Albert Roussel - A Sadly Neglected French Composer.

Started by Superhorn, September 15, 2008, 12:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not edward

The 2nd symphony is from 1919-1921, in fact. It's his last orchestral work before his turn towards neoclassicism. Like Scarpia, I have trouble thinking of it as a truly symphonic work; it seems to me to be one of those pieces that add up to rather less than the sum of its parts. (Not something I could say of the works of Roussel's neoclassical period.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

RJR

When you listen to Roussel's Second Symphony, think of WWI.

madaboutmahler

I absolutely love Roussel's music and agree that he has been unfairly neglected when much of his music had stunning beauty , thrill and originality! My personal favourites would be the 3rd symphony (one of my favourite French symphonies ever written, along with the Berlioz Fantastique and Saint Saens 3), Bacchus et Ariane and Le Festin de l'araignée. And I also find the "Suite in F" irresistably enjoyable!

At the moment, I own Dutoit's recording of the 4 symphonies and am thinking of buying the more recent Deneve Naxos recordings. Could I have some opinions on these recordings please?
[asin]B003NEQAX6[/asin]

Also, what do you think of Jarvi's recording of the 3rd symphony which I might get as well?

One area of Roussel's output I have not explored too much is the chamber output. Should I, and is this cd a good choice?

[asin]B000H0MH0O[/asin]

Thank you,
Best Wishes
Daniel
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 03, 2011, 11:59:42 AM
I absolutely love Roussel's music and agree that he has been unfairly neglected when much of his music had stunning beauty , thrill and originality! My personal favourites would be the 3rd symphony (one of my favourite French symphonies ever written, along with the Berlioz Fantastique and Saint Saens 3), Bacchus et Ariane and Le Festin de l'araignée. And I also find the "Suite in F" irresistably enjoyable!

At the moment, I own Dutoit's recording of the 4 symphonies and am thinking of buying the more recent Deneve Naxos recordings. Could I have some opinions on these recordings please?
[asin]B003NEQAX6[/asin]

I've listened to that several dozen times since buying it a year ago and it is totally, totally outstanding. Deneve's a thrilling conductor and his collaboration with the Scottish band is pretty much unimpeachably great in this music. This is a consensus GMG favorite, I think, especially Symphony No 3 and Bacchus et Ariane (though I, too, have a soft spot for the Suite in F... and the Debussian Symphony No 1).

P.S. Find Sergiu Celibidache's recording of the Suite in F on Spotify, if you've got Spotify. It's a mind-bendingly different, but strangely appealing, take on the piece.

Drasko

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 03, 2011, 11:59:42 AM

Also, what do you think of Jarvi's recording of the 3rd symphony which I might get as well?

If you are looking for single release 3rd Bernstein is not to be overlooked. He recorded it twice, I have the first New York recording and it's excellent. Complete disc is more than worth hearing in my opinion.

and the 3rd can be heard complete on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdeaAiuCrk

Drasko

Couldn't one of the moderators shorten this pathetic sounding thread title?

not edward

Quote from: Drasko on September 03, 2011, 03:20:11 PM
If you are looking for single release 3rd Bernstein is not to be overlooked. He recorded it twice, I have the first New York recording and it's excellent. Complete disc is more than worth hearing in my opinion.

and the 3rd can be heard complete on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCdeaAiuCrk
I've always wondered about this one--in particular how Bernstein stacks up against Markevitch in Les Choephores.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Drasko

Quote from: edward on September 03, 2011, 03:47:04 PM
I've always wondered about this one--in particular how Bernstein stacks up against Markevitch in Les Choephores.

Haven't listened to either in long time. Let me give them a spin over next few days and will get back to you.

vandermolen

Symphony No 1 (Naxos) was a fine and unexpected recent discovery for me - more 'impressionistic' than I expected.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Superhorn

Another stunning work of Roussel is the orchestral /choral triptych "Evocations" , which was inspired by his visit to the great  ancient temples of Indochina.  In this it resembles Padmavati somewhat.  The third part features vocal soloists and chorus, and the sheer  kaleidascopic color of the work is dazzling . 
   I have the Supraphon recording with the late Zdenek Kosler and the Czech Philharmonic and chorus ,coupled with the suite from the Spider's Feast ballet.  By all means get this if you can find it.
  The only other recording I know of is with  Michel Plasson and the Toulouse orchestra snd chorus on EMI, but I have not heard it.
   Why is this  stunning work never performed ?  I'm sure audiences would love it.

cilgwyn

These threads do usually have a snappier title. Roussel's Rickshaw,Roussel's Road House,Roussel's Ribena,etc? Not that it matters,though.

Evocations? That sounds very intriguing? Although,I think I have heard of it before. I like Supraphon recordings too.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Drasko on September 03, 2011, 03:20:11 PM

I never knew that Bernstein recorded the work! What is the performance like? I will have to look for this, Bernstein is one of my favourites! :)

Daniel
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

For those who thought the Naxos series was over after it got released in a box set, I have good news.  :) Coming in January:

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2011, 06:43:27 AM
For those who thought the Naxos series was over after it got released in a box set, I have good news.  :) Coming in January:

Awesome! Can't wait to hear this performance. Will definitely be picking this one up. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 04, 2011, 12:33:24 PM
I never knew that Bernstein recorded the work! What is the performance like? I will have to look for this, Bernstein is one of my favourites! :)

Daniel

Sorry for the terribly late reply, Daniel (wow you posted this on Sept. 4th). Anyway, the Bernstein performance is especially fine. Passionate and driven --- typical Bernstein. 8) You'll probably have a hard time tracking this one down since it's out-of-print. I was lucky and stumbled upon a used, like new copy from Amazon MP.

The new erato

It's in the Bernstein Symphony box. Still available in a second reprinitng and pretty essential IMO.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Brian on November 13, 2011, 06:43:27 AM

Great - looking forward to this. Any more Roussel planned for release from Deneve after this one?

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 13, 2011, 07:28:38 AM
Sorry for the terribly late reply, Daniel (wow you posted this on Sept. 4th). Anyway, the Bernstein performance is especially fine. Passionate and driven --- typical Bernstein. 8) You'll probably have a hard time tracking this one down since it's out-of-print. I was lucky and stumbled upon a used, like new copy from Amazon MP.

haha, that's quite alright John! :) I must have given you quite a few late replies as well. Thank you for the opinion on the Bernstein recording, it sounds great. Will have to try and track it down. Would be nice to try and find it outside the Bernstein Symphony box, which is close to £100 here in England! Just looking on amazon now and have found a used copy from the MP for £11, so to the wishlist it goes! ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Daverz

Quote from: madaboutmahler on September 04, 2011, 12:33:24 PM
I never knew that Bernstein recorded the work! What is the performance like? I will have to look for this, Bernstein is one of my favourites!

He recorded it twice, the second time for DG.

madaboutmahler

— Ludwig van Beethoven

Daverz

Quote from: madaboutmahler on November 13, 2011, 01:41:05 PM
Which one is 'better'?

I haven't had enough time to compare them.  I really like the muscularity of the NYP performance, and it's well recorded (I have the Masterworks Heritage CD.)  You get much more interesting couplings, too.