What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2007, 12:43:18 AM
Rossini.  Complete Piano music, Volume I.  Stefan Irmer, Piano.

Harry - I've been contemplating those Rossini Piano Works for a while - if possible, could you recommend a couple to get started?  Thanks - Dave  :)

Que

Listening to a recently purchased recording:

Dvorak's cello concerto (no. 2 in B minor - the famous one)
by Daniel Veis and the Prague Radio Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Libor Pešek (1991)

An obscure recording on an obscure label: the Czech Panton label - probably long gone.
And you know what? This is actually an outstanding, authentically Czech performance which I enjoyed thouroughly.

A short bio I found on Daniel Veis:
Cellist Daniel Veis won first prize at the 1976 Prague Spring Competition and won the silver medal at the 1978 Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow. Born in Prague, he studied there and at the Moscow Conservatory with N. Shakhovskaya. He has performed as a soloist with major orchestras in venues including Avery Fisher Hall and Carnegie Hall, Royal Albert Hall, and Orchard Hall in Tokyo.

His extensive repertoire includes contemporary compositions, and he has recorded works by Dvorak, Brahms, Schumann, Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, and Shostakovich. In 1989, he became a guest-soloist of the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. In addition to a solo career, he is a member of the Rosamunde Trio. Veis is a professor of cello and vice-dean at the Academy of Performing Arts in Prague. He frequently gives master classes and serves on juries of international competitions.

Q

Florestan

Saint-Saens

Piano Concerto no. 2

Abdel Rahman el Bacha
Paul Goodwin
"Virtuosi from Bucharest" Chamber Orchestra

Live broadcasting from Athenee Concert Hall in Bucharest :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Hector

'Werther' or 'I can't get my leg over because she's gone and married somebody else...what's this gun?'

This is the EMI set with the golden couple of Alagna and Gheorghiu with a fine supporting cast under Pappano and the best on disc unless, somewhere, there is a recording of De Los Angeles and Gedda under Monteux at the Opera Paris (or Covent Garden), which I doubt.

I'm quite 'in' to Massenet, still.

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on September 13, 2007, 05:23:08 AM
Don't forget Bogey's special gift of a pile of green mermaid goo ........

You just know that Disney's got to be involved at a macro-level . . . .

SonicMan46

Bach Cello Suites w/ Anner Bylsma using the Servais Stradivarius Cello from the Smithsonian collection of instruments; I've probably had a half dozen or so recordings of these suites over the years - now own this one & the Rostropovich set - Bylsma is my favorite at the moment (recorded in 1992 - excellent sound).   :D

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2007, 06:21:20 AM
Harry - I've been contemplating those Rossini Piano Works for a while - if possible, could you recommend a couple to get started?  Thanks - Dave  :)

Dave you may start anywhere, they are really all very good, but if you want to sample, well volume 1 and 4 and seven, that would give you a idea what to expect, but believe me, after hearing one, you want them all. :)

Harry

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2007, 06:48:00 AM
Bach Cello Suites w/ Anner Bylsma using the Servais Stradivarius Cello from the Smithsonian collection of instruments; I've probably had a half dozen or so recordings of these suites over the years - now own this one & the Rostropovich set - Bylsma is my favorite at the moment (recorded in 1992 - excellent sound).   :D

Yes heard it a couple of days ago, and you are right in all you say. :)

Harry

Haydn.

Complete Masses.

Theresienmesse, in B flat major.

Ann Monoyios, Soprano.
Svetlana Serdar, Mezzo.
Wolfgang Bunten, Tenor.
Harry van der Kamp, Bass.
Tolzer Knabenchor.
Tafelmusik/Bruno Weil.

Hard on the heels on the complete set I heard from Hickox a couple of days ago, I bought this set on a firm recommendation from Que. Being dissatisfied with the Hickox and complaining about that, Que told me that Brilliant had licensed this excellent set from Sony for a pittance. So I ordered this 3 days ago, and they delivered it today by post. Eager as I was I put in the first cd, not knowing what to expect. Monoyios did me a bad service by recording a terrible Dido, and me hearing it, so I was determent not to involve myself again with this soprano. A mistake, I now admit, for she is truly a lovely soprano, that fits in well with a voice that is without sharpness, and very little vibrato. And she made me realize the emotional content of the mass, something the Hickox recording was not able to do.
But the excellence does not stop there, for the Mezzo is a treasure too, with a well rounded voice, well and van der Kamp needs no introduction, he is fine as he is. Bunten was unknown to me, but he is a well rounded Tenor. The Tolzer boys sing wonderfully serene, and the lucid playing of Tafelmusik is a joy too. The authentic playing pays its dividends. Considering all this, Hickox was a bad buy.
Que assures me that the quality is throughout the whole set, so I may expect more joy to come.
The recording made in 1992 is excellent, and a good stage image is emerging.

rubio

Brahms Symphony No. 3 by Harnoncourt/BPO. This more small-scale performance did not really click with me this first time. I guess I prefer the broader, grander old-fashioned Brahms interpretations. But maybe it will work for me the next time I hear it :).

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

orbital

Feldman - Various piano works: Vertical thoughts, projections, intermissions, and other pieces.

bhodges

Quote from: orbital on September 13, 2007, 10:18:29 AM
Feldman - Various piano works: Vertical thoughts, projections, intermissions, and other pieces.

By any chance have you heard this version of Triadic Memories?  It's marvelous, and comes in a DVD version, too, with a 20-minute interview with Nonken talking about Feldman. 

--Bruce

Harry

Haydn.

Nelsonmesse, in D minor.

Ann Monoyios, Soprano.
Svetlana Serdar, Mezzo.
Wolfgang Bunten, Tenor.
Harry van der Kamo, Bass.
Tolzer Knabenchor.
Tafelmusik/Bruno Weil.

Really great performance, with well judged tempi, clear singing in all departments, solo voices are excellent.
No complains whatshowever. This is what I want to hear.

karlhenning

Dmitri Dmitriyevich
Symphony No. 15 in A major, Opus 141
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Mariss Jansons

BachQ

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2007, 10:33:36 AM
Haydn.

Nelsonmesse, in D minor.

Ann Monoyios, Soprano.
Svetlana Serdar, Mezzo.
Wolfgang Bunten, Tenor.
Harry van der Kamo, Bass.
Tolzer Knabenchor.
Tafelmusik/Bruno Weil.

Really great performance, with well judged tempi, clear singing in all departments, solo voices are excellent.
No complains whatshowever. This is what I want to hear.

You manage to spew forth a long exegesis for Haydn's Theresienmesse, in B flat major ...... yet you allocate only two lines for Haydn's Nelsonmesse, in D minor ........  :'(

Haffner

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on September 13, 2007, 10:37:41 AM
Dmitri Dmitriyevich
Symphony No. 15 in A major, Opus 141
London Philharmonic Orchestra
Mariss Jansons

Another day ........ another DD .........

karlhenning

Harry

Quote from: D Minor on September 13, 2007, 11:08:33 AM
You manage to spew forth a long exegesis for Haydn's Theresienmesse, in B flat major ...... yet you allocate only two lines for Haydn's Nelsonmesse, in D minor ........  :'(

Well take the posting from the Theresienmesse and copy it to the Nelsonmesse my friend.
The D minor work is as fabulous as the B flat major. But to repeat the same praise would be silly right.
Less is more. ;D

Haffner

Quote from: Harry on September 13, 2007, 11:23:05 AM
Well take the posting from the Theresienmesse and copy it to the Nelsonmesse my friend.
The D minor work is as fabulous as the B flat major. But to repeat the same praise would be silly right.
Less is more. ;D

Hmmm...I'm gonna have to check that recording out!

Since we had to get all friendly on Papa Joe, I'm spinning my Quatuor Mosaique recording of op. 20 and thereby being boringly same-y again.