Wand's Beethoven Cycle

Started by hornteacher, May 15, 2007, 03:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

Can someone who has heard this cycle comment on the good/bad aspects of the cycle?  I own the CD of the 9th and enjoy it very much but was considering getting the entire set.

George

Quote from: hornteacher on May 15, 2007, 03:15:38 AM
Can someone who has heard this cycle comment on the good/bad aspects of the cycle?  I own the CD of the 9th and enjoy it very much but was considering getting the entire set.

I got that one awhile back, but have only gone once through the cycle. I certainly enjoyed it, but couldn't say anything more specific about it. I have the same performances, just with different packaging. FWIW, I can also say that M Forever liked this one.

Here's a fairly extensive review.

and

This discussion was helpful to me in choosing my copy. Just scroll up for the beginning of the discussion.

:)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: hornteacher on May 15, 2007, 03:15:38 AM

I also own his 9th and, like you, enjoy it very much. I have had that LvB set on my want list for some time now as it seems to be very well-received. He has a Brahms and a Schubert set as well--also on my want list. Wand is perfect for this repertoire.

PerfectWagnerite

If you don't already have Barenboim I think Wand is a great set. Both are old-school (well in the modern sense, certainly nothing like Klemperer). This means while they employ a big fat Teutonic sound they don't indulge in the numerous tempi and dynamic fluctuations that Klemperer did (very convincingly BTW). I doubt you will need another modern set if you have Wand or Barenboim but knock yourself out ;)

hornteacher

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 05:27:05 AM
I got that one awhile back, but have only gone once through the cycle. I certainly enjoyed it, but couldn't say anything more specific about it. I have the same performances, just with different packaging. FWIW, I can also say that M Forever liked this one.

Here's a fairly extensive review.

and

This discussion was helpful to me in choosing my copy. Just scroll up for the beginning of the discussion.

:)

Excellent, thank you.

Rabin_Fan

Wand is very level-headed. I have his live 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 & studio 7 and 9. On the more "angry-sounding" symphonies (e.g. 3 and 5 say, he is less "angry and ferocious" unlike Karajan in 3 & 5 and C Kleiber in 5). The rest are very fine versions - no added personal musicality - just plain Beethoven's great music is heard. The studio and live recordings are very fine in sound - correct depth, balance, sonority, resonance, etc.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Rabin_Fan on May 15, 2007, 03:11:19 PM
Wand is very level-headed. I have his live 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 & studio 7 and 9. On the more "angry-sounding" symphonies (e.g. 3 and 5 say, he is less "angry and ferocious" unlike Karajan in 3 & 5 and C Kleiber in 5). The rest are very fine versions - no added personal musicality - just plain Beethoven's great music is heard. The studio and live recordings are very fine in sound - correct depth, balance, sonority, resonance, etc.

Agreed. Very enjoyable set.