Albinoni, Tomaso - The Other Venetian!

Started by SonicMan46, September 12, 2008, 10:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

This one is bothering me as I had a niggling thought somewhere in the back of my mind that I had it in my collection. It now appears that is definitely not the case.......or have I misplaced it?  ::)

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 23, 2020, 01:42:59 PM

One last mention for Opus 8.  I tried to listen to pieces from the version available on amazon (and youtube) but because they are recorded for flute as the primary instrument, I found it difficult to enjoy.  And here is where the sound quality really played a role.  The recordings are very bad in my opinion.  Not only are they hollow but many actually have distortion because they were recorded to high (into the red).  Taking all that into account, I have held off on listening to the complete collection but at some point I will do it just because it's Albinoni.

I have not checked that but it is too bad.

nimmerfroh

I just purchased the Opus 8 version from amazon.  Once I get it all together I will put it out on youtube.  It's a little iffy though.  By that I mean it came in two volumes and the first volume seems to be labeled correctly between the sonatas and suites but the second volume looks a little off.  I will do my best to straighten it all out. 

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 26, 2020, 08:27:04 AM
I just purchased the Opus 8 version from amazon.  Once I get it all together I will put it out on youtube.  It's a little iffy though.  By that I mean it came in two volumes and the first volume seems to be labeled correctly between the sonatas and suites but the second volume looks a little off.  I will do my best to straighten it all out.

Looking forward to it, cheers.

vers la flamme

Where's a good place to start with Albinoni? I'm getting back into Baroque music lately, but I haven't heard a single note of this composer.

nimmerfroh

I can give you a list of my 25 favorites that span his 10 opuses including 2 non-opus works.  His early works (opuses 1 - 3) are reminiscent of Corelli and early Vivaldi.  Opuses 5, 7 & 9 are fuller concertos with the latter 2 including an oboe.  Then he has a plethora of non-opus works that span his career.   For the non-opus works, the Concerti/Sinfonie CD (link provided below) is very good in my opinion.  I'm sure others can chime in also.

https://www.amazon.com/Tomaso-Albinoni-Concerti-Sinfonie-Fabrizio/dp/B00005Q470/ref=sr_1_28?dchild=1&keywords=albinoni+sinfonie&qid=1598571485&sr=8-28

25 favorites from opuses 1 - 10 (with 2 non opus works, #19 & #20).  #20 is my favorite at the moment with #12 a close second.

01 - Op 1, No 1, Sonata in D Minor, IV Allegro
02 - Op 1, No 4, Sonata in G Minor, II Allegro
03 - Op 1, No 6, Sonata in A Minor, II Allegro
04 - Op 2, No 4, Sonata in C Minor, IV Allegro
05 - Op 2, No 6, Sonata in G Minor, II Allegro
06 - Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, I Largo
07 - Op 3, No 1, Balletto in C Major, IV Presto
08 - Op 3, No 3, Balletto in G Major, III Allegro
09 - Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, IV Allegro
10 - Op 4, No 6, Sonata in B Minor, IV Allegro
11 - Op 5, No 11, Concerto in G Minor, II Adagio
12 - Op 5, No 3, Concerto in D, III Allegro
13 - Op 5, No 4, Concerto in G, I Allegro
14 - Op 5, No 12, Concerto in C, III Allegro
15 - Op 6, No 4, Sonata in D Minor, IV Allegro
16 - Op 6, No 4, Sonata in D Minor, III Adagio
17 - Op 7, No 9, Concerto in F Major, I Allegro
18 - Op 7, No 11, Concerto in C Major, I Allegro
19 - So 38, Sonata in A Major, II Allegro
20 - So 32, Sonata in B-Flat Major, II. Allegro
21 - Op 9, No 4, Concerto in A, III Allegro
22 - Op 9, No 2, Concerto in D Minor, III Allegro
23 - Op 9, No 2, Concerto in D Minor, II  Adagio
24 - Op 10, No 11, Concerto in C Major, I Allegro
25 - Op 10, No 7, Concerto in F Major, III Allegro

nimmerfroh

Here's a link to Albinoni: Opus 8 on youtube.  This is taking me awhile to digest as my mind has a mental block when it comes to Flute vs. Violin  :-\

https://youtu.be/hjMKCLeKqK8

I believe all 10 Opuses are available now in some kind of instrument configuration. 

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 27, 2020, 03:09:58 PM
Where's a good place to start with Albinoni? I'm getting back into Baroque music lately, but I haven't heard a single note of this composer.

I would recommend the Naxos CDs listed earlier here to start with. Wonderful music is contained therein. If those samples appeal then I would consult the detailed list from mimmerfroh

Quote01 - Op 1, No 1, Sonata in D Minor, IV Allegro
02 - Op 1, No 4, Sonata in G Minor, II Allegro
03 - Op 1, No 6, Sonata in A Minor, II Allegro
04 - Op 2, No 4, Sonata in C Minor, IV Allegro
05 - Op 2, No 6, Sonata in G Minor, II Allegro
06 - Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, I Largo
07 - Op 3, No 1, Balletto in C Major, IV Presto
08 - Op 3, No 3, Balletto in G Major, III Allegro
09 - Op 3, No 7, Balletto in D Major, IV Allegro
10 - Op 4, No 6, Sonata in B Minor, IV Allegro
11 - Op 5, No 11, Concerto in G Minor, II Adagio
12 - Op 5, No 3, Concerto in D, III Allegro
13 - Op 5, No 4, Concerto in G, I Allegro
14 - Op 5, No 12, Concerto in C, III Allegro
15 - Op 6, No 4, Sonata in D Minor, IV Allegro
16 - Op 6, No 4, Sonata in D Minor, III Adagio
17 - Op 7, No 9, Concerto in F Major, I Allegro
18 - Op 7, No 11, Concerto in C Major, I Allegro
19 - So 38, Sonata in A Major, II Allegro
20 - So 32, Sonata in B-Flat Major, II. Allegro
21 - Op 9, No 4, Concerto in A, III Allegro
22 - Op 9, No 2, Concerto in D Minor, III Allegro
23 - Op 9, No 2, Concerto in D Minor, II  Adagio
24 - Op 10, No 11, Concerto in C Major, I Allegro
25 - Op 10, No 7, Concerto in F Major, III Allegro

taking, again, recommendations from previous posts here.

Happy Listening.

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 27, 2020, 11:31:33 PM
Here's a link to Albinoni: Opus 8 on youtube.  This is taking me awhile to digest as my mind has a mental block when it comes to Flute vs. Violin  :-\

https://youtu.be/hjMKCLeKqK8

I believe all 10 Opuses are available now in some kind of instrument configuration.

Thank you for the effort and also for posting the link. I have bookmarked it for later listening. I am wondering about that flute, but it is better than nothing.

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 27, 2020, 11:31:33 PM

https://www.youtube.com/v/hjMKCLeKqK8&feature=youtu.be

I really liked this music. I thought that it was most engaging and captivating. I thought that the interplay of the different voices was masterful. The writing is of the highest standard for me and it demonstrates all that is good in Albinoni's music. It is fluidly melodic, elegant, exciting and very inventive. The quality of both the counterpoint and harmonies kept me continually attentive and engaged.

The choice of flute as the main voice did not bother me. I think that its breathy resonance somehow enhances the inherent charm and flow of the music. I enjoyed the entire ensemble playing. I think that they play very well individually and they also blend very well to give a coherent and integrated presentation.

It was a joy to listen to and thank you very much for taking the time and making the effort to make it available to us.

SonicMan46

Just left the post below in the 'Listening Thread' - listening to both recordings as a Spotify playlist on my den speakers, and also enjoying - the flute is really 'up front' w/ the other players sometimes fading into the background - any information (booklet notes or other) on the use of the flute in these presumably '2 Violins + BC' compositions?  And are there any recorded versions in which 2 violins are used?  Thanks all - Dave :)

QuoteAlbinoni, Tomaso - Sonate & Trio Sonate, Op. 8 w/ Claudio Ferrarini on flute and Accademia Farnese - Spotify playlist stimulated by the 'Albinoni Thread' which has come alive in recent weeks!  In Albinoni's List of Compositions, the Op. 8 works are shown below scored for 2 violins + BC - the flute presumably was/is an alternate transcription instrument, but the booklet notes are not available to me to check - would be curious.  Dave :)

nimmerfroh

I just tried to post a message including 2 pdf files (the digital booklets that came with the Opus 8 recording) but for some reason the post did not show up.  Does anyone know if there is a waiting/review period on posts when including attachments such as pdfs?

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 30, 2020, 07:26:28 AM
Just left the post below in the 'Listening Thread' - listening to both recordings as a Spotify playlist on my den speakers, and also enjoying - the flute is really 'up front' w/ the other players sometimes fading into the background - any information (booklet notes or other) on the use of the flute in these presumably '2 Violins + BC' compositions?  And are there any recorded versions in which 2 violins are used?  Thanks all - Dave :)

I am glad that you also enjoyed it Dave.   :)

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 30, 2020, 08:26:56 AM
I just tried to post a message including 2 pdf files (the digital booklets that came with the Opus 8 recording) but for some reason the post did not show up.  Does anyone know if there is a waiting/review period on posts when including attachments such as pdfs?

I am not sure if a PDF will post as an image. Perhaps change the format to JPG and try that.

nimmerfroh

Trying again with the PDFs first.  Doing one at a time.
Thank you both for your responses.  Each recording did come with a digital booklet and from what I can see they are exact copies or almost exact copies.  I will include both as attachments.  I did not read them word for word but oddly enough I saw no mention of Opus 8 but rather an overview of Albinoni and his contemporaries of the time.  If anyone finds some interesting nuggets of information, feel free to share.

One note when listening to these on Spotify, both recordings contain half of Albinoni's Opus 8 and half of some other flute sonatas labeled "Dal Libro Palatina di Parma" which translates to "From the Palatine Book of Parma".  I don't know what that refers to but in my link to Opus 8 on youtube I stripped off the non-Opus flute sonatas so that only the Opus 8 pieces remain. 

This is the only version of Opus 8 I can find.  I wish a proper 2 violin version existed but at the moment it appears we only have the Flute version. 

nimmerfroh

2nd PDF.  This seems to work, splitting the files into 2 posts.  Maybe I exceeded the limit using a single post.

SonicMan46

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 30, 2020, 08:36:29 AM
Trying again with the PDFs first.  Doing one at a time.
Thank you both for your responses.  Each recording did come with a digital booklet and from what I can see they are exact copies or almost exact copies.  I will include both as attachments.  I did not read them word for word but oddly enough I saw no mention of Opus 8 but rather an overview of Albinoni and his contemporaries of the time.  If anyone finds some interesting nuggets of information, feel free to share.

One note when listening to these on Spotify, both recordings contain half of Albinoni's Opus 8 and half of some other flute sonatas labeled "Dal Libro Palatina di Parma" which translates to "From the Palatine Book of Parma".  I don't know what that refers to but in my link to Opus 8 on youtube I stripped off the non-Opus flute sonatas so that only the Opus 8 pieces remain. 

This is the only version of Opus 8 I can find.  I wish a proper 2 violin version existed but at the moment it appears we only have the Flute version.

Hello and thanks for the PDF files (looking at the attachment allowances, 500KB is max whether one or four - each PDF is 315KB, so the reason that both could not be attached to one post) - agree w/ your comments completely, i.e. seem to be identical booklets w/ nothing mentioned of Op. 8, comments from the flutist, or discussion of using transcription instruments unfortunately. 

Also, looking at my Spotify playlist, there are a bunch of 'Flute Sonatas' as you described above; plus, the total timing is 3 hr 12 mins which would need 3 CDs for the recordings - interesting collection just would like some more information.  Dave

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 30, 2020, 08:38:29 AM
2nd PDF.  This seems to work, splitting the files into 2 posts. 

Thanks for posting. I thought at first that you had posted the same thing twice by mistake  :)

nimmerfroh

Maybe that is why these recordings and Opus 8 in general remain elusive from a listener/discussion perspective:

- no additional information is provided on the performance & instruments
- added confusion by mixing Opus and non-Opus pieces together
- using alternate instruments for the performance
- availability missing from some classical outlets (ex. I cannot find this on Prestomusic.com)
- track listing on volume II does not separate out the sonatas from suites as volume I does

On that last item, I had to rename some of the recordings on volume II.  I can't say it's 100% correct however based on the pattern in volume I and also by listening to the key change and matching it up to the Wiki list, I believe it's close.  I'll give an example below:

First 6 tracks on volume II are listed as follows (this is the same on amazon and spotify):

1   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, op. 8 volume secondo: Sonata n. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: I. Grave, adagio   2:32
  2   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, Op. 8, Vol. II: Sonata no. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: II. Allegro   6:48
  3   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, Op. 8, Vol. II: Sonata no. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: III. Larghetto   3:31
  4   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, Op. 8, Vol. II: Sonata no. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: IV. Allegro   2:38
  5   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, Op. 8, Vol. II: Sonata no. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: V. Allemande, larghetto   3:08
  6   6 Balletti e 6 Sonate a tre, Op. 8, Vol. II: Sonata no. 4 in si bemolle maggiore: VI. Giga, sarabanda, allegro, giga

This is 4th Sonata/Suite grouping which if you look on Wiki should represent this:

Sonata No. 4 in G minor
  Balletto No. 4 in B-flat major  (Balletto is akin to Suite in these pieces)

However you'll notice everything is labeled as Sonata no. 4.  On volume I they have it correctly labeled usually as a 4 part sonata first and then a 2 part suite with different key signatures to represent the correct Sonata/Suite grouping.  Knowing that pattern on volume I and then looking at the Wiki entry, I was able to identify that the last 2 pieces above are the Suite from the 4th grouping in B-flat major.  I made similar changes for the 5th and 6th groupings as well.

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to point out another reason why this collection of Opus 8 is confusing and may lead to this being overlooked in some aspect.

aligreto

Quote from: nimmerfroh on August 30, 2020, 01:20:18 PM

Sorry for the long post but just wanted to point out another reason why this collection of Opus 8 is confusing and may lead to this being overlooked in some aspect.

No need for apologies here. That is great information and, once again, your efforts are appreciated.
It is a pity that there is so much confusion as the music itself is so wonderful.