Most Recorded Conductors

Started by Shrunk, May 15, 2007, 08:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 10:42:05 AM
Is your arse musical then?.....Had Karajan but known! But can we compile a list of memorable Marriner recordings? I like his B Minor Mass, a good DLVDE...there has to be more than that.

Mike

Mike,

Why are you turning it into a fight between Karajan & Marriner, not once have I said I like or appreciate Marriner.

Read carefully

And yes my arse can appear as musical as much as the some of the crap people are talking within this thread

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

karlhenning

Dang, I've overstepped my bounds again . . . .

knight66

I am not turning to any kind of argument, I have not supported Karajan at all. I agree, he re-recorded every time there was an advance in technology. But his work seems to have stood up better than Marriner's whose mainstay has been overtaken by the HIP brigade.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

uffeviking

Quote from: karlhenning on May 15, 2007, 10:50:05 AM
Dang, I've overstepped my bounds again . . . .

On the contrary! Karl, you are breathing life into an otherwise dull 'another list!' thread.  0:)

MishaK

Quote from: Shrunk on May 15, 2007, 08:54:00 AM
For some reason, I was curious about which conductors have issued the most recordings over their career.  Although this may not be the most accurate method, I went to Arkivmusic and clicked on their link of "Most Popular Conductors".

No surprise as to who's number one, but it's still a bit of an eye-opener to see the extent to which he outdistances the pack.  The one I'm surprised to see on the list is #9.  I don't think I have a single recording by him.  Anyway, the list:

1. Herbert von Karajan (778)
2. Neville Marriner (564)
3. Leonard Bernstein (403)
4. Claudio Abbado (360)
5. Georg Solti (332)
6. Colin Davis (327)
7. Karl Bohm (319)
8. Zubin Mehta (311)
9. Neeme Jarvi (305)
10. Eugene Ormandy (300)

Of course, the accuracy of the list is skewed by only including recordings currently in print on CD.

These numbers only indicate what is available through Arkivmusic, not the total recorded output of these individuals (which may be more or less, given that some reissues are listed twice or more often).

Shrunk

Something I've wondered about Karajan.  He's certainly a controversial, polarizing figure, and my sense is that most music fans today have a negative opinion of him.  Was he this controversial when he was alive, or is this mainly a posthumous phenomenon?

Don

Quote from: uffeviking on May 15, 2007, 10:05:54 AM
What happened to the original thread containing the word Conductors???

It took a detour created by some contrary member.

uffeviking

Quote from: Shrunk on May 15, 2007, 12:10:27 PM
and my sense is that most music fans today have a negative opinion of him. 

There you have me frowning with a puzzled expression on my face. What makes you think that? Among my circle of music loving friends, the general opinion is positive. My friends live in many contries, not just patriotic Austrians, or even native Salzburgers.

Don

Quote from: knight on May 15, 2007, 10:42:05 AM
Is your arse musical then?.....Had Karajan but known! But can we compile a list of memorable Marriner recordings?

I tried, but there's nothing on the page.

Shrunk

Quote from: uffeviking on May 15, 2007, 01:10:48 PM
There you have me frowning with a puzzled expression on my face. What makes you think that? Among my circle of music loving friends, the general opinion is positive. My friends live in many contries, not just patriotic Austrians, or even native Salzburgers.

I guess I'm basing my impression on groups like this!

Brian

Of course, those lists include things like "Best of So-and-So", "100 Great Arias", "Classics for the Baby", etc. I wonder which conductor actually made the most recordings.

Don

Since a few of you are grousing about the accuracy of using ArkivMusic as a source, someone should investigate the matter further.  But it ain't gonna be me; I'm satisfied.