Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(1844-1908)

Started by Dundonnell, September 16, 2008, 01:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Brahmsian

Quote from: Cato on March 28, 2013, 03:50:45 AM
Dude!  Right there is your answer!

I have this set for Kitezh:

[asin]B00002DF33[/asin]

Done!  It will be on tonight's platter!

Different performance.  From the Brilliant Classics CD box:

[asin]B008E8XU5W[/asin]

kyjo

Inspired by the opera thread, I've been wanting to investigate Rimsky's operas. I'm considering this set; what do members think of it?

[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]

Included are The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh, Kashchey the Immortal, the Maid of Pskov, Sadko and The Tsar's Bride.

bhodges

Quote from: kyjo on September 20, 2013, 11:16:26 AM
Inspired by the opera thread, I've been wanting to investigate Rimsky's operas. I'm considering this set; what do members think of it?

[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]

Included are The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh, Kashchey the Immortal, the Maid of Pskov, Sadko and The Tsar's Bride.

I have heard most of these individually, and don't think you would be disappointed acquiring it. Here and there, some of the singers could be stronger, but overall Gergiev (and his terrific orchestra) give performances that will likely remain as top recommendations for some time.

And of course, it doesn't hurt that he is virtually unchallenged in some of these - there just *aren't* other recordings available (or at least, good ones).

--Bruce

kyjo

Quote from: Brewski on September 20, 2013, 11:51:07 AM
I have heard most of these individually, and don't think you would be disappointed acquiring it. Here and there, some of the singers could be stronger, but overall Gergiev (and his terrific orchestra) give performances that will likely remain as top recommendations for some time.

And of course, it doesn't hurt that he is virtually unchallenged in some of these - there just *aren't* other recordings available (or at least, good ones).

--Bruce

Thanks, Bruce! :)

Moonfish

There is a really interesting article about "The Tsar's Bride" in this month's Listen Magazine!

http://www.listenmusicmag.com/masterwork/from-darkness-a-colorful-tapestry.php
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

snyprrr

Quote from: vandermolen on September 19, 2008, 07:42:41 AM
I'd recommend his Christmas Eve Suite; a really lovely, magical work.

Is That Your Final Answer?

As with all these other Russian Composers, I'm being forced back in time to reclaim some lost artifact. What is my quest here with Rimsky? I know there's just too much, and I do seem to recall the looong stretches of nap time (maybe I just wasn't 'there' yet?) that came with NRK research.

I need "magical", or the most 'starry night' without a lot of the BigBoomBoom,... is there some Debussy in there somewhere,haha??

I seriously doubt I will be hearing any opera singing here, but some orchestral suites- if there's any of that "magic" crack in there. Did I mention I need the "magic"? haha :laugh:

I'll look at the Discography and get back here soon.

vandermolen

Symphony No. 2 'Antar' is quite a magical work. Its theme is picked up in Miaskovsky's 21st Symphony, with which it once shared a fine RCA LP, with Morton Gould conducting. Sadly never on CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

relm1

Is it just me or does Rimsky-Korsakov seem unfairly neglected in the opera world?  I am interested in hearing Tsar Sultan opera but in searching Amazon, Arkiv, etc., there is only one recording available from 1959 of the opera.   Few (maybe one) modern recordings of the Golden Cockerel and its from the 1980's live performance and that is a gorgeous opera.  Why the neglect in this major operatic composer who formed such a major bridge between 19th century Russian nationalism of "The Five" then mysticism/faery tale then the 20th century modernist movement?  It seems like he should be better represented.  All his works I've heard have been very intriguing and inventive.  Is this neglect because he was overshadowed by his contemporaries? 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on December 25, 2014, 06:17:45 AM
Is it just me or does Rimsky-Korsakov seem unfairly neglected in the opera world?  I am interested in hearing Tsar Sultan opera but in searching Amazon, Arkiv, etc., there is only one recording available from 1959 of the opera.   Few (maybe one) modern recordings of the Golden Cockerel?  Which is a gorgeous opera.  Why the neglect in this major operatic composer?

You don't know about the Gergiev set, eh?

[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 25, 2014, 06:21:46 AM
You don't know about the Gergiev set, eh?

[asin]B004I4HCT6[/asin]

I know about it and it doesn't include the operas I described.  They were not recorded in the Gergiev series hence my point is the omission of many major operas from any availability. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on December 25, 2014, 06:24:23 AM
I know about it and it doesn't include the operas I described.  They were not recorded in the Gergiev series hence my point is the omission of many major operas from any availability.

Ah, okay. I didn't even look at what operas were in this set. Oh well...I'm in no dire need to hear Rimsky-Korsakov's operas.

kishnevi

There are two DVDs of Coq d'Or

The first one seems to be a traditional Soviet production with traditional Soviet low budget cinematography.

Jaakko Keskinen

Well, I would say Rimsky-Korsakov is a decent composer. :P Scheherazade and golden cockerel are certainly sublime works.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Scion7

Although it had to be completed by his son in law (Steinberg), and R-K himself decided that chamber music was not his thing in his memoirs, and even though it 'borrows' a bit from Beethoven and Schumann  :P , this is a good, if not a great, piece.  The melody of the first movement is very nice.  It's too bad there were not some "trio" friends around that summer of 1897 to play the manuscript (like a Clara and Joachim to Brahms) to give him advice and encouragement on his abilities in the field.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

cilgwyn

Quote from: relm1 on December 25, 2014, 06:17:45 AM
Is it just me or does Rimsky-Korsakov seem unfairly neglected in the opera world?  I am interested in hearing Tsar Sultan opera but in searching Amazon, Arkiv, etc., there is only one recording available from 1959 of the opera.   Few (maybe one) modern recordings of the Golden Cockerel and its from the 1980's live performance and that is a gorgeous opera.  Why the neglect in this major operatic composer who formed such a major bridge between 19th century Russian nationalism of "The Five" then mysticism/faery tale then the 20th century modernist movement?  It seems like he should be better represented.  All his works I've heard have been very intriguing and inventive.  Is this neglect because he was overshadowed by his contemporaries?
I finally bought the Melodiya cd set of The Tale of Tsar Saltan  a couple of months ago. It is an ancient recording,but unless you are allergic to mono,it is very good for it's era and I really do wonder whether you will get a new performances as good as that one. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it,and hearing the famous orchestral suite in it's original context. A very nice looking jewel case too;although I prefer the usual kind. The absence of an english translation of the libretto might bother some people,but the music was so delightful and tuneful it didn't spoil my enjoyment,one bit. (That said!!!) Mind you,it is rather strange that such a lovely opera has had so few recordings;and a new one,preferably from Russia,would be very desirable indeed! It really is a very beautiful and enjoyable opera,and imo,it doesn't deserve it's neglect,at all!

There appears to be a translation,here:

http://aquarius-classic.ru/album?aid=188&tid=7&ver=eng

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 24, 2015, 05:32:27 AM
I finally bought the Melodiya cd set of The Tale of Tsar Saltan  a couple of months ago. It is an ancient recording,but unless you are allergic to mono,it is very good for it's era and I really do wonder whether you will get a new performances as good as that one. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it,and hearing the famous orchestral suite in it's original context. A very nice looking jewel case too;although I prefer the usual kind. The absence of an english translation of the libretto might bother some people,but the music was so delightful and tuneful it didn't spoil my enjoyment,one bit. (That said!!!) Mind you,it is rather strange that such a lovely opera has had so few recordings;and a new one,preferably from Russia,would be very desirable indeed! It really is a very beautiful and enjoyable opera,and imo,it doesn't deserve it's neglect,at all!

There appears to be a translation,here:

http://aquarius-classic.ru/album?aid=188&tid=7&ver=eng
Looks like a very interesting release so thanks for this. Rimsky K was my way into classical music. I listened, with much pleasure to the "May Night' overture a couple of days ago. His son in law Steinberg's Second Symphony is another work I greatly admire, with its wonderfully redemptive ending.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spineur

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 25, 2014, 07:10:46 AM
There are two DVDs of Coq d'Or

I watch the blu-ray version of this production.  Its strength are
1° The staging of Ennosuke Ichikawa a renown figure of the Kabuki theater, used in Japan for Popular epic stories.  A single an minimalist scene (here a staircase), and the very expressive hieractic motion of the actors which suit this fantastic opera all in symbolism.
2° The chorus of the Marinsky theater which was part of this french production.  It is essential for act one and three which are dominated by the orchestra & chorus while Act 2 is mostly devoted to singer performance.  There is a very nice ballet in act 2.
I found the adaptation of Pouchkine novel by Vladimir I. Bielsky lacked subtelty, when compared to other symbolic operas.
In this Blu-Ray, the sound is satisfactory but not great.  Overall, I am pleased by this acquisition and I spent a nice sunday evening with it.

Scion7

I like this cover.
It should be the envy of Eeeeeeng-vay.   :P

But a Greek hoplite warrior on the cover?   ???
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on June 25, 2016, 03:41:01 PM

I like this cover.
It should be the envy of Eeeeeeng-vay.   :P

But a Greek Hoplite warrior on the cover?   ???

Wildly inappropriate, but nonetheless cool. I should have thought a Kalender Prince would do nicely...

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)