What were you listening to? (CLOSED)

Started by Maciek, April 06, 2007, 02:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

val

LULLY:    Atys, opera   / Les Arts Florissants, Christie  (Harmonia Mundi)

This is perhaps Lully's best opera. The Prologue is splendid with the colors of the instruments, the rhythm. The first two acts, however, are heavy with the kind of rhetoric declamation that Lully introduced in French vocal music.

But the opera has extraordinary moments: the scene of the Sleep, in the 3rd act, is a model followeed by many compsers (Rameau, Purcell), and the great tragedy of the 5th act, with Atys murdering Sangaride and then killing himself. In this scenes Lully is at the level of Monteverdi.

The interpreters are just acceptable, except the very touching Agnes Mellon in Sangaride and Bernard Deletré, irresistible comedian in the role of the God of the River.

Que

Quote from: val on October 13, 2007, 12:14:15 AM
LULLY:    Atys, opera   / Les Arts Florissants, Christie  (Harmonia Mundi)

This is perhaps Lully's best opera. The Prologue is splendid with the colors of the instruments, the rhythm. The first two acts, however, are heavy with the kind of rhetoric declamation that Lully introduced in French vocal music.

But the opera has extraordinary moments: the scene of the Sleep, in the 3rd act, is a model followeed by many compsers (Rameau, Purcell), and the great tragedy of the 5th act, with Atys murdering Sangaride and then killing himself. In this scenes Lully is at the level of Monteverdi.

The interpreters are just acceptable, except the very touching Agnes Mellon in Sangaride and Bernard Deletré, irresistible comedian in the role of the God of the River.

Thanks for that Val! :)
I believe this is still the only recording available, but considering the rising interest in baroque opera it surely won't be long before we get alternatives.

Q

Que

Que

Haffner

johnQpublic

Gliere - Overture to "Gyul'sara (Sinaisky/Chandos)
Myaskovsky - Symphony #21 (Nikolayev/Audiophile Classics)
Markevitch - Sinfonietta in F (Lyndon-Gee/Marco Polo)
Shostakovich - Suite from "Katerina Ismailova" (Jarvi/Chandos)

Kullervo

Last night: Borodin - Piano Quintet (New Budapest Quartet/Ilona Prunyi, piano)

Elgar - Violin Concerto (Groves/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic/Hugh Bean, violin)

longears

Harry

Quote from: longears on October 13, 2007, 05:33:36 AM

A favorite. 

The beautiful woman, or the music, or maybe even both........ :)

locrian

Rossini: Complete Works for Piano, vol. 1 - Paolo Giacometti

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on October 13, 2007, 07:53:51 AM

Q

That looks like a very old E flat my friend!, if you ask me. ;D

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

longears

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 05:42:59 AM

She's a wonderful violinist (and a beautiful woman), the music is smashing, and the recorded performance is first-rate!

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 07:57:38 AM
That looks like a very old E flat my friend!, if you ask me. ;D

All recordings by Columbia made in 1941 (Dvorak) and 1942 (Mozart, Schumann). ;D
Recorded just before the American Federation of Musicians succeeded in getting a recording ban imposed (Note that all members of the Quartet fled Hitler's Germany and that violist Karl Doktor was Jewish... :-\)

Quote from: Bogey on October 13, 2007, 07:58:11 AM
That looks like a beauty.  How's the transfer Q?

Splendid. :)

Q

sidoze

Quote from: George on October 13, 2007, 05:29:50 AM

did you find this from a marketplace seller? definitely a keeper, though IMO the 5th sonata in Prague is more intense and his smaller pieces don't come close to Sofronitsky or Zhukov

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 05:42:59 AM

So, is testosterone necessary to understand this music? I ask only for information . . . .