Albinoni, Tomaso - The Other Venetian!

Started by SonicMan46, September 12, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Just looking over my Albinoni collection - there seems to be another Op. 10 recording available w/ Simon Standage on one disc (of the 12 works, Nos. 4 & 6 are missing vs. the 2-disc older set w/ Piero Toso and I Solisti Veneti, both shown below) - the Standage is available at a slight discount or as a DL at PrestoClassical - owning the other Standage Albinoni recordings, I suspect an enjoyable performance.  Dave :)

P.S. also available on Spotify, so will likely give the recording a listen!

aligreto

Quote from: 71 dB on April 26, 2020, 07:19:17 AM

These are nice discs. I have had them ~20 years.  :)

I am pleased that you too enjoy them.

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on April 26, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
My first exposure to Albinoni was an old Musical Heritage Society Lp:

Pre-HIP string playing, of course, but I still have a soft spot for it.

If I saw that LP while I was out shopping I would buy it.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 26, 2020, 08:46:09 AM
Just looking over my Albinoni collection - there seems to be another Op. 10 recording available w/ Simon Standage on one disc (of the 12 works, Nos. 4 & 6 are missing vs. the 2-disc older set w/ Piero Toso and I Solisti Veneti, both shown below) - the Standage is available at a slight discount or as a DL at PrestoClassical - owning the other Standage Albinoni recordings, I suspect an enjoyable performance.  Dave :)

P.S. also available on Spotify, so will likely give the recording a listen!

I have no Op. 10 in my collection Dave, so I might investigate that Scimone set as I am one of those who like complete sets.

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on April 26, 2020, 08:52:26 AM
I have no Op. 10 in my collection Dave, so I might investigate that Scimone set as I am one of those who like complete sets.

Hi Aligreto - the Scimone Op. 10 recording dates from 1979 and was done in a villa in Italy - I've attached some reviews and one complained of a mild reverberant acoustic which seem complemented by another reviewer - HA!  :laugh: Bottom line - recommended, and now going 'cheap' on the Amazon MP USA!   Dave :)

aligreto

Albinoni: Music for Trumpet and Organ [Schultz/Overduin]

Here is another CD of instrumental music that may be of interest to those who like the Organ/Trumpet combination. The concertos on this CD are all arranged for those two instruments. This includes a version of my favoured Op. 9/2 above. The arrangement works well for the two outer movements but not for the adagio of this particular work I feel.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 26, 2020, 09:33:24 AM
Hi Aligreto - the Scimone Op. 10 recording dates from 1979 and was done in a villa in Italy - I've attached some reviews and one complained of a mild reverberant acoustic which seem complemented by another reviewer - HA!  :laugh: Bottom line - recommended, and now going 'cheap' on the Amazon MP USA!   Dave :)

Thanks Dave. I have read the attached reviews and I have put the set on my Wish List.

aligreto

Albinoni: Pimpinone [Nitti]

Albinoni was a prolific operatic composer most of which have been apparently lost. Pimpinone is the only opera of his that I have in my collection. The music is light, appealing, charming and engaging.

ritter

Quote from: aligreto on April 28, 2020, 01:42:05 AM
Albinoni: Pimpinone [Nitti]

Albinoni was a prolific operatic composer most of which have been apparently lost. Pimpinone is the only opera of his that I have in my collection. The music is light, appealing, charming and engaging.
I have Pimpinone I this version by Scimone, and agree with your comments. I haven't listened to the Telemann opera of the same title yet.

For some years, the Italia label (owned by Fonit-Cetra) issued some wonderful stuff (baroque, obscure romantic Italian operas, lots of contemporary music), in beautifully produced releases. With the advent of CDs, the label declined very quickly and many of its release were repackaged under the Warner-Fonit imprint (with a more "budget" feel).

aligreto

Quote from: ritter on April 28, 2020, 02:09:16 AM
I have Pimpinone I this version by Scimone, and agree with your comments. I haven't listened to the Telemann opera of the same title yet.

For some years, the Italia label (owned by Fonit-Cetra) issued some wonderful stuff (baroque, obscure romantic Italian operas, lots of contemporary music), in beautifully produced releases. With the advent of CDs, the label declined very quickly and many of its release were repackaged under the Warner-Fonit imprint (with a more "budget" feel).

That is interesting about the Italia label which I did not know of. Thank you for posting it.

Que

Crossposting from the WAYLT thread:

Gorgeous, spirited and idiomatic performances by this Italian ensemble, currently better known under the name "Bozen Baroque Orchestra". And if the performances themselves weren't luxurious enough, this is in beautiful state-of-art recording quality. Recommended!

Q

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2020, 05:45:50 AM
Crossposting from the WAYLT thread:

Gorgeous, spirited and idiomatic performances by this Italian ensemble, currently better known under the name "Bozen Baroque Orchestra". And if the performances themselves weren't luxurious enough, this is complete on two discs in beautiful state-of-art recording quality. Recommended!

Q

Hi Que - I had not see the Astronio recording on Amazon the other day, but just 'popped up' - one disc w/ 4 of the Op. 10 works missing - despite owning the older Scimone 2-disc set, I put in an order to Presto a few days ago and added the Standage recording above (also missing 4 of the Op. 10 works) - I'm sure both of these more modern productions will please.  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 28, 2020, 07:58:11 AM
Hi Que - I had not seen the Astronio recording on Amazon the other day, but just 'popped up' - one disc w/ 4 of the Op. 10 works missing - despite owning the older Scimone 2-disc set, I put in an order to Presto a few days ago and added the Standage recording above (also missing 4 of the Op. 10 works) - I'm sure both of these more modern productions will please.  Dave :)

You're right - one disc, not complete... Thanks for the correction.
I was listening on Spotify, my bad for the misinformation!

Still beautiful performances.  :)

Q

aligreto

Yes, That Astronio version of Op. 10 [even if incomplete] looks very appealing. It also offers the modern production standards as Dave says.

aligreto

Albinoni: Six Cantatas from Op. 4 [sung by Barbara Schlick]

Charming and pleasant music sung and played in an intimate, chamber setting; soprano, harpsichord and 'cello. I know nothing of Albinoni's Op. 4 other than this recording [with a soprano voice, obviously] but I would like to hear the other six cantatas written for the contralto voice.

I have put the L'Arte Dell' Arco CD on order....

aligreto

I was checking something in this thread and I noticed that a relevant post I had made was lost in one of the recent site crashes. For information purposes I am adding it again:

Albinoni: Cantatas for Soprano The Soprano Op. 4 [Frigato/Biscuola]

CD1: Cantatas for Soprano - The Soprano, Silvia Frigato is clear and bright in her delivery.
CD2: Cantatas for Contralto - These Cantatas are somewhat more subdued in tone than the first set. They are, however, very appealing.

The intimate accompaniment is both consistently tasteful and elegant throughout the set.

nimmerfroh

Hello all.  I was looking for an Albinoni discussion group as I am enamored with his works (my favorite composer) and have a few questions and comments regarding his works that I was hoping someone could answer or give insight to.  I am trying to find an inexpensive version of the book by Michael Talbot "Tomaso Albinoni: The Venetian Composer and His World" but until then I am using Wikipedia for Albinoni's composition list.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and have my thoughts on some of the albums mentioned but first a few questions.

1) For Opus 8, the only recordings I can find are the flute versions on amazon by Claudio Ferrarini.  He does cover the entire opus with 2 volumes but after purchasing one song I found the quality to be very sub par in my opinion (sounds hollow) and was recorded too high in some spots where it actually creates distortion.  Has anyone else come across an Opus 8 recording, whether on CD or downloadable online?  I would prefer a violin/harpsichord version but just trying to find this Opus recorded at all is extremely difficult.

2) Outside of his Opuses I have been successful in finding many of his instrumental works but not all.  For example:

"Albinoni: Concerto per violino & Sinfonie a 4" - contains his concertos 1, 2 & 4 and symphonies 2 - 9
    "Albinoni: Sonate da camera" - contains Sonatas 40 - 45
    "Albinoni: Sonate da chiesa" - contains Sonatas 38, 39 and then 26 - 31 which is really just Opus 4, not sure why they did it that way.

I have yet to find Sonatas 2 - 25 and a couple others.  Does anyone know of any recordings of these?  I will include album covers of the ones
    I mentioned above.

bhodges

Hi nimmerfroh, can't help with your Albinoni query, but wanted to welcome you to GMG. (Your first post had to be approved by a moderator; now you're free to post any time.)

--Bruce

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on July 07, 2020, 03:28:46 PM
Hello all.  I was looking for an Albinoni discussion group as I am enamored with his works (my favorite composer) and have a few questions and comments regarding his works that I was hoping someone could answer or give insight to.  I am trying to find an inexpensive version of the book by Michael Talbot "Tomaso Albinoni: The Venetian Composer and His World" but until then I am using Wikipedia for Albinoni's composition list.

I've enjoyed reading this thread and have my thoughts on some of the albums mentioned but first a few questions.

1) For Opus 8, the only recordings I can find are the flute versions on amazon by Claudio Ferrarini.  He does cover the entire opus with 2 volumes but after purchasing one song I found the quality to be very sub par in my opinion (sounds hollow) and was recorded too high in some spots where it actually creates distortion.  Has anyone else come across an Opus 8 recording, whether on CD or downloadable online?  I would prefer a violin/harpsichord version but just trying to find this Opus recorded at all is extremely difficult.

2) Outside of his Opuses I have been successful in finding many of his instrumental works but not all.  For example:

"Albinoni: Concerto per violino & Sinfonie a 4" - contains his concertos 1, 2 & 4 and symphonies 2 - 9
    "Albinoni: Sonate da camera" - contains Sonatas 40 - 45
    "Albinoni: Sonate da chiesa" - contains Sonatas 38, 39 and then 26 - 31 which is really just Opus 4, not sure why they did it that way.

I have yet to find Sonatas 2 - 25 and a couple others.  Does anyone know of any recordings of these?  I will include album covers of the ones
    I mentioned above.

First of all, you are very welcome to this forum nimmerfroh. I hope that you enjoy it here and I look forward to reading your posts. I would be particularly interested in any contributions that you would make to this thread.

Unfortunately, I cannot offer any help in any of you pursuits. Any information that you might want to contribute with regard to your mentioned pursuits above, or indeed any aspect of this composer, will be eagerly consumed.

nimmerfroh

Thanks for the warm welcome aligreto.  I just ordered the Albinoni book from a seller in England so it may take 2 weeks to arrive but I look forward to
seeing the detailed outline of all his compositions.  If I find any noteworthy information I will share or just give you my overall impression of it.

My take on the two Opus 10 CDs discussed in previous threads - yes the I Solisti Veneti one is complete whereas the Simon one is missing a few, presumably to keep it to one disc.  However I get picky in how the music sounds and the Veneti one seems too polished and distant whereas the Simon is more raw and vibrant.  Also the length of songs can be different on each CD.  Take for example one of my favorite tracks:  "No 7, Concerto in F Major, III Allegro".  On Veneti it is around 2 minutes but on Simon it is around 2:45.  That's an extra 45 seconds of one of the best tracks so I'm very happy to have the longer track (and better sounding one in my opinion).  I should go back and listen to the omitted ones again to make sure I'm not missing something magical. 

I agree with everyone on the Opus 9, No 2 Adagio.  That is one incredible piece and I am not one to usually praise the Adagios.

A quick word on the Concerto and Symphonies CD (that are not part of any opus).  I find this disc to be very enjoyable, both the music and sound.  What I didn't enjoy as much was the collection of Sonatas 38 - 45.  It felt lacking overall but hey it's still Albinoni. 

Lastly, the one song I downloaded and kept from the sparse Opus 8 findings is "Op 8, No 4, Balletto in B Flat Major, II Allegro".  It's a little long for the same pattern that repeats throughout but still enjoyable.