Toch Talk

Started by karlhenning, September 16, 2008, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cato

Quote from: LKB on July 26, 2022, 03:29:53 PM

Emotional high points made me think of Zemlinsky.

Now THAT impression I find highly fascinating!  Did any specific Zemlinsky work come to mind?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

LKB

Quote from: Cato on July 27, 2022, 12:31:29 PM
Now THAT impression I find highly fascinating!  Did any specific Zemlinsky work come to mind?

I was thinking of Z's String Quartet no. 2. But l need to hear more Toch, you can't get a good feel for anyone new in just a few minutes... or l can't at any rate. 
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Spotted Horses

Quote from: LKB on July 27, 2022, 05:20:28 PM
I was thinking of Z's String Quartet no. 2. But l need to hear more Toch, you can't get a good feel for anyone new in just a few minutes... or l can't at any rate.

A few minutes?  ???
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

LKB

Quote from: Spotted Horses on July 27, 2022, 06:28:35 PM
A few minutes?  ???

Yes, a few minutes. I work full-time overnight or " graveyard " shifts, grab whatever fractured sleep l can during the day, and do whatever needs doing within those two dominant constraints. I always devote my full attention to music, so l want to be fully awake and cognizant if it's a new work or an unfamiliar composer. As Ernst Toch only came to my attention on Monday, I've not had any real opportunities for listening in depth. But I'll have some real time over the weekend, so stay tuned.  8)

Spotted Horses

Quote from: LKB on July 27, 2022, 09:15:09 PM
Yes, a few minutes. I work full-time overnight or " graveyard " shifts, grab whatever fractured sleep l can during the day, and do whatever needs doing within those two dominant constraints. I always devote my full attention to music, so l want to be fully awake and cognizant if it's a new work or an unfamiliar composer. As Ernst Toch only came to my attention on Monday, I've not had any real opportunities for listening in depth. But I'll have some real time over the weekend, so stay tuned.  8)

I can relate to your time constraints (except for the bit about the weekend). But 10 minute is the minimum time window I will generally assign to music.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

LKB

Home from work, and about to crash for ( hopefully ) several hours. At some point in the evening I'll devote some time to Toch. I want to hear more of the Cello Sonata, l think it intrigued me more than the symphony or String quartet did. It'll probably be tomorrow ( or very late tonight ) before l post anything more, but I'll certainly get back here.

Spotted Horses

Having listened through the cpo set of the 8 extant string quartets, I find them very appealing and found myself wondering if I should revisit the symphonies, which in the past I had found less than appealing.

A quick sample indicates, that indeed the symphonies don't appeal to me. Too many musical ideas intertwine in the many voices of the orchestra and I can't make heads nor tails of it. Having four voices concentrates his attention, I think.

Symphonic Addict

+1 for his string quartets. They were truly revelatory when I heard them two years ago.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky