Author Topic: Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(1844-1908)  (Read 22561 times)

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
Re: Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(1844-1908)
« Reply #160 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:22 PM »
Had another listen just now to the 'Christmas Eve Suite' and wonder to myself why I haven't listened to it more often.  Really enjoyed, and especially the absolutely wonderful Polonaise movement.  :)

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #161 on: December 19, 2018, 03:50:43 PM »
Had another listen just now to the 'Christmas Eve Suite' and wonder to myself why I haven't listened to it more often.  Really enjoyed, and especially the absolutely wonderful Polonaise movement.  :)

the whole opera is a gem

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2018, 01:31:26 AM »
I am only very superficiously acquainted with the Opera, but the suite is my favorite of all Rimsky suites with opera extracts. It certainly deserved more popularity. The polonaise is as good as the far more famous one from Tchaikovsky's Onegin.
(I rather dislike the frequent use of an orchestrated version of Chopin's A major Polonaise for the opening of festive dances etc. they should use Onegin or the Rimsky instead.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2018, 05:50:17 AM »
Same here. For my ears the No. 3 is not at the same level of the first 2 symphonies (including Antar), but again, I must revisit it to make a better idea of it.

The one problem with the 3rd Symphony that has probably prevented it from gaining popularity is that the first movement is the weakest, IMO at least. I do agree that it’s not as strong as the 2nd Symphony (Antar), which is an undoubted masterpiece. I must admit I don’t know the 1st Symphony yet.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
Goes straight to the top of my list of favourite Scheherazade recordings (first CD release). Markevitch was a great conductor (Rimsky, Stravinsky, Honegger) and a composer of considerable interest ('Icarus'):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).