Remastered Karajan Aida on Decca

Started by George, May 15, 2007, 05:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George

Anyone know if this one includes the libretto? Also, in the future, how can I tell if a release has the libretto if its not labelled?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 05:14:52 AM
Anyone know if this one includes the libretto? Also, in the future, how can I tell if a release has the libretto if its not labelled?

Ah, my favorite Aida. I have it in this 1999 incarnation:

It did come with a libretto. I don't know about the box you're contemplating but I can't believe they wouldn't include one. I've been known to be wrong though ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

George

Thanks Sarge, I had both of them in hand over the weekend. The one you have indeed said that it had the libretto, mine didn't.  :-\

To make matters worse, its my first Aida and I have the day off and I am dying to hear it.  >:(

karlhenning

Drasko

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 05:31:20 AM
Thanks Sarge, I had both of them in hand over the weekend.

Well, this might sound silly but couldn't you tell by the weight?

George

Quote from: Drasko on May 15, 2007, 05:54:21 AM
Well, this might sound silly but couldn't you tell by the weight?

I am an opera newbie, so no. The CD case is clear and the book looks thick, but I have seen books that look that thick that weren't librettos.  :-\

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 05:14:52 AM

I think that entire series(ORIGINAL MASTERS) has the libretti (original language plus English). I have quite a few of them like Kleiber's Tristan, Britten's War Requiem, etc.. The actual book is made of MUCH cheaper material than the original. The original is nice glossy paper, the remastered version is cheap paper that feels more more toilet paper and will fall apart faster than you can say hey.

The LEGEND series, like this one:

has no libretti.

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 06:15:50 AM
I think that entire series(ORIGINAL MASTERS) has the libretti (original language plus English). I have quite a few of them like Kleiber's Tristan, Britten's War Requiem, etc.. The actual book is made of MUCH cheaper material than the original. The original is nice glossy paper, the remastered version is cheap paper that feels more more toilet paper and will fall apart faster than you can say hey.

The LEGEND series, like this one:

has no libretti.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Sarge reported (and the CD case confirms) that the Legends issue does have the libretti. Perhaps the others in the series don't, but then again, my Dido and Aeneas/Baker on Legends also has the libretto.  :-\

Wendell_E

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 06:19:27 AM
Now I'm thoroughly confused. Sarge reported (and the CD case confirms) that the Legends issue does have the libretti. Perhaps the others in the series don't, but then again, my Dido and Aeneas/Baker on Legends also has the libretto.  :-\

I've got Erich Kleiber's Decca recording Rosenkavalier on Legends, and it does have a libretto.

Drasko

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 06:15:50 AM

I have Tristan and Salome in The Originals series and libretti are made of nice glossy paper and I cannot foresee any falling apart. Tristan is three-lingual.

karlhenning

And I've got the The Originals Decca reissue of the Britten War Requiem, and the booklet includes the text.

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 15, 2007, 06:28:55 AM
And I've got the The Originals Decca reissue of the Britten War Requiem, and the booklet includes the text.

I just opened it. It indeed has the libretto in English and the original. And yes, the paper is thin. Not Bible thin, but close. Thanks, guys!  :)

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Drasko on May 15, 2007, 06:28:30 AM
I have Tristan and Salome in The Originals series and libretti are made of nice glossy paper and I cannot foresee any falling apart. Tristan is three-lingual.

My version of Tristan (C. Kleiber) has tissue paper for libretto book ??? I just checked...I think I got a raw deal.

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 06:36:38 AM
My version of Tristan (C. Kleiber) has tissue paper for libretto book ??? I just checked...I think I got a raw deal.

That will be a good CD to bring on your next camping trip.  ;D

marvinbrown

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 06:19:27 AM

George Sarge is correct I have this same recording and it DOES COME with a libretto in English and Italian.  I love this recording by the way.....seems Sarge and I have similar tastes when it comes to opera (both Wagnerians and both great admirers of Verdi's Aida with Renata Tebaldi)

I wonder why PerfectWagnerites' copy has no libretto  ???
  marvin

Michel

Does Karajan really have the right singers, though?

I have recently heard Leontyre Price and she is quite special...

knight66

I don't take to del Monaco, healthy voice, but he tends to sing at forte and above. Tebaldi is excellent and gives an object lesson in musical phrasing. I am not keen on Karajan in this set, some of it is very slow, especially the scenes of pageantry.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 07:18:45 AM
I don't take to del Monaco, healthy voice, but he tends to sing at forte and above. Tebaldi is excellent and gives an object lesson in musical phrasing. I am not keen on Karajan in this set, some of it is very slow, especially the scenes of pageantry.

Mike

Which is your favorite, Mike?