Albert Roussel - A Sadly Neglected French Composer.

Started by Superhorn, September 15, 2008, 12:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Mirror Image

snyprrr, I really wish you would give it up. It's obvious the OP isn't going to change the thread title. Put your energies into something else. You're adding nothing to the discussion with this kind of discourse.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 05, 2012, 10:11:40 AM
snyprrr, I really wish you would give it up. It's obvious the OP isn't going to change the thread title. Put your energies into something else. You're adding nothing to the discussion with this kind of discourse.

How bout the mods just do everyone a favor, hmm?

Maybe someone could complain to the mods. I mean, this wasn't meant to be discourse: I have hijacked the roussel thread!!; this was meant to piss people off. So, whether the thread title gets changed, or I get baned, matters not when the stakes are this high!!

Get used to hearing what I had for breakfast right here, until someone SHOWS ROUSSEL SOME RESPECT!!!

ugh :(

mahler10th

Roussel is not played as often as perhaps he should.  He has a real champion in fellow Frenchman, conductor Stéphane Denève.  I must listen to what I have of Roussel, by Denève and my home band the RSNO.  Out there are the symphonies,  Bacchus et Ariane, etc on Naxos, and even a box set of the same too.  Charles Dutoit and Orchestre National de France also have a full symphonic release and a box of chamber works is available from Brilliant Classics.  I have only listened a couple of times to Roussel...I will pick up on it, because I remember liking what I heard.  I am not so sure he is 'sadly neglected' though.   :(  But aye, we should hear more of him...
***pans through CD's to find Roussel****

snyprrr

Quote from: Scots John on September 05, 2012, 07:50:04 PM
Roussel is not played as often as perhaps he should.  He has a real champion in fellow Frenchman, conductor Stéphane Denève.  I must listen to what I have of Roussel, by Denève and my home band the RSNO.  Out there are the symphonies,  Bacchus et Ariane, etc on Naxos, and even a box set of the same too.  Charles Dutoit and Orchestre National de France also have a full symphonic release and a box of chamber works is available from Brilliant Classics.  I have only listened a couple of times to Roussel...I will pick up on it, because I remember liking what I heard.  I am not so sure he is 'sadly neglected' though.   :(  But aye, we should hear more of him...
***pans through CD's to find Roussel****

Perhaps you would like to visit the New, 'Real' Roussel Thread? :-*

snyprrr

TheGSMoeller

Which one for a first complete symphonies cycle? Please includes comments on why if you could.  :)

[asin]B003NEQAX6[/asin]

[asin]B000003FOF[/asin]

Brian

Well, I don't have the Janowski to compare, unfortunately, but one reason to "splurge" on the Naxos is all the bonus goodies: the rip-roaring full-throttle ballet Bacchus et Ariane (the bacchanale is one of my favorite endings in all music, and the Scottish horns are jaw-dropping); the ultimate soul comfort food of the cheery Suite in F; and a work that I've played dozens of times at bedtime to end my day, Le marchand de sable qui passe - this is an oversimplification, but basically, try to imagine an orchestration of Clair de lune that was 18 minutes long.

Some day I plan to get the Janowski and throw them into head-to-head combat, but I've gotten my money's worth out of the Naxos box from the Suite in F alone: it's become my ultimate pick-me-up music, for when I need a quick restorative. Works as well as stuff like Strauss waltzes, Rossini overtures, L'apprenti sorcier, and a piece it's not that far off from in style, Chabrier's Espagna. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 28, 2013, 04:44:29 AM
Which one for a first complete symphonies cycle? Please includes comments on why if you could.  :)

[asin]B003NEQAX6[/asin]

Get the Deneve for the reasons that Brian points out. There are so many goodies scattered on each disc that it makes it an instant recommendation. If you buy the Deneve set you might as well pick up this one as well (which isn't included in the box set):

[asin]B006BBVLVO[/asin]

snyprrr

The OTHER Roussel Thread- A Sadly Neglected French Composer Thread :'(

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on October 28, 2013, 08:20:29 AM
The OTHER Roussel Thread- A Sadly Neglected French Composer Thread :'(

Well, I guess whingeing isn't all that attractive . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on October 28, 2013, 08:14:33 AM
I am more interested in this Brilliant box

[asin]B000KEHMHU[/asin]

Thanks, that does indeed look interesting.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Christo

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 30, 2011, 03:44:03 PMDavid - yes, I own the Brilliant set of his Chamber Works (posted back on pg. 2 in 2008!) - enjoyed but probably have not listened to the recording since that time, so cannot make any specific comments @ the moment; the price is certainly right for the 3-CD set; some decent Amazonian reviews that are more than the typical short comments (4+/5* overall rating) & excellent review on MusicWeb - seems like the best compilation at present - Dave  :D

Thanks for the tip. Found it today in a second-hand shop, for 1 euro.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on October 28, 2013, 08:33:38 AM
Thanks, that does indeed look interesting.

Quote from: Christo on June 20, 2015, 07:29:29 AM
Thanks for the tip. Found it today in a second-hand shop, for 1 euro.  :)

Thanks for the reminder  8)  I really should at least listen to the samples . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

cilgwyn

I love some of these older recordings of French music by French conductors. This cd includes a recording of his late ballet for chorus and orchestra,Aeneas. I must admit to being quite bowled over by the quality of this score. The choral contributions are terrific.

Maestro267

I'm tempted to pick up the two Ultima 2-disc sets, one containing the 4 symphonies, the other containing other orchestral works including three complete ballets.