30 (78.9%)
Sym. 8
9 (23.7%)
Sym. 9
32 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 18, 2007, 07:17:13 AM

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Bunny

I chose 3,7, & 9 which are my favorites today, but I'm a fickle lover.  Tomorrow it could well be 2,4 and 8; or 1,5, and 6.  I'm just happy that I don't have to make a binding choice about these works. ;)

karlhenning

Quote from: Bunny on May 15, 2007, 10:05:24 AM
I'm just happy that I don't have to make a binding choice about these works.

Too late  ;D

not edward

8, 4 and 7 for me, in that order--the first two because they're infinitely fresh, the third because it's just damn good fun.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Bach Man

Maciek

Quote from: karlhenning on May 15, 2007, 07:25:49 AM
Great idea, Don!

Tough call, but I voted for the Fourth, Sixth & Seventh.

Since the subject of twins has been brought up, may I mention, Karl, that I do not believe you! You simply typed those three in because you somehow managed to peek into my choices (befor I actually made them...). I know that. It's obvious. So no need to hide it.

George

Valentino

4 needed C. Kleiber, and I was hooked.

What about 10 then, in this magnificent recording?

We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

beclemund

9, 3 then 5 (but that could be 7 or 8 as well as picking that third favorite was tough). The 9th is probably the one I have the most different readings of and definitely the one I listen to most by a long shot.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Lethevich

I knew that the 4th and 8th were the least popular of 3-9, but I didn't know that the (relative) dislike of the 8th was so great as to give the 4th double the amount of votes...
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

hornteacher

In order (most favorite to least favorite):  9 5 7 3 1 8 4 6 2

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Michel

For me, in order:

2, 3, 7, 4

My faves.

George

Quote from: orbital on May 15, 2007, 01:58:42 PM
That's gold George! Gold!   :D

Yes it is, Banya!  ;D

Whom do you like in the glorious 6?

I like Walter and Boehm.  :)

orbital

Quote from: George on May 15, 2007, 02:00:01 PM
Yes it is, Banya!  ;D

Whom do you like in the glorious 6?

I like Walter and Boehm.  :)
Sorry to say I don't have a lot of choices. I only had two recordings, one of which is Masur on Philips and the other was Klemperer (VOX) which I primarily bought for the Missa Solemnis. However Beethoven's Mass did not do much for me, so I have not listened to it a lot, and I somehow lost the second CD with the sixth on it  ::)

So whenever I need to hear that thunder I (have to) turn on Masur, and it is quite a heavy one :)

Michel

This bloody thread and our discussions on the other one have made me go and spend a load more money....deary me..

Barenboims complete cycle, then Bohm's symphonies 2,4,5 and something else then Guldas complete piano recordings..argh!

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 15, 2007, 02:42:17 PM
This bloody thread and our discussions on the other one have made me go and spend a load more money....deary me..

Barenboims complete cycle, then Bohm's symphonies 2,4,5 and something else then Guldas complete piano recordings..argh!

That's Rob's motivation - to get us to buy more music. ;D

DetUudslukkelige

3, 7, 9, in no particular order. 7 is the one I listen to most often, probably, but I can't really choose a favorite between the three. For a long time, I would have said 3, 5, 9, but I had never given the seventh its fair chance.
-DetUudslukkelige

"My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary." - Martin Luther