Albert Roussel - A Sadly Neglected French Composer.

Started by Superhorn, September 15, 2008, 12:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Rue de Roussel.

I haven't heard anything by Roussel before, but am listening to the Piano Concerto now, and it sounds like I need to investigate further sometime.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on August 28, 2012, 03:38:01 PM
Rue de Roussel.

I haven't heard anything by Roussel before, but am listening to the Piano Concerto now, and it sounds like I need to investigate further sometime.

I feel like I'm on a political action committee here, haha!!

BUY ZOLOFT NOW

BUT ZOLOFT NOW

BUY ZOLOFT NOW

Superhorn

Mirror Image

Rue de Roussel.

His Piano Concerto is a very minor work, Karlo. You should definitely hear his four symphonies, especially Symphony No. 3 and the ballets Le festin de l'araignée and Bacchus et Ariane. For me, these are his crowning achievements.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2012, 05:26:21 PM
His Piano Concerto is a very minor work

:o :o :o

sacre bleu!!

mm... I see the Title hasn't changed yet. >:D preparing spam cannon

eyeresist

Quote from: snyprrr on August 30, 2012, 05:34:52 AM
mm... I see the Title hasn't changed yet. >:D preparing spam cannon

Yeah - change "sadly" to "justly" :P

snyprrr

How long will poor Roussel be subjected to this indignity. :'(

Brian

Quote from: eyeresist on August 30, 2012, 06:23:58 PM
Yeah - change "sadly" to "justly" :P
Just for that, I'm putting on Le marchand de sable qui passe as my bedtime music.

Karl Henning

Rue de Roussel.

Tell me about the Concerto, Karlo. Three movements, overall duration? How is the piano writing? TIA
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2012, 05:26:21 PM
His Piano Concerto is a very minor work, Karlo. You should definitely hear his four symphonies, especially Symphony No. 3 and the ballets Le festin de l'araignée and Bacchus et Ariane. For me, these are his crowning achievements.

I don't know the piano concerto, so like Karl, I shall be interested in hearing what you have to say about that, Karlo! I completely agree with John that you should definitely listen to works like the 3rd symphony and ballets. Really great works! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

snyprrr

I'd say the PC is a little like Stravinsky, but more gruff and clangy.

Let's not forget the Thread Title!! ;)

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on August 31, 2012, 03:04:42 AM
Tell me about the Concerto, Karlo. Three movements, overall duration? How is the piano writing? TIA

Three movements, Lélia Gousseau (piano), Paul Sacher & Orchestre des Concerts Lamoureux take 16:34
Piano and Orchestra (piccolo, 2 flutes, oboe, english horn, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 2 horns, 2 trumpets, timpani, triangle, snare drum, cymbals, bass drum, strings)

There's certainly a bit of the Sacre Stravinsky there, stabbing chords and that sort of stuff. Not much happy (major) stuff. Eerie slow movement with nice sonorities from the winds.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on September 01, 2012, 06:43:52 AM
You mean the sadly neglected thread title?

I fear my resolve won't nearly equal that of the watchers. CHANGE THE TITLE ALREADY SO I CAN GO ON WITH MY LIFE!!!!

snyprrr

snyprrr

So, there was this girl I was hot for, and time goes on, and this and that, and her birthday was coming up, and I thought this would be a good time to ask her out.

Now, in between, there is a death in the family, and, poof, all this change,... but, I digress. So, I'm at this function where I'm sure to see her, and, there she is,... but, she's sitting next to this, frankly, doofus looking guy,... and, then I see the finger bruises on her upper arm,... uh, from where he's holding her when he's pounding,... and,... uh,...

Yes, I'm about to get sick too. Has this happened to you that when you're ready to ask out the one you're sweet on, that you end up seeing/hearing something that you simply cannot un see? Oh, I tell you my friends, that stuff hurts, even if it is just bullshit.

Having someone say, "Sorry, I'm dating someone", is just galaxies away from seeing some unworthy's handiwork in all its glory. Talk about leaving a bad taste in the mouth,.. eeewww, spit, yak, sp sp sp,... ack, there's hair on my tongue, gag!!

So, did I tell you what happened when this other cute lady ask ME :o out?? No? Well, it was even worse than this one. You want to complain about Roussel, who, at least, some people like? Try getting a date in this neck of the woods. >:D

snyprrr