Most Recorded Conductors

Started by Shrunk, May 15, 2007, 08:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrunk

For some reason, I was curious about which conductors have issued the most recordings over their career.  Although this may not be the most accurate method, I went to Arkivmusic and clicked on their link of "Most Popular Conductors".

No surprise as to who's number one, but it's still a bit of an eye-opener to see the extent to which he outdistances the pack.  The one I'm surprised to see on the list is #9.  I don't think I have a single recording by him.  Anyway, the list:

1. Herbert von Karajan (778)
2. Neville Marriner (564)
3. Leonard Bernstein (403)
4. Claudio Abbado (360)
5. Georg Solti (332)
6. Colin Davis (327)
7. Karl Bohm (319)
8. Zubin Mehta (311)
9. Neeme Jarvi (305)
10. Eugene Ormandy (300)

Of course, the accuracy of the list is skewed by only including recordings currently in print on CD.

Drasko

Quote from: Shrunk on May 15, 2007, 08:54:00 AM
The one I'm surprised to see on the list is #9. 

I'm surprised that he is that low on the list.

Don

Who is the most recorded singer of classical music?

uffeviking

Instead of just having yet another list, why not carry it further and now discuss why Herbert von Karajan is the most recorded conductor - at the present of course.

He realised very early the importance of recorded music being widely available throughout not only his native country but the entire world. He formed his own company, Telemondial and installed in his house in Anif and St. Moritz $40,000. worth of cutting cables. He was the one who immediately accepted the CD and worked hard with his friends at Sony to develop the Laser Video Disc system.

That's why he is on top of the list, he not only conducted he also marketed recordings of his performances!  ;D

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Don on May 15, 2007, 09:25:51 AM
Who is the most recorded singer of classical music?

If I have to guess it would be Schwarzkopf, or maybe Callas. For males probably DFD.

knight66

I have read several times that Arleen Auger was the most recorded singer, due to her being involved in so many Bach recordings. Callas would be no where near. Caballe must have quite a few, Sutherland also. I agree that DFD may hold title for the males, even Domingo looses out to him due to the number od song discs DFD made and Domingo has never been into the oratorio works.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Don

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 09:53:33 AM
I have read several times that Arleen Auger was the most recorded singer, due to her being involved in so many Bach recordings. Callas would be no where near. Caballe must have quite a few, Sutherland also. I agree that DFD may hold title for the males, even Domingo looses out to him due to the number od song discs DFD made and Domingo has never been into the oratorio works.

Mike

Based on what's listed in ArkivMusic, Domingo is by far the most recorded singer (male or female).

uffeviking

What happened to the original thread containing the word Conductors???

Bunny

For some reason, I was curious about which conductors have issued the most recordings over their career.  Although this may not be the most accurate method, I went to Arkivmusic and clicked on their link of "Most Popular Conductors".

No surprise as to who's number one, but it's still a bit of an eye-opener to see the extent to which he outdistances the pack.  The one I'm surprised to see on the list is #9.  I don't think I have a single recording by him.  Anyway, the list:

1. Herbert von Karajan (778)
2. Neville Marriner (564)
3. Leonard Bernstein (403)
4. Claudio Abbado (360)
5. Georg Solti (332)
6. Colin Davis (327)
7. Karl Bohm (319)
8. Zubin Mehta (311)
9. Neeme Jarvi (305)
10. Eugene Ormandy (300)

Of course, the accuracy of the list is skewed by only including recordings currently in print on CD.

What happened to George Szell?  He certainly should be on this list.  Who compiles these statistics? 

Todd

Arkiv's recording listing isn't really an accurate guide to who recorded how much.  Somehow you'd have to figure in all the repackagings of the same recordings (good luck with that) as well as factor in all the recordings not available.  I'll bet Karl Bohm made more recordings than listed above, for instance.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

knight66

Quote from: Don on May 15, 2007, 10:02:20 AM
Based on what's listed in ArkivMusic, Domingo is by far the most recorded singer (male or female).

I can't help thinking that DFD has by far more recordings, but they may not all be available.

Mike

knight66

Quote from: Todd on May 15, 2007, 10:14:13 AM
I'll bet Karl Bohm made more recordings than listed above, for instance.

Yes, that is a good point.

Mike

karlhenning

The one I'm surprised to see on the list is #9.

I think that all but about 15 of those 305 recordings were rushed through for the Prokofiev centenary  8)

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: uffeviking on May 15, 2007, 09:31:16 AM
Instead of just having yet another list, why not carry it further and now discuss why Herbert von Karajan is the most recorded conductor - at the present of course.

That's why he is on top of the list, he not only conducted he also marketed recordings of his performances!  ;D

Karajan may be top of the list, but look at how many re recordings of works he did? 4 Beethoven cycles....ye gods  ;)

Now a list of different works, on cd would no doubt have Sir Nev on top  ;D

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

uffeviking

Quote from: Bunny on May 15, 2007, 10:11:26 AM
Who compiles these statistics? 

The stats were taken from Arkiv Music, as the originator of the thread explained.

knight66

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on May 15, 2007, 10:25:22 AM

Now a list of different works, on cd would no doubt have Sir Nev on top  ;D

How many of them remain top recommendations though?

Mike

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 10:31:28 AM
How many of them remain top recommendations though?

Mike

Over Karajan? ....anything English  ;D

All that Karajan hyperbole to put the guy top of the list...I would like to know how many repeats he did....and shame on him, NO Elgar  :-X  The darned Coward "second rate Brahms"...my Arse ;)

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

karlhenning

Don't hold back, Tony; tell us how you really feel!  ;)

knight66

Is your arse musical then?.....Had Karajan but known! But can we compile a list of memorable Marriner recordings? I like his B Minor Mass, a good DLVDE...there has to be more than that.

Mike

karlhenning

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 10:42:05 AM
Is your arse musical then?.....Had Karajan but known!

Two words, Mike:

Starlight Express