Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(1844-1908)

Started by Dundonnell, September 16, 2008, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jowcol

I just want to add myself to the list of fans of "Antar".  While Scheharezade is still a masterwork, I find Antar much more moving and introspective, and a lot of times it demonstrates that "less is more".

I'm also a fan of the Russian Easter Overture.

Also interesting about R-K was that when he and Scriabin talked about seeing different colors to different keys, there was one key (A flat major?) that R-K said that he couldn't "see".
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

Dundonnell

Agree about the Russian Easter Festival Overture :)

It is a pity that the Overture as a musical form seems to have fallen by the wayside :( All concerts used to begin with a rousing Overture and R-K's is as rousing as any ;D The Berlioz Overtures as well, come to mind, as cracking starts to a concert ;D

drogulus

Quote from: jowcol on November 21, 2008, 04:35:46 PM
I just want to add myself to the list of fans of "Antar".  While Scheharezade is still a masterwork, I find Antar much more moving and introspective, and a lot of times it demonstrates that "less is more".

I'm also a fan of the Russian Easter Overture.

Also interesting about R-K was that when he and Scriabin talked about seeing different colors to different keys, there was one key (A flat major?) that R-K said that he couldn't "see".

It's interesting that you mentioned Scriabin because I thought of his 3rd Symphony, which like Antar has a theme that appears in all the movements.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Maciek

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 19, 2008, 11:50:44 AM
If you are interested in another aspect of Rimsky's composition you could try this CD which contains four rousing secular cantatas including the splendid vigorous  "The Song of Oleg the Wise" together with "The Song of Alexis, Man of God", "The Girl in the Lake" and "From Homer".

Colin, is The Girl in the Lake a Mickiewicz setting? I know that R-K wrote a cantata to the words of Świtezianka but haven't been able to discover its exact title. I'd very much like to hear that piece......

Maciek

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on November 22, 2008, 03:01:50 AM
Colin, is The Girl in the Lake a Mickiewicz setting? I know that R-K wrote a cantata to the words of Świtezianka but haven't been able to discover its exact title. I'd very much like to hear that piece......

Sorry, Maciek, I completely missed your question :( I apologise!

Yes...the cd notes say that "In 1897, just after finishing his opera 'Sadko', he(R-K) returned to Lev Mey's poem after Mickiewicz Switezianka(The Girl in the Lake), whose first lines he had already set in 1862 in a song of the same title(op. 7 no.3)-the song's main theme, incidentally, recurs in the cantata."

I shall upload the Cantata later for you, sir ;D

Maciek

Aha! It turns out to be more complicated than I expected. I thought it was a straightforward Mickiewicz setting (gleaned the information from a fuzzy encyclopedic entry about various kinds of Slavonic rusalkas) but now I see it's not even a translation but an adaptation. Still, this would be very interesting to hear... I'll PM you about it. ;)

Dundonnell

http://www.mediafire.com/?tvzgqoyzymy

Cantata "The Girl in the Lake" Elena Mitrakova(soprano), Dmitri Kortchak(tenor), Moscow Academy of Song Chorus and the Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Vladimir Ziva.

Maciek

Brahmsian

Scheherezade & Russian Easter Festival Overture are both works that I heard live in concert last year.  Although I had heard Scheherezade before the concert, the live performance of the Russian Easter Festival Overture was my first exposure to the work, and I was immensely impressed.  It was outstanding as a concert opener!  :)

Has anyone heard the Fantasy on Russian Themes for violin & orchestra, Op.33?  It is fantastic!!  If you love Russian music, you'll LOVE this piece.  I just listened to this recording of it, featuring Lydia Mordkovitch on the violin:

Maciek

Wasn't aware of that piece. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

eyeresist

I have that CD, and for my money the Rimsky piece is the highlight (sorry, Taneyev!).

I've sampled Jarvi, Svetlanov and Kitajenko in the symphonies, and find the last most satisfactory overall. Kitajenko is certainly best in the 1st.

Are there any handy sets of the chamber music anyone can recommend?

Brahmsian

Quote from: eyeresist on April 11, 2011, 05:38:17 PM
I have that CD, and for my money the Rimsky piece is the highlight (sorry, Taneyev!).

In this case, I agree with you!  Although I have enjoyed both works, the highlight and the gem of this disc is the Rimsky-Korsakov piece (sorry Tsar Taneyev!)

madaboutmahler

Only two pages for Rimsky Korsakov?  :o

Obviously I absolutely adore Scheherezade (one of my favourite pieces ever!), Capriccio Espagnol, Russian Festival Overture etc, and have done for years. However, today was the first time I listened to another of his works: the 2nd symphony. Absolutely loved it!! Absolutely brilliant work, I'll be listening to a lot more Rimsky Korsakov I'm sure.

I was looking for possible recoridngs on amazon, and was excited to come across this Svetlanov 5cd set of many of Rimsky's orchestral works for just £4!!!! It was a no-brainer! I'm sure I'll either get the Jarvi or Kitajenko's set of the symphonies in the future as well. Anyway, here's the Svetlanov that I'm sure many of you won't pass the oppurtunity to get at such a give-away price!!
[asin]B000PFT1Y6[/asin]

Would be nice to get this thread moving! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brahmsian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
Obviously I absolutely adore Scheherezade (one of my favourite pieces ever!), Capriccio Espagnol, Russian Festival Overture etc,

*pounds the table*

Yes, I'm going on a bit of a Rimsky-Korsakov sojourn, me self.  Many first listens (including the symphonies).

Even though it isn't Russian Easter time yet, it is in Canada.  Starting Monday, I am listening to the Russian Easter Overture every day for the week!!  ;D 

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
Only two pages for Rimsky Korsakov?  :o

Obviously I absolutely adore Scheherezade (one of my favourite pieces ever!), Capriccio Espagnol, Russian Festival Overture etc, and have done for years. However, today was the first time I listened to another of his works: the 2nd symphony. Absolutely loved it!! Absolutely brilliant work, I'll be listening to a lot more Rimsky Korsakov I'm sure.

I was looking for possible recoridngs on amazon, and was excited to come across this Svetlanov 5cd set of many of Rimsky's orchestral works for just £4!!!! It was a no-brainer! I'm sure I'll either get the Jarvi or Kitajenko's set of the symphonies in the future as well. Anyway, here's the Svetlanov that I'm sure many of you won't pass the oppurtunity to get at such a give-away price!!
[asin]B000PFT1Y6[/asin]

Would be nice to get this thread moving! :)

The Svetlanov and Jarvi sets are excellent. I've heard not so good things about Kitajenko's performances so I would pass on those. Then there's Bakels, but, still, Svetlanov and Jarvi are to be preferred here IMHO.

Brahmsian

Rimsky-Korsakov

Scheherazade, Op. 35

Sir Thomas Beecham
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

EMI Classics

*I love this work, and this particular recording.  I don't think I own any other Beecham recordings, although I've heard some middle Schubert symphonies under his baton.  Anyways, this is a beautiful performance.

[asin]B000023Z0O[/asin]

MishaK

This is getting a lot of praise. Has anyone heard it yet?

[asin]B003XWFLZQ[/asin]

madaboutmahler

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 24, 2013, 04:45:33 PM
*pounds the table*

Yes, I'm going on a bit of a Rimsky-Korsakov sojourn, me self.  Many first listens (including the symphonies).

Even though it isn't Russian Easter time yet, it is in Canada.  Starting Monday, I am listening to the Russian Easter Overture every day for the week!!  ;D
:D I'll be listening to that work plenty too!!

I really ought to own that Scheherezade recording with Beecham. I only own 2 recordings of one of my favourite works of all time!! :o (Ozawa and Batiz). Svetlanov when it arrives. There are plenty I'd like to get... :)

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 24, 2013, 05:35:35 PM
The Svetlanov and Jarvi sets are excellent. I've heard not so good things about Kitajenko's performances so I would pass on those. Then there's Bakels, but, still, Svetlanov and Jarvi are to be preferred here IMHO.

Thank you for the feedback, John. Are you a Rimsky fan yourself? :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Daverz

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 25, 2013, 04:23:18 AM
Rimsky-Korsakov

Scheherazade, Op. 35

Sir Thomas Beecham
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

EMI Classics

*I love this work, and this particular recording.  I don't think I own any other Beecham recordings, although I've heard some middle Schubert symphonies under his baton.  Anyways, this is a beautiful performance.

[asin]B000023Z0O[/asin]

If you like this, you'll almost certainly like his Balakirev. 

[asin]B00000DO4U[/asin]