Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(1844-1908)

Started by Dundonnell, September 16, 2008, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 25, 2013, 10:23:28 AM

Thank you for the feedback, John. Are you a Rimsky fan yourself? :)

Am I a Rimsky fan? You're joking right? Of course, I'm a fan! Whether you pick Jarvi or Svetlanov, you won't be disappointed.

madaboutmahler

Great, John! Which are your favourites of his?
I got the Svetlanov a few days in a hurry once I found it as it was at a ridiculously low price. £4 for 5 cds!!

I'll probably get the Jarvi at some point soon too. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 26, 2013, 10:44:34 AM
Great, John! Which are your favourites of his?
I got the Svetlanov a few days in a hurry once I found it as it was at a ridiculously low price. £4 for 5 cds!!

I'll probably get the Jarvi at some point soon too. :)

Of course, Scheherazade is a favorite. My favorite symphony is his 3rd. I like the symphonic poem Sadko and the Piano Concerto. Both of these are rarely heard works. But I also enjoy most of all the typical Rimsky showpieces: Russian Festival Overture, Capriccio Espagnol, the opera orchestral suites, etc.

madaboutmahler

Nice, John! All such brilliant works!! Scheherezade has been a favourite for as long as I can remember, playing it in youth orchestra last year maximixed that even further! Masterpiece :)

The 2nd symphony listening a few days ago was when I first ventured out of his more popular works, and I loved it. Looking forward to more when I get the Svetlanov box! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
Only two pages for Rimsky Korsakov?  :o

Obviously I absolutely adore Scheherezade (one of my favourite pieces ever!), Capriccio Espagnol, Russian Festival Overture etc, and have done for years. However, today was the first time I listened to another of his works: the 2nd symphony. Absolutely loved it!! Absolutely brilliant work, I'll be listening to a lot more Rimsky Korsakov I'm sure.

I was looking for possible recoridngs on amazon, and was excited to come across this Svetlanov 5cd set of many of Rimsky's orchestral works for just £4!!!! It was a no-brainer! I'm sure I'll either get the Jarvi or Kitajenko's set of the symphonies in the future as well. Anyway, here's the Svetlanov that I'm sure many of you won't pass the oppurtunity to get at such a give-away price!!
[asin]B000PFT1Y6[/asin]

Would be nice to get this thread moving! :)
I started with the Jarvi and never really felt they did the works justice. I wanted more. Harry had suggested Bakels. I must admit I had some skepticism due to the orchestra, but I find them quite good. I'd guess that Svetlanov is good in this, but you may want to try and give the Jarvi a test-drive somehow before buying them.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 26, 2013, 04:18:48 PM
I started with the Jarvi and never really felt they did the works justice.

That's Jarvi, though; it's ingrained in his podium personality. He learns music, records it with technical proficiency, and moves on, but only rarely does he seem to really believe in the music. I find almost all his forays into little-known repertoire to be like the generic, plain-wrapped version of a brand-name product.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brian on March 26, 2013, 04:49:21 PM
That's Jarvi, though; it's ingrained in his podium personality. He learns music, records it with technical proficiency, and moves on, but only rarely does he seem to really believe in the music. I find almost all his forays into little-known repertoire to be like the generic, plain-wrapped version of a brand-name product.
I wouldn't go that far myself. I like (at least some of) his Grieg, Gade, Halvorssen, Khachaturian, Schmidt, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, and Steinberg (and probably there is more). So I am not inclined to dislike him. I just feel that here he misses the mark and doesn't make the music (Rimsky-K) as exciting or as soulful as some other versions out there. I forget the details at this point, so perhaps I will need to refresh my listening to be more specific as to why.

Elgarian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
Only two pages for Rimsky Korsakov?
Would be nice to get this thread moving!

There's more than you might think, but not in this thread. We had a major blitz on Scheherazade just over a year ago, with lots of different recordings discussed (including Beecham, Dutoit, Svetlanov, etc) starting here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,4892.msg600643.html#msg600643

I wonder if it'd be worth asking for that 'recordings' thread to be added to this one?

Lisztianwagner

Nikolai Rimsky-Kosakov was the first Russian composer I've discovered, along with Tchaikovsky, and he is certainly one of my favourites; works like Scheherazade, Capriccio Espagnol, the Russian Easter Festival Overtures, the Symphony 'Antar' and the Piano Concerto are absolutely wonderful.
One of the aspects of Rimsky-Korsakov's compositions that impresses me more is their brilliant, marvelous orchestration, it features very colourful timbres, a daring harmony and it beautifully uses all the expressive possibilities of the instruments, especially in the string and in the woodwind section, to evoke particular atmospheres and suggestive images. I also like the great elegance, the intensity and the exotic, melodious themes expressed in his music very much.
Among my other favourites Rimsky-Korsakov's piece there are also the 1st and the 3rd Symphony, the Flight of the Bumblebee and the Fantasia on Russian Themes.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

The new erato

But his best work is in the operas. Kitezh is one of the best romantic operas ever, and Sadko isn't far behind.

mszczuj

Quote from: The new erato on March 27, 2013, 11:22:33 AM
But his best work is in the operas.

I have just wanted to write that he was above all the opera composer.

Florestan

But his best work is in the operas. Kitezh is one of the best romantic operas ever, and Sadko isn't far behind.

Don't forget May Night8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Lisztianwagner

I'm sorry I haven't listened to his operas yet; I'll make sure to listen to Kitezh, May Night or Sadko at some point.

Any recommendations about the recordings?
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

North Star

How is this set?
[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: North Star on March 27, 2013, 12:41:10 PM
How is this set?
[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]
Very good. I would have picked it up myself if I didn't already own most of it! :)

Just keep in mind that it is not perfect. For example, there is a lot of stage noise on Sadko, but the playing is top notch. I also don't like every singer, but overall, they are pretty good.

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 27, 2013, 01:04:18 PM
Very good. I would have picked it up myself if I didn't already own most of it! :)

Just keep in mind that it is not perfect. For example, there is a lot of stage noise on Sadko, but the playing is top notch. I also don't like every singer, but overall, they are pretty good.
More or less my impression too. Variable, but mainly good or better, and there's not much competition in modern sound for much of it.

Brahmsian

I have lots to look forward to then, Erato!  I have the Brilliant Classics 25 CD Rimsky-Korsakov edition.  It includes the following operas (not all of them):

*May Night
*The Snow Maiden
*Mozart and Salieri
*The Noblewoman Vera Sheloga
*The Tsar's Bride
*The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh
*The Golden Cockerel

I just recently heard the Kitezh Suite for the first time and it was flat out amazing!!

Which one to listen to first?  Hmm?  :)

Hattoff

All Rimsky's operas are brilliant but his most inventive is the opera-ballet Mlada; full of unusual ideas and themes and probably his most modern sounding piece.
His songs are all top class too.

Cato

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 27, 2013, 03:19:16 PM

*The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh

I just recently heard the Kitezh Suite for the first time and it was flat out amazing!!

Which one to listen to first?  Hmm?  :)

Dude!  Right there is your answer!

I have this set for Kitezh:

[asin]B00002DF33[/asin]
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)