What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilas Pastia

Bill, give us details! :D

I'm pleased to see canadians Donna Brown, Susan Platts and Nathan Berg were heard in Denver ;D

Bogey

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on September 19, 2007, 06:34:07 PM
Bill, give us details! :D

I'm pleased to see canadians Donna Brown and Nathan Berg were heard in Denver ;D

My wife and I caught this concert and they must of taped it, and the local radio station just replayed it:

Hosted, written and produced by Charley Samson, Colorado Spotlight connects you with Colorado's own classical musicians, composers, performing groups and festivals.

From the 2006-2007 season of the Colorado Symphony Orchestra, Jeffrey Kahane conducts and plays piano, and Duain Wolfe conducts the Chorus in Beethoven's Fantasia in C major for Piano, Chorus and Orchestra, Op.80 (Choral Fantasy), and Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op.125 (Choral), with Donna Brown, soprano, Susan Platts, mezzo-soprano, Richard Clement, tenor, and Nathan Berg, bass.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Drasko

William Schuman - Symphony No.9 - Philadelphia/Ormandy

My very first encounter with the composer. Interesting, quite powerful piece. At first listen reminds me bit of Honegger.

George

Rachmaninov

Prelude in G minor

Rachmaninov

:o :o :o

George

Solitary Wanderer

'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Florestan

Rachmaninov

Symphony no. 3 in A minor op. 44
Symphonic Dances op. 45

Mariss Jansons
St. Petersburg PO

Я тебя люблю, Сергей Васильевич! :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Harry

Giacomo Carissimi. (1605-1674)

Oratorios.

Regina Hester.
Dialogo del Gigante Golia.
De tempore Interfecto Sisar.
Diluvium Universale- Dialogo del Noe.

Musica Fiata.
La Capella Ducale.
Monika Mauch, Constanze Backes, Gela Birkenstaedt, Rannveig Sif Sigurdardottir, Soprano's.
Alessandro Carmignani, Wilfried Jochens, Alto's.
Harry van der Kamp, Bass.
Conducted by Roland Wilson

This fine recording was made in 2003, and has a nice bloom. The stage image is remarkable, and very lucid.
The singers from the Capella Ducale are topnotch, no complains from me. Strong soprano voices but devoid of artificial vibrato. As a choir there is great unity, and Musica Fiata, that plays on period instruments, do not disappoint, they rarely do.
And the Oratorios are great works, with well written texts, and constant interesting music, which keeps you alert.

Harry

Franz Tunder. (1613-1667)

Concerti.

Rheinische Kantorei.

Stephanie Petitlaurent, Veronica Winter, Sopranos.
Beat Dudeck, Alto.
Henning Kaiser, Michael Schaffrath, Tenors.
Ekkehard Abele, Yashitaka Ogasawara, Basses.
Das Kleine Concert/Hermann Max.

Another gem from the latest batch of cd's that came in yesterday.
Apart from some Organ works, this Composer was unknown to me, but if these Concerti are anything to go by, I am quite glad that I bought this one, and make his acquaintance. A writer of great tunes, and fine scoring for voices at all.
Recorded in 2003, this is a very good recording, excellent detail, and stage image.
All of the singers of the Rheinische Kantorei are delicious food for the ear, fine sopranos, and basses.
Bible texts set to music, and presented with dramatic appeal, without falling into the trap of overdoing it.
Marvelous.

Harry

Johann Joseph Fux. (1660-1741)

Lux Aeterna-Sacred Works.

Armonico Tributo Austria.
Domkantorei Graz.
Men of the Grazer Choralschola/Lorenz Duftschmid.

This morning I have a penchant for old Vocal music, the third one in a row of most excellent works.
Also in my JPC box, Fux is a surprise, and a very welcome one at that.
This fabulous recording from 2001, does full justice to this music, great stage front to back, very detailed, warm ambient sound, well balanced.
From the participants nothing but good, not a single complaint I have.
Fux writes fine vocal music, based on biblical texts, that makes me sit in awe.

Harry

Johann Friedrich Fasch. (1688-1758)

Overture in D minor for Chalumeau, two oboes, bassoon, violine concertato.
Concerto in B flat major, for Chalumeau, two oboes, two violins, viloa, and B.C.

"Jauchzet dem Hern" new year cantata for Bass, two violins, viola, and B.C.
"Laetatus sum", for Soprano, Bass, two violins, Viola, and B.C.
"Sanftes brausen, Susses Sausen", Pentecast cantata for Bass, Chalumeau, Oboe, Bassoon, Two Violins, Viola, and B.C.

Klaus Mertens, Bariton.
Deborah York, Soprano.
Accademia Daniel/Shalev Ad-El. ( On period instruments)

This is again a fine recording from CPO made in 1999. Not often do I encounter a bad egg in their nest.
Good stage presence, and gorgeous detail to be had. Both singers are extremely fine, and this Ensemble unknown to me, play gorgeous.
The concertos for Chalumeau are to be treasured. What a fine sounding instrument is that. Well written too. Telemann wrote quite a few for this instrument.
The Vocal renderings fill me with joy, Deborah York sings the notes clear as a bell, and Klaus Mertens is always reliable.

karlhenning

Seeing the name "Nikolai Kapustin," I cannot help but think St-Nicholas-in-the-Cabbage-Patch  8)

hautbois

Symphony No. 3's 2nd movement must be one of classical music's best kept secrets.

Howard

Harry

Quote from: hautbois on September 20, 2007, 03:57:49 AM

Symphony No. 3's 2nd movement must be one of classical music's best kept secrets.

Howard

And the fact that it is a very good recording of the symphonies.
Had it for years.

Harry

Matthias Weckmann. (1616?-1674)

Sacred Works.

Himlische Cantorey. (On Period Instruments)

Veronika Winter, Hedwig Voss, Sopranos.
Henning Voss, Alto.
Jan Kobow, Henning Kaiser, Tenors.
Ralf Grobe, Bass.

Another fine addition to my collection. Recorded in 2002, it sounds really well, with instruments and choir well placed, give a almost perfect balance. Texts based on the Bible, placed in a ideal setting of instruments, extremely well scored, I may add.
No complaints here either, soloist are by now well known to me, and do well on this recording.
The Himlische Cantorey needs no introduction, they are famous throughout Europe.

karlhenning

Pettersson
Symphony No. 2
BBC Scottish Symphony
Alun Francis

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 04:23:35 AM
Pettersson
Symphony No. 2
BBC Scottish Symphony
Alun Francis

Fasten your emotional seatbelts my friend. :)

Sergeant Rock

Sibelius, the Wood-Nymph op.15 and the Lemminkäinen Suite op.22, Vänskä and the Lahti SO

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 20, 2007, 04:34:07 AM
Sibelius, the Wood-Nymph op.15 and the Lemminkäinen Suite op.22, Vänskä and the Lahti SO

Sarge

Quote from: longears on September 20, 2007, 05:25:17 AM

Terrific - I can download these from eMusic as part of my monthly subscription. :)