recordings on Pentatone.)

What will this be... only the third Ring Cycle on SACD (not counting retro-remasterings like Solti's or Furtwaengler's)? After Haenchen (on Etcetera) and Asher Fish (on Melba)?

Dungeon Master

This thread has become too big for its own good. It's 6000+ posts are causing server problems. Read more here.

This thread is now "read only". Please continue posting your current listening choices onn the all new WAYLT thread.