Toch Talk

Started by karlhenning, September 16, 2008, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

(Title inspired by Cato's thread . . . was it really only at the old GMG? Couldn't scare it up here at all.)

Although I have heard as yet only the symphonies and the Bitter Herbs Cantata, I think highly of Toch.

Here he is on wikipedia.

lukeottevanger

Not even the (whisper it) Geographical Fugue?

All together now:

Trinidad! And the big Mississippi and the town Honolulu and the lake Titicaca. The Popocatapetl is not in Canada rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico.....

karlhenning

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 16, 2008, 10:11:18 AM
Not even the (whisper it) Geographical Fugue?

Ach! How could I forget?

Indeed, back in the season of Mark's wedding, we heard it in concert!

Guido

Except when we sang (said?) it at 6th form it was more like: TRINIDAD!!! And the BIG(!) Mississippi and the TOWN(!) Honolulu and the lake Titicaca (teehee!!). The Popocatapetl is not in Canada rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico...

We were bad kids  ;D
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Well, having school agers say Titicaca in unison is just inviting mass-gigglage.

(Did Toch know? . . .)

Guido

It was a sort of post modern self referential giggle at least (well at least for some of us) - we were all aged between 16 and 18, so at least we were aware of our childish immaturity! Maybe that makes it worse...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Cato

Greetings!

Cato's here, so everybody get off the bar and get on the wall!   $:)

Ernst Toch is highly recommended: in my earlier, apparently lost writings here, I reviewed all the symphonies.

My Internet circumstances are not the best right now: allow me to summarize quickly that Toch follows a more tuneful path, somewhat less stressful path than e.g. Karl Amadeus Hartmann, but a path no less impressive in its own way!

The clarity of Toch's counterpoint and the expressivity of the lines I have always found amazing.  On this point the String Quartets are not to be forgotten!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

karlhenning

Hmm . . . Toch string quartets . . . and my birthday is coming up . . . .

The new erato

Stumbled across this in my collection:

Now I must hear it!

karlhenning

bhodges

Quote from: Cato on September 16, 2008, 11:10:10 AM
The clarity of Toch's counterpoint and the expressivity of the lines I have always found amazing.  On this point the String Quartets are not to be forgotten!

Don't have much Toch, but I do have a couple of the string quartet recordings on CPO (Nos. 6 and 12 with the Verdi Quartet, below) and like them, at least after a couple of hearings.  Definitely an underrated composer.

--Bruce

J.Z. Herrenberg

I have heard several of Toch's symphonies, and his Big Ben Overture. I also have his excellent study The Shaping Forces in Music, An Inquiry into the Nature of Harmony, Melody, Counterpoint and Form (Dover Books, 1977)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

Quote from: Jezetha on September 16, 2008, 11:40:09 AM
I have heard several of Toch's symphonies, and his Big Ben Overture.

And....? Inquiring minds want to know!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: erato on September 16, 2008, 11:41:46 AM
And....? Inquiring minds want to know!

I should re-acquaint myself with them, it's been two years... But the musical language appealed to me - modern in a 'European mid-20th century' sense, a bit spiky, colourful. Not too far away from, say, Honegger. Serious.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on September 16, 2008, 11:48:39 AM
I should re-acquaint myself with them, it's been two years... But the musical language appealed to me - modern in a 'European mid-20th century' sense, a bit spiky, colourful. Not too far away from, say, Honegger. Serious.

In addition to the CPO complete symphonies set conducted by the ever enterprising Alun Francis, I have the Symphony No.3 conducted by William Steinberg on EMI, the Symphony No.5 "Jephta" coupled with the Cantata of the Bitter Herbs conducted by Gerard Schwarz on Naxos , and the two CDs below. The New World Records Disc is interesting because it couples the early Piano concerto No.1 written in 1926 while Toch was still in a relatively youthful 'avant-garde' phase' with lighter and later music. It is remarkable that Toch took to the symphony fairly late in life(hist 1st was completed when he was 62) and then composed a further six in the next 15 years. In fact the last three were written within the last year of his life while he was dying of cancer.

An 'easier' composer than Krenek certainly but I am not sure that as a symphonist he outdoes his fellow Austrian Egon Wellesz but more of Wellesz anon :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 16, 2008, 12:53:50 PM
In addition to the CPO complete symphonies set conducted by the ever enterprising Alun Francis, I have the Symphony No.3 conducted by William Steinberg on EMI . . . .

Boston? Pittsburgh?

Dundonnell

Quote from: karlhenning on September 16, 2008, 12:56:12 PM
Boston? Pittsburgh?

Pittsburgh. Coupled with Hindemith's 'Mathis der Maler' Symphony and Stokowski conducting Frank Martin's Petite Symphonie Concertante.

scarpia

Quote from: Cato on September 16, 2008, 11:10:10 AM
Ernst Toch is highly recommended: in my earlier, apparently lost writings here, I reviewed all the symphonies.

I also don't  understand why my earlier thread, "Toch's Cock" was deleted.  Apparently discussion of Toch and/or foul is frowned on in these parts.

Kullervo

Quote from: scarpia on September 16, 2008, 01:40:25 PM
I also don't  understand why my earlier thread, "Toch's Cock" was deleted.  Apparently discussion of Toch and/or foul is frowned on in these parts.

That was you? What was your nick then?

karlhenning

Oh, goodie! Genuine adolescent locker-room humor!