Sym. 8
9 (23.7%)
Sym. 9
32 (84.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: May 18, 2007, 07:17:13 AM

Don

Quote from: Michel on May 17, 2007, 11:54:59 AM
I have been meaning to get some for a while, but I hesistate as I am deaf in one ear, and don't really want the direct sound in my ear - I need to be careful with what I have.

Understood.

Lethevich

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 17, 2007, 08:44:04 AM
Also, after the 9th thread i'm more suspicious then ever about such 'odd' choices. It's hard to tell which is an honest preference and which is fueled by ulterior motives anymore...

No doubt more feminist conspiricists out to destroy society!!!!!!!!!!1
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Lethe on May 17, 2007, 03:55:16 PM
No doubt more feminist conspiricists out to destroy society!!!!!!!!!!1

Old Europe has been dead for half a century. There is no society to destroy, we already live in the dark ages.  ;D

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Don

The voting has closed, and the results are as expected; the 9th is the runaway winner with the 1st and 2nd recognized as trash.  :D

I thank you all for your participation!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Don on May 18, 2007, 06:29:21 PM
The voting has closed, and the results are as expected; the 9th is the runaway winner with the 1st and 2nd recognized as trash.  :D

Ha!

Don

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 18, 2007, 07:27:17 PM
Ha!

Is that the only response I get after giving an insightful analysis of the voting results?  This is a tough crowd.

rappy

I would have voted for 8 / 6 / 4 (in that order)

Haffner

Awaiting the assault:

These are the "parts" of LvB's Symphonies that I adore:

#1: 1st and 4th Movements
#3,4, and 5:   1st movements in each
#6:  Pretty much the whole damn thing
#9: 1st, 2nd, and 4th (I just can't seem to "get" the 3rd movement...a great cure for insomniac evenings for me!)

Andy's overall Symphonic LvB favorites: the 1st movement of the "Eroica", and the 4th movement of the 9th.

Just being honest. For me, the perfect Symphonies (all the way through) are Mozart's last six;Haydn's nos  96, 102, and 104; Shostakovich nos. 4 and 14; Mahler nos. 4, 5, and 9; Profokiev "Classical", Tchaikovsky's "Pathetique",and Mendelssohn's "Italian".

Beethoven for me was the master of Chamber Music, particularly the Piano Sonatas/Trios and of course the String Quartet.

Bunny

Quote from: Don on May 15, 2007, 02:45:35 PM
That's Rob's motivation - to get us to buy more music. ;D

Well, it certainly has worked.  I just went to BRO and found some of Wyn Morris's Beethoven and immediately started salivating.  Now I'll have to wait to hear it. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Don on May 18, 2007, 09:46:14 PM
Is that the only response I get after giving an insightful analysis of the voting results?  This is a tough crowd.

:)

Well, as much as I like 1 & 2, how could I have put one of them in ahead of 9, for example. I think the poll starter was unnecessarily mean not letting us have up to 9 choices... :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bunny

Quote from: Don on May 18, 2007, 09:46:14 PM

The first and second are far from trash.  They are merely overshadowed by the mightier symphonies.  Btw, I picked the general consensus favorites as my favorites, fwiw.  That doesn't make the 3rd, 7th, and 9th the only great symphonies, nor does it make me a prophet. 

BachQ

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2007, 08:34:26 AM
I think the poll starter was unnecessarily mean not letting us have up to 9 choices... :(

Yeah, the poll would be much more meaningful if we could cast 9 (or even 10) votes . . . . . .

Haffner

Quote from: Bunny on May 20, 2007, 08:57:38 AM
The first and second are far from trash.  They are merely overshadowed by the mightier symphonies.  Btw, I picked the general consensus favorites as my favorites, fwiw.  That doesn't make the 3rd, 7th, and 9th the only great symphonies, nor does it make me a prophet. 

I always thought that the 4th movement of the 1st was one of the best pieces that Mozart never wrote.

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2007, 08:34:26 AM
:)

Well, as much as I like 1 & 2, how could I have put one of them in ahead of 9, for example. I think the poll starter was unnecessarily mean not letting us have up to 9 choices... :(

8)
Quote from: Haffner on May 20, 2007, 09:22:40 AM

I always thought that the 4th movement of the 1st was one of the best pieces that Mozart never wrote.

Yup.  Number 1 made my top three cut.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Mozart

Quote from: Florestan on May 17, 2007, 10:40:47 PM
Fourth, Sixth, Eighth.

I have seen this pattern before!

...Ten Twelve Fourteen

Steve

If I could have indicated individual movements...

Eroica, Opening Movement
4th, Second Movement
9th, Fourth Movement

karlhenning

Well, at least the Eighth garnered more votes than than the First and Second together . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: Don on May 18, 2007, 06:29:21 PM
. . . the 9th is the runaway winner . . . .

Esteemed Don, far be it from me to precipitate upon a ceremonial march . . . .

But the Ninth edged the Seventh by only two votes (32 vs. 30);  furthermore, it received votes from only a marginal majority of voters (32 out of 59).  I'm not reading that as a runaway  8)

Valentino

I've changed my mind. 4, 6 and 8. That's today's vote.
On the serious side, 1 is the only one I have problems getting to. Inmaturity on my behalf I guess.

Mind you, 3 is outside any competition.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma