Remastered Karajan Aida on Decca

Started by George, May 15, 2007, 05:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knight66

My favourite Aida is Solti...some cannot take his conducting....but I think it works on this set. Leontine Price, Jon Vickers Rita Gorr. A vintage cast. The Callas version is also excellent, Serafin is first rate, Tucker I enjoy, though not everyone enjoys his voice. It is more the classic Italianate sound than Vickers. However, Vickers really uses the text and is more than a cardboard cut out flawed hero.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 07:46:26 AM
My favourite Aida is Solti...some cannot take his conducting....but I think it works on this set. Leontine Price, Jon Vickers Rita Gorr. A vintage cast. The Callas version is also excellent, Serafin is first rate, Tucker I enjoy, though not everyone enjoys his voice. It is more the classic Italianate sound than Vickers. However, Vickers really uses the text and is more than a cardboard cut out flawed hero.

Mike

I'm adding it to THE LIST. Thanks, sir.

:)

knight66

I would really like to know how you find it. The whole Nile Scene goes with drama and a sweep to keep you on the edge of your seat. In its latest incarnation there is no libretto.

Cheers,

Mike

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 07:52:05 AM
I would really like to know how you find it. The whole Nile Scene goes with drama and a sweep to keep you on the edge of your seat. In its latest incarnation there is no libretto.

Cheers,

Mike

Maybe I'll do a side-by-side comparison of the one I mentioned earlier on this thread and the one you enjoy.

knight66

Yes, do.....the sheer sound on the Karajan is more Hi-Fi, but that apart, I do prefer the Solti.

Mike

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 07:56:50 AM
Yes, do.....the sheer sound on the Karajan is more Hi-Fi, but that apart, I do prefer the Solti.

Mike

I meant the Erede.  ;D

knight66

Sorry, right I am with you....that one has an excellent cast too with Stignani, though I suspect it will be belt it out time from the tenor. Let me know if I am wrong.

Mike

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 08:03:53 AM
Sorry, right I am with you....that one has an excellent cast too with Stignani, though I suspect it will be belt it out time from the tenor. Let me know if I am wrong.

You? Wrong? Unlikely.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 06:15:50 AM

The LEGEND series, like this one:

has no libretti.

PW, I think you got screwed. Mine has a 79 page, well-made, glossy booklet. Did you pick it up used, maybe?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

PerfectWagnerite

Got mine at Borders...Yup I got screwed.

marvinbrown

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

So sorry to hear about that.  Mine comes as Sarge's with glossy text and supplementary information.  I do not understand why Borders does not sell it as it is originally published.....did you buy it used? 

marvin

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 15, 2007, 09:35:48 AM

So sorry to hear about that.  Mine comes as Sarge's with glossy text and supplementary information.  I do not understand why Borders does not sell it as it is originally published.....did you buy it used? 

marvin

No it was new, on supposed to be. The shrinkwrap didn't quite fit the box. Now that I think about it maybe someone stole the libretto and Borders try to re-wrap the set and sell it.

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 09:17:57 AM

Just return it. They'll give you a new one.  :-\

karlhenning

PerfectWagnerite

Too late I am afraid. That was awhile ago.

George

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on May 15, 2007, 11:56:56 AM
Too late I am afraid. That was awhile ago.

No matter, trust me on this one. I've done it at Virgin, B&N and Tower. If it doesn't work for some strange reason, try B&N or Virgin.

karlhenning

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 11:59:20 AM
No matter, trust me on this one. I've done it at Virgin, B&N and Tower. If it doesn't work for some strange reason, try B&N or Virgin.

Because after all, they can just send it back to the manufacturer/distributor as defective.

It's worth a try, PW.

George

Quote from: karlhenning on May 15, 2007, 12:00:19 PM
Because after all, they can just send it back to the manufacturer/distributor as defective.

It's worth a try, PW.

Exactly.

I think if PW goes in there with the attitude that it will get replaced, he'll have no problem. Another idea is to call ahead and tell them you need the CD and make sure they have it. Have them hold it, and present your case when you arrive.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 07:18:45 AM
I don't take to del Monaco, healthy voice, but he tends to sing at forte and above.

Mike, this recording's Radames is Carlo Bergonzi...a considerably more subtle singer than del Monaco, and one of my favorite Verdi tenors.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

knight66

Sarge, You are right and I have confused myself. It is years since I heard the set. I do recall the final scene in which Tibaldi sings as well as anyone could and the tenor was much less subtle and loud. Odd, as Bergonzi was a really tasteful singer.

Mike