Author Topic: Toch Talk  (Read 28055 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Toch Talk
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Emotional high points made me think of Zemlinsky.

Now THAT impression I find highly fascinating!  Did any specific Zemlinsky work come to mind?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    something between my ears
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2022, 04:20:28 PM »
Now THAT impression I find highly fascinating!  Did any specific Zemlinsky work come to mind?

I was thinking of Z's String Quartet no. 2. But l need to hear more Toch, you can't get a good feel for anyone new in just a few minutes... or l can't at any rate. 
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Online Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »
I was thinking of Z's String Quartet no. 2. But l need to hear more Toch, you can't get a good feel for anyone new in just a few minutes... or l can't at any rate.

A few minutes?  ???

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2022, 08:15:09 PM »
A few minutes?  ???

Yes, a few minutes. I work full-time overnight or " graveyard " shifts, grab whatever fractured sleep l can during the day, and do whatever needs doing within those two dominant constraints. I always devote my full attention to music, so l want to be fully awake and cognizant if it's a new work or an unfamiliar composer. As Ernst Toch only came to my attention on Monday, I've not had any real opportunities for listening in depth. But I'll have some real time over the weekend, so stay tuned.  8)

Online Spotted Horses

• Veteran member
  • Formerly Baron Scarpia and Parsifal
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2022, 04:24:15 AM »
Yes, a few minutes. I work full-time overnight or " graveyard " shifts, grab whatever fractured sleep l can during the day, and do whatever needs doing within those two dominant constraints. I always devote my full attention to music, so l want to be fully awake and cognizant if it's a new work or an unfamiliar composer. As Ernst Toch only came to my attention on Monday, I've not had any real opportunities for listening in depth. But I'll have some real time over the weekend, so stay tuned.  8)

I can relate to your time constraints (except for the bit about the weekend). But 10 minute is the minimum time window I will generally assign to music.

Offline LKB

• Veteran member
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2022, 08:38:32 AM »
Home from work, and about to crash for ( hopefully ) several hours. At some point in the evening I'll devote some time to Toch. I want to hear more of the Cello Sonata, l think it intrigued me more than the symphony or String quartet did. It'll probably be tomorrow ( or very late tonight ) before l post anything more, but I'll certainly get back here.