Albinoni, Tomaso - The Other Venetian!

Started by SonicMan46, September 12, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on July 08, 2020, 03:05:42 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome aligreto.  I just ordered the Albinoni book from a seller in England so it may take 2 weeks to arrive but I look forward to
seeing the detailed outline of all his compositions.  If I find any noteworthy information I will share or just give you my overall impression of it.

My take on the two Opus 10 CDs discussed in previous threads - yes the I Solisti Veneti one is complete whereas the Simon one is missing a few, presumably to keep it to one disc.  However I get picky in how the music sounds and the Veneti one seems too polished and distant whereas the Simon is more raw and vibrant.  Also the length of songs can be different on each CD.  Take for example one of my favorite tracks:  "No 7, Concerto in F Major, III Allegro".  On Veneti it is around 2 minutes but on Simon it is around 2:45.  That's an extra 45 seconds of one of the best tracks so I'm very happy to have the longer track (and better sounding one in my opinion).  I should go back and listen to the omitted ones again to make sure I'm not missing something magical. 

I agree with everyone on the Opus 9, No 2 Adagio.  That is one incredible piece and I am not one to usually praise the Adagios.

A quick word on the Concerto and Symphonies CD (that are not part of any opus).  I find this disc to be very enjoyable, both the music and sound.  What I didn't enjoy as much was the collection of Sonatas 38 - 45.  It felt lacking overall but hey it's still Albinoni. 

Lastly, the one song I downloaded and kept from the sparse Opus 8 findings is "Op 8, No 4, Balletto in B Flat Major, II Allegro".  It's a little long for the same pattern that repeats throughout but still enjoyable.

Thank you for your considered response.
I would be very interested in your impressions on the book when you eventually do receive it and get around to listening to it.

More importantly, please keep posting. I feel that I could learn a lot from you.  :)

nimmerfroh

I posted Albinoni's Sonatas (38 - 45) on youtube.  Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GI8UhjIaw

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on July 11, 2020, 08:27:34 AM
I posted Albinoni's Sonatas (38 - 45) on youtube.  Here's a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2GI8UhjIaw

Thank you for the link. I have bookmarked it for listening later.

aligreto

Albinoni: Sonatas 38-45 Colombo/Rossi

https://www.youtube.com/v/N2GI8UhjIaw

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to both this music and these performances. The music is always engaging and interesting and I think that the musicians have the measure of the music.

nimmerfroh

Adding another link to more of Albinoni's compositions on youtube.  This time it's for Sonatas 1 - 7 and 32 - 34. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3na_1iSVWBU

I received the book and so far it's absolutely great.  What I like to do is read through the author's description of each composition as I play the composition itself simultaneously.  The catalog listed on Wiki comes directly from the book with very few discrepancies.  There are some sonatas that I just can't find being performed but I suppose that's to be expected for a composer that is not extremely popular.  I will always keep searching and will continue reading. 

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on July 18, 2020, 04:11:23 PM
Adding another link to more of Albinoni's compositions on youtube.  This time it's for Sonatas 1 - 7 and 32 - 34. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3na_1iSVWBU

I received the book and so far it's absolutely great.  What I like to do is read through the author's description of each composition as I play the composition itself simultaneously.  The catalog listed on Wiki comes directly from the book with very few discrepancies.  There are some sonatas that I just can't find being performed but I suppose that's to be expected for a composer that is not extremely popular.  I will always keep searching and will continue reading.

Thank you for the update. It is relieving that the book did ultimately live up to its expectations for you. Thank you for the additional link. I will investigate.

aligreto

Albinoni: Sonatas Nos. 1-7, 32-34 

https://www.youtube.com/v/3na_1iSVWBU

This is, for me, very fine music that is well played in a full sound. Thanks again for the link, nimmerfroh; most enjoyable.

nimmerfroh

You're welcome.  My absolute favorite from this grouping is:

So 32, Sonata in B-Flat Major, II. Allegro

I can't hear that enough, it's just pure bliss.

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 02, 2020, 12:29:29 PM
You're welcome.  My absolute favorite from this grouping is:

So 32, Sonata in B-Flat Major, II. Allegro

I can't hear that enough, it's just pure bliss.

I was very impressed overall with that set I must say. I was great to have had the opportunity of hearing it.

aligreto

Albinoni: 12 Concertos Op. 10 [Scimone]

I finally got around to purchasing the above. Others have posted it before but I have not heard it until now.

The first thing one notices here from the very beginning is the big sound; it is very full, non HIP and has a big presence, if slightly a little thin on the recorded side [if that makes sense]. Carmignola plays very well, with verve and enthusiasm. The performances are well paced throughout; suitably lively and taut in the outer movements and with refinement, poise and elegance in the slow movements even if I find them a tad on the saccharine side.

nimmerfroh

Glad you enjoyed the CD.  My favorites are:

No 7, Concerto in F Major, III Allegro
No 11, Concerto in C Major, I Allegro

I will say the advantage of this specific CD is that it contains the complete works for opus 10.  The other 2 versions pick and choose so that it can all be contained on one CD.  The disadvantage to me is what you pointed out, the "thin" recording of it.  I prefer the sound on the 2 other CDs but then I miss out on No 6 & No 10.  And as noted before No 7, III Allegro is shorter in duration than on the other 2 CDs which is very odd to me.  Since this is a 2 CD collection, surely they had room to include the full version.  Not exactly sure how that works. 

I was able to purchase No 6 & No 10 from this CD online to complete my collection however No 6, I Allegro & III Allegro were cut off so I don't have the complete versions of them.  I cannot find them anywhere individually online without having to purchase the entire CD.  I will keep searching. 

I enjoyed your review of the CD and glad you decided to purchase it.

aligreto

Cheers nimmerfroh. Not having Op. 10 in my collection at all I opted for the Scimone simply because it was complete. I knew what to expect in terms of presentation so I have no issue with that. I may purchase one or two of the one CD incomplete versions also. However, perhaps one day someone will issue a new HIP complete version but I will not hold my breath whilst awaiting it.

nimmerfroh

The important part is that you have it, congrats!  Now if someone would just perform Opus 8 with that standard violin set up, I would be thrilled. 

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on August 23, 2020, 02:30:05 AM
Albinoni: 12 Concertos Op. 10 [Scimone]

I finally got around to purchasing the above. Others have posted it before but I have not heard it until now.

The first thing one notices here from the very beginning is the big sound; it is very full, non HIP and has a big presence, if slightly a little thin on the recorded side [if that makes sense]. Carmignola plays very well, with verve and enthusiasm. The performances are well paced throughout; suitably lively and taut in the outer movements and with refinement, poise and elegance in the slow movements even if I find them a tad on the saccharine side.

Great Aligreto - glad that you like the performances!  After seeing your post, I listened to the first disc of Scimone followed by the Standage recording of 8 of 12 works - prefer the sound of the latter ever so slightly - the older recording stands up well!  Believe that I posted some reviews of each previously from Fanfare where both offerings were similarly recommended.  Dave :)

SonicMan46

Yet some more confusion with Albinoni's 'named' Opus collections - now listening to the Hyperion Dyad below of the Op. 4 & Op. 6 'sonatas' - attached is a portion of the booklet notes describing the pseudo-Op. 4 Sonate da chiesa - in reviewing a list of Albinoni's compositions HERE, Opus 4 is missing from the listing of works w/ Opus numbers - I've inserted the 'pseudo' Op. 4 between 3 & 5 - HOWEVER, this is an excellent performance by the Locatelli Trio (review attached for those interested).

NOW, I noticed in the listing Op. 3: 12 Balletti a tre (for 2 violins and basso continuo), Venice 1701 - I do not have any recordings of this set and cannot find any on Amazon USA (have not looked elsewhere); thus, Op. 3 & Op. 8 seem to be 'missing'?  Dave :)

nimmerfroh

Opus 3 is available, will provide 2 links, much more reasonable on Presto than Amazon.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Balletti-Tre-Op-111-Albinoni-2006-03-02/dp/B01K8O1SKS/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=albinoni+op+3&qid=1598203828&sr=8-11

Presto
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8287643--albinoni-balletti-a-3-op-3

The Presto version can be purchased online.  I enjoy opus 3 as much as 1 and 2.  They all follow a similar style.  My favorites from 3 (the above mentioned CD):

Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, I Largo
Op 3, No 1, Balletto in C Major, IV Presto
Op 3, No 3, Balletto in G Major, III Allegro
Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, IV Allegro

SonicMan46

Thanks for the links to Op. 3 - looks like a Presto DL is the best option!   ;D   Dave

ADDENDUM: Well, I'm listening to the recording below off Spotify (to my stereo/den speakers) - finding the 'bass' somewhat thin and the strings 'bright', likely an issue w/ the recording engineering - attached 2 reviews, both with similar complaints - the music is wonderful but would love to hear another group's performance w/ the production done by a major label - just my 2 cents, but worth a listen for Albinoni fans!  Dave

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 23, 2020, 09:02:23 AM

Great Aligreto - glad that you like the performances!  After seeing your post, I listened to the first disc of Scimone followed by the Standage recording of 8 of 12 works - prefer the sound of the latter ever so slightly - the older recording stands up well!  Believe that I posted some reviews of each previously from Fanfare where both offerings were similarly recommended.  Dave :)

Cheers, Dave. I will consider that Standage CD that you have mentioned once or twice before.

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 23, 2020, 09:35:45 AM
Opus 3 is available, will provide 2 links, much more reasonable on Presto than Amazon.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Balletti-Tre-Op-111-Albinoni-2006-03-02/dp/B01K8O1SKS/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=albinoni+op+3&qid=1598203828&sr=8-11

Presto
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8287643--albinoni-balletti-a-3-op-3

The Presto version can be purchased online.  I enjoy opus 3 as much as 1 and 2.  They all follow a similar style.  My favorites from 3 (the above mentioned CD):

Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, I Largo
Op 3, No 1, Balletto in C Major, IV Presto
Op 3, No 3, Balletto in G Major, III Allegro
Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, IV Allegro

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 23, 2020, 10:22:52 AM
Thanks for the links to Op. 3 - looks like a Presto DL is the best option!   ;D   Dave

ADDENDUM: Well, I'm listening to the recording below off Spotify (to my stereo/den speakers) - finding the 'bass' somewhat thin and the strings 'bright', likely an issue w/ the recording engineering - attached 2 reviews, both with similar complaints - the music is wonderful but would love to hear another group's performance w/ the production done by a major label - just my 2 cents, but worth a listen for Albinoni fans!  Dave

Thank you guys for the information. Op. 3 has been elusive for me [read very expensive] to buy as a CD but I will continue to search in hope.

nimmerfroh

I should have included this link on amazon for the opus 3 CD instead.  I bought it for $16.99 and it still appears to be the same price.  Ebay has also been a good source for reasonably priced Albinoni CDs. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GIWU6S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To address SonicMan46's man quality issue.  I am not very good at explaining the subtle intricacies of music quality when it comes to classical music.  I can only go with what sounds good to my ears.  The Opus 3 CD sounded good to me.  I don't have another version to compare to but was very satisfied with the sound of it when I compare it to the Opus 1 CD I have (brilliant classics).  To me they sounded similar in quality.  I guess I don't have too many complaints when it comes to a 3 part piece.  Where I start to notice more of a difference is in the larger part Opuses like 5, 7, 9 & 10.  The newer recordings tend to sound distinctly better to me, more crisp and vibrant instead of a thinner, homogenized sound.

One last mention for Opus 8.  I tried to listen to pieces from the version available on amazon (and youtube) but because they are recorded for flute as the primary instrument, I found it difficult to enjoy.  And here is where the sound quality really played a role.  The recordings are very bad in my opinion.  Not only are they hollow but many actually have distortion because they were recorded to high (into the red).  Taking all that into account, I have held off on listening to the complete collection but at some point I will do it just because it's Albinoni.