Toch Talk

Started by karlhenning, September 16, 2008, 10:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 17, 2008, 10:14:22 AM
I am a slightly insane completist who just has to be able to pick any piece of orchestral music of the last 150 years off his shelves :) :) :)

Except works by the greatest symphonist Tirol ever produced...  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Rufinatscha
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

The new erato

Quote from: Jezetha on September 18, 2008, 02:27:40 AM

I visited Innsbruck this summer and simply FORGOT to visit the Landesmuseum - where i had planned to buy the Rufinatscha CD's !!!  :-\

karlhenning

I see Brett is listening to the Second Symphony, and here I've forgotten to bring any Toch with me . . .

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on September 18, 2008, 02:27:40 AM

Since five out of his six symphonies seem to have been written before 1850 I can justify not investigating by asserting that he lies outside my arbitrary '150 years' :) :)

Why, oh why did I buy all eight symphonies by the Swiss composer Hans Huber(1852-1921)?? I just know that I will probably never listen to them again :(

Guido

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 17, 2008, 10:14:22 AM
Alternative explanation........I am a slightly insane completist who just has to be able to pick any piece of orchestral music of the last 150 years off his shelves :) :) :)

Any piece of music in the last 150 years? That's quite a project... Presumably this must be thousands of CDs, maybe even tens of thousands...
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dundonnell

Quote from: Guido on September 18, 2008, 05:37:48 AM
Any piece of music in the last 150 years? That's quite a project... Presumably this must be thousands of CDs, maybe even tens of thousands...

Oh..no, no, no :) :) I am not a millionaire(or a Hedge Fund manager :)

I said "orchestral music"! I made the decision a long time ago that I would concentrate on orchestral music of the last 100-150 years. That makes my collection horribly unbalanced-I fully accept that :( To a true musician such a collection is probably an absolute outrage :-[ All I can do is plead financial necessity :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: erato on September 18, 2008, 04:54:51 AM
I visited Innsbruck this summer and simply FORGOT to visit the Landesmuseum - where i had planned to buy the Rufinatscha CD's !!!  :-\

That's too bad. I remember you were planning on doing that...  :o

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2008, 05:04:24 AM
Since five out of his six symphonies seem to have been written before 1850 I can justify not investigating by asserting that he lies outside my arbitrary '150 years' :) :)

Okay, you win. Just.  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Guido

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2008, 05:51:22 AM

I said "orchestral music"! I made the decision a long time ago that I would concentrate on orchestral music of the last 100-150 years. That makes my collection horribly unbalanced-I fully accept that :( To a true musician such a collection is probably an absolute outrage :-[ All I can do is plead financial necessity :)

Sorry yes I meant to type orchestral music - even then surely a massive project! I'm not downgrading my estimation of the number of CDs!
Geologist.

Dundonnell

Oh it's not quite as bad as you think :) I suppose that I have around 2500 CDs currently and it would be hard to find many orchestral works composed between around, say, 1880 and the present day which have been issued on CD(!) which are not in my collection-with the exception of anything which I consider 'avant-garde', ie Webern, Boulez and their followers(sorry, I know that's terribly vague and utter heresy :) :))

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2008, 06:56:35 AM
Oh it's not quite as bad as you think :) I suppose that I have around 2500 CDs currently and it would be hard to find many orchestral works composed between around, say, 1880 and the present day which have been issued on CD(!) which are not in my collection-with the exception of anything which I consider 'avant-garde', ie Webern, Boulez and their followers(sorry, I know that's terribly vague and utter heresy :) :))

At last! I've been hoping to find someone with all 15 symphonies of von Schnausseger (1839-1912) (it's the first three which are hard to get hold of, of course)! Any chance of you uploading me a copy?

The new erato

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2008, 05:51:22 AM

Hedge Fund managers are not millionaires any more.

Dundonnell

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 18, 2008, 07:09:28 AM
At last! I've been hoping to find someone with all 15 symphonies of von Schnausseger (1839-1912) (it's the first three which are hard to get hold of, of course)! Any chance of you uploading me a copy?

You are making fun out of me now aren't you :) :)

(But....I did check!...Oh, sad, isn't it :) :))

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 18, 2008, 07:14:24 AM
You are making fun out of me now aren't you :) :)

(But....I did check!...Oh, sad, isn't it :) :))

I think Luke had Siegmund von Hausegger in mind...

Dundonnell

Quote from: erato on September 18, 2008, 07:11:30 AM
Hedge Fund managers are not millionaires any more.

Aren't they the ones who are speculating in deals like the Lloyds/HSBOS merger? Shows how little I know about the world of high finance :)

I spend all my money on cds of music by obscure composers and expensive holidays in Norway :) :)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Jezetha on September 18, 2008, 07:16:27 AM
I think Luke had Siegmund von Hausegger in mind...

Did he :-\  von Hausegger didn't compose 15 symphonies-just the one(which I have got 0:)) and died in 1948 anyway.

Why do I get the feeling that I am being mocked :)

lukeottevanger

Möckt? Adolf Möckt, 1874-1948? Yes, indeed, there's another one - his symphonic poem Zephyrus (including soprano, tenor and bass wind machines) is very high on my wish list too. Do you have it?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 18, 2008, 07:41:20 AM
Möckt? Adolf Möckt, 1874-1948? Yes, indeed, there's another one - his symphonic poem Zephyrus (including soprano, tenor and bass wind machines) is very high on my wish list too. Do you have it?

Soprano, tenor and bass wind machines...  ;D ;D Yes, ol' Adolf was very good with wind.

Dundonnell

Quote from: lukeottevanger on September 18, 2008, 07:41:20 AM

:) :) :)

Any piece with wind machines must-by very definition-be worth hearing ;D ;D

Point me in its direction(catalogue number included, preferably) and I will order it at once from one of the many central European record shops which subsist exclusively on my custom :)

Guido

How about Taktemikii's (1903 - 1957) apocalyptic masterpiece The Singing Bell for 3 symphony orchestras, orchestra of bells and a wind machine made of thunder sheets.

Or Pißtääke's symphony of a thousand gongs?
Geologist.

karlhenning

Or Toch's piece . . . oh, wait a second.