Bernarda Fink

Started by dtwilbanks, May 15, 2007, 08:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtwilbanks

I have her new Brahms disc and am enjoying it. Anything else good by her? Anything to avoid?

Any other mezzo-soprano recital CDs you want to mention? I know nothing about this topic and am interested in your opinions.

Thanks.

knight66

I don't know her voice well, I have her in a couple of pieces and she is excellent. The world of the Mezzo recital is rich. I have reviewed some here....
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,555.0.html

Additionally, anything with Sarah Mingardo or Janet Baker, there is a thread about Baker here....

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,522.0.html

Stephanie Blyth has produced a couple of interesting discs, one is Handel and Bach, the other Brahms, Mahler and Wagner.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 10:29:33 AM
I don't know her voice well, I have her in a couple of pieces and she is excellent. The world of the Mezzo recital is rich. I have reviewed some here....
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,555.0.html

Additionally, anything with Sarah Mingardo or Janet Baker, there is a thread about Baker here....

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,522.0.html

Stephanie Blyth has produced a couple of interesting discs, one is Handel and Bach, the other Brahms, Mahler and Wagner.

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

dtwilbanks

Just got this (in case you don't visit the "Purchases" thread).

[Oh, and that Aida you mentioned in the other thread.]

knight66

I am sure you will enjoy Mingardo. She is a very special singer. I am away for a while now, so I hope to read how you get on with the discs when I get back.

Cheers,

Mike

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 08:03:51 PM
I am sure you will enjoy Mingardo. She is a very special singer. I am away for a while now, so I hope to read how you get on with the discs when I get back.

That's a real weird position to sing: caved in, unstraight, head up, not a lot of chest capacity...
She could make it as a clothes model though.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Maciek

That's not her. That is a clothes model. ::)

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: MrOsa on May 16, 2007, 01:08:37 AM
That's not her. That is a clothes model. ::)

So what does she have to do with the Stabat Mater?
(silly question, I'm sure...)

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Maciek

The whole Opus 111 Vivaldi series has got models instead of musicians on the covers. E.g.:

Our's not to reason why... ;D

dtwilbanks

Mingardo seems to be a contralto, not a mezzo-soprano. I don't believe they are the same thing. Her voice on the above recording is noticeably deeper than Fink's.  Though I still enjoy the recording.

val

Regarding Bernarda Fink, a contralto that I love very much, I suggest one recording: Rameau's opera "Hippolyte et Aricie", conducted by Minkowski. Bernard Fink's interpretation of Phèdre is extraordinary.

dtwilbanks

Thanks, Val!

Someone please explain this mezzo-soprano vs. contralto thing. Fink has been tagged as both, so I assume, depending on the part or the piece, she can sing both. Yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff.  :)

dtwilbanks

Quote from: dtwilbanks on May 17, 2007, 06:29:52 AM
Thanks, Val!

Someone please explain this mezzo-soprano vs. contralto thing. Fink has been tagged as both, so I assume, depending on the part or the piece, she can sing both. Yes, I'm a newbie at this stuff.  :)

Hello? Testing. Testing. 1-2-3.  ;D

Now playing: Kathleen Ferrier

Maciek

Oh, I looove Ferrier! I think I'll start a thread for her right now! :D

knight66

I guess this issue of whether someone is a contralto or a mezzo comes down to the richness and comfort at the bottom of the voice, rather than only the roles. Many of each voice have a lot of overlapping repertoire.

Mingardo has a richness of voice she takes down to the bottom of the range of music she sings and I think she would be regarded as a contralto. Having said this, I have heard her sing Berlioz where she was singing the son of Aeneas and she lightens the voice sounding more like a mezzo. Fink I am not sufficiently familiar with to give an opinion. I think she is excellent, but I have most of her repertoire by other singers.

Mike

The new erato

Fink's Schumann recording on HM is one of my essential Lieder discs!

dtwilbanks

Quote from: erato on May 28, 2007, 02:44:14 AM
Fink's Schumann recording on HM is one of my essential Lieder discs!

Thanks, erato. I'm adding it to my wish list.