What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2007, 05:47:26 PM
Do that please George if you can find one.  Too many here enjoying this and I only have the Ma, which I enjoy immensely  I was considering a Casals, but maybe I need to give this a try.

I will upload a sample of each, but you will need to download it to your computer in order to hear it.

Or, you can just go here

SonicMan46

Do that please George if you can find one.  Too many here enjoying this and I only have the Ma, which I enjoy immensely  I was considering a Casals, but maybe I need to give this a try.

Bill & George - I'll take a listen to the link mentioned in George's post - but those Anner Bylsma recordings are just wonderful, Bill - great cellist, historic cello, and excellent Sony acoustics - I've had many of these suites in other recordings (and these are not easy works to just listen to) - the Bylsma is really one to seach out!  8)

Bill - concerning the Mozart Piano Concertos w/ Schiff/Vegh - I likely bought this 'box set' from the Amazon Marketplace @ a good price (my guess would be $80 or so, maybe less) - I just checked Amazaon USA and could not find the box listed - hmmm - Arkiv Music has the set for $146+ - OUCH!   If interested, good luck in finding a 'decent' price (like $10 or less a disc) - Dave  :)

Que

Either one of them (Bijlsma or Wispelwey) would be a really excellent choice for a HIP recording, Bill. I'm a Bijlsma man myself (2nd rec. on Sony, that Dave mentioned).

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 06:18:35 PM
Either one of them (Bijlsma or Wispelwey) would be a really excellent choice for a HIP recording, Bill. I'm a Bijlsma man myself (2nd rec. on Sony, that Dave mentioned).

Q

What "historical" transfer do you enjoy Que?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2007, 06:23:20 PM
What "historical" transfer do you enjoy Que?

Pablo Casals - on Pearl, which is a particularly good transfer and has some "bonus" tracks in the form of transcriptons. It's OOP, I believe George was very satisfied with the transfer on Opus Kura.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 06:29:57 PM
Pablo Casals - on Pearl, which is a particularly good transfer and has some "bonus" tracks in the form of transcriptons. It's OOP, I believe George was very satisfied with the transfer on Opus Kura.

Q

Indeed he was. He also has the Pearl (from my local library).

I just compared them side by side. The Pearl has a bit more noise, the cello sounds more realistic and the bass is more present. The Opus Kura is just as clear with less noise and sounds slightly less realistic, with some lacking bass. Nonetheless, the Opus Kura sounds fine, I don't think you'll be disappointed, Bill. It sure beats that horrific EMI version. BTW, I got mine through ArchivMusic.

George

Q

I agree that they are both nice, though I give the edge to Wispelwey.

George

Q

Check PM?

Bogey

Just compared the Casals Pearl, the Bijlsma and the Wispelwey.  Bijlsma seemed to suit me best out of the three, though the Wispelwey has a very unique approach (?) that might be nice to have also and would be more "contrasting" when next to my Ma set.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on September 13, 2007, 06:44:29 PM
I agree that they are both nice, though I give the edge to Wispelwey.

George - for those following this 'sub-thread' on the Bach Cello Suites, the Wispelwey recordings do look quite appealing (plus only $14 from Caiman!) - 5* reviews from the Amazonians except for one poor rating (and similarly poor comments).  Hmmm - for that price, I might put that set on my 'wish list'!   :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2007, 07:02:03 PM
George - for those following this 'sub-thread' on the Bach Cello Suites, the Wispelwey recordings do look quite appealing (plus only $14 from Caiman!) - 5* reviews from the Amazonians except for one poor rating (and similarly poor comments).  Hmmm - for that price, I might put that set on my 'wish list'!   :D

You won't be disappointed.  $:)

Bogey

Quote from: SonicMan on September 13, 2007, 07:02:03 PM

Which sets do you have at this time Dave?

Que

So what do you guys make of this recording by Paolo Beschi? (click picture)
Another favourite of mine and IMO every bit as good as Bijlsma or Wispelwey, though different.

Q

George

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 07:19:33 PM
Another favourite of mine and IMO every bit as good as Bijlsma or Wispelwey, though different.

Q

Whoa! This guy breaks the speed limit!  :o

SonicMan46

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2007, 07:03:25 PM
Which sets do you have at this time Dave?

Bill - presently, I have just 2 sets - Rostropovich & Bylsma - in the past, I've had a number of other recordings, including Casals & Starker - the Casals was early in my collecting, so may have been more an early 'poor' sound recording (probably better versions now - certainly current reviews are good & this is THE HISTORIC performance to have if that is your desire); Starker was good but preferred the ones that I now own.  The set that I've not heard is w/ Pierre Fournier - seems to be highly recommended and is an historic peformance.  If I would to add a third one to my collection, the Wispelway would probably now be my choice - Dave  :)

Bogey

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 07:19:33 PM

Q

I thought the Wispelwey was fast, but this cat cooks....you sure this is not Mingus during a warm up?

Que

Quote from: George on September 13, 2007, 07:21:36 PM
Whoa! This guy breaks the speed limit!  :o

Quote from: Bogey on September 13, 2007, 07:24:59 PM
I thought the Wispelwey was fast, but this cat cooks....you sure this is not Mingus during a warm up?

He doesn't play faster throughout - but it certainly is a more adventurous version! ;D
"Kick-ass Bach"...got he tip on this from Don - nuff said 8)

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 07:29:45 PM
He doesn't play faster throughout - but it certainly is a more adventerous version! ;D

Q

Correct....it does slow down after the Violoncello Solo Suite I In G Major: Prelude and sounds very nice.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on September 13, 2007, 07:29:45 PM
He doesn't play faster throughout - but it certainly is a more adventurous version! ;D

Q - OK, I have 2 sets already, could get a third, but REALLY 4 sets?  :o ;)

So, for the record, what is your current listing of the sets mentioned that you own?  Thanks - Dave  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Corey on September 13, 2007, 01:34:29 PM
Great piece, but don't you think the text is lame? Clichéd and overly-sentimental if you ask me, and you didn't. :D

Frankly, although I speak French, I paid no attention whatsoever to the words. OTOH, I don't mind sentimentality at all --- I'm a huge fan of Rachmaninov and I just love François Coppée's poetry.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini